"Young Justice" News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvelman02

Well, I'm not convinced that they are the most powerful - except for Superman. Hawkwoman is a fierce warrior but she is hardly one of the most powerful leaguers.

Has anyone considered that maybe these six were chosen so that the members of the team may be deprived of the guidance of their mentors? Guidance they might still need? I am thinking especially of Nightwing, Superboy, and Miss Martian. This might be a case of Greg upping the stakes.

Kristin would make a wonderful Artemis - if she was fifteen.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Geodude

Well Jennifer Lawrence played a teenager who is several years younger than she is in real life. As did Emma Stone in the new Spider-Man movie. Heck, Tom Welling was like 10 years older than Clark was supposed to be when he started playing him.

Now that I think about it though, Kristin must be around 28-30 right now...a bit too old, unless she played second-season Artemis. :)

Skaddix

Well, I'm not convinced that they are the most powerful - except for Superman. Hawkwoman is a fierce warrior but she is hardly one of the most powerful leaguers.

Has anyone considered that maybe these six were chosen so that the members of the team may be deprived of the guidance of their mentors? Guidance they might still need? I am thinking especially of Nightwing, Superboy, and Miss Martian. This might be a case of Greg upping the stakes.

Hmm, interesting I think its mostly homage though.

They did lose most of their physical powerhouses as well. Superman, Wonder Women, Martian Manhunter and Icon. Leaves them with Captain Atom and Captain Marvel so 2/3 s.
Lost All Their Green Lanterns. Still have Rocket, Red Tornado and Black Lightning as non magic energy users. So 1/2 their.
Assuming Bruce and Atom are the only super geniuses on the team that is 1/2 their as well.
Still Strong on the Magic Front with Dr. Fate and Zatanna.
Lost All Their Alien Members as well and everyone with firsthand knowledge on aliens as well which is interesting.

So yeah serious damage power wise. Since they lost a lot at the top in every category except magic. I would say pretty crippling power wise. Plus number wise since they lost the 6 plus Hawkman, Icon and 2 other GLs (not sure Guy is a member but lets assume) so 10 out of 22 Active or about cut the league numbers by 50%. Major every way you cut it.

Team has to fill the gap. Team has 2 members undercover, 2 retired and 1 Captured. Has 3 Seniors Members and 5 Junior Field Members. Just Got Impulse. So they have about a third of their members off the board. All in all dark days.

MarryLarry

No Whitewashing. Find an someone is half white and half asian to play or an asian. I am tired of minorities especially Asians always getting whitewashed.

That's hilarious because Artemis and her mother have actually been asian-washed(?) in the show, seeing as how they are both originally white in the comics. That happens a lot with movie/tv adaptations of comics.

Skaddix

It happens because Comics suck at diversity. Does not mean the two are equivalent. There are no shortage of white females in movies. How many asian female leads do you see?

Not everyone. He isn't a League member, but Adam Strange is still around.

Only counting leaguers.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged

quigonkenny

Well Jennifer Lawrence played a teenager who is several years younger than she is in real life.
And yet, wonderful as she is, she still wasn't exactly believable playing 16, was she? Probably why her age was kinda glossed over in the movie. Kristin Kreuk would be even worse, though I could see Welling as Clark (he's younger than Supes is supposed to be, but Big Blue always looks younger than he actually is).

All of the characters should be age-appropriate and talented most importantly, with name recognition and genre cred way down the list. Acting ability should always be paramount, and you can't really pull off a believable generation gap if your "kids" are almost as old as their adult role models. A nice way to do it might be to cast well-known stars for the well-known League, with unknowns for the majority of the just as "unknown" younger characters, and less unknowns for the less unknown Robin, Kid Flash, Aqualad, and Speedy.

Geodude

All those are good points. But part of the fun of something like this is matching actors to characters in a physical sense. ;)

RoryWilliams

Then in a physical sense I'd go for someone who is actually Asian.....
Even if she were mixed I wouldn't be too crazy about Lawrence anyway. Fancasts tend to be painfully on the nose based off past career moves so "Oh gosh she played an archer in this movie so she'd be perfect for Artemis!" was never a rationale I quite agreed with. Heck a lot of actors avoid those exact kinds of moves so their careers don't hit a wall and they end up getting typecast.

EDIT: http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/youngjustice/guides/comic/yj22.jpg
YOUNG JUSTICE #22
Written by GREG WEISMAN
Art and cover by CHRISTOPHER JONES
On sale NOVEMBER 21 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E
• The Invasion continues!
• Earth’s greatest heroes are kidnapped by Kylstar!
• Brainiac has Metropolis under glass and Lex Luthor’s secret weapon is on the loose!
Mod Note: Link updated.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Check out The World's Finest for the details on the November 2012-shipping issue of Young Justice! Click here for all the details!

Geodude

Sounds like a cool issue. Yay for Brainiac. Love the little touch on the cover with Nightwing and Batgirl "touching palms" on opposite sides of the barrier.

Avengers

It really bugs me that brainiac doesn't get an in show story, I was really hoping for that.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Kylstar? Nice. Pulling another character from the Captain Atom comics, Issue #46.

Secret weapon? Match came to mind when I saw that line.

It really bugs me that brainiac doesn't get an in show story, I was really hoping for that.
Have you seen the next 13 episodes? It could still be possible he appears on the show.

Avengers

Have you seen the next 13 episodes? It could still be possible he appears on the show.

Okay, okay I wasn't saying there is no way he can show up with more than half the season remaining but I would be surprised if he did just based on the fact that they told an invasion story with him in comic form and they're not going to tell another brainiac invasion story, so it would be surprising. I am hoping though.

RoryWilliams

If Brainiac was the character Jones was excited about getting to redesign, I don't think he'll be in the show. It seems like if someone appears in the comic but then the show they are at least given model sheets so that the versions match (Atomic Skull, Carol Ferris, Tom, and the Terror Twins). So far the ones who Jones and the previous artists claim they got to redesign (Talia, Ubu, Psycho Pirate) haven't appeared in the TV show in any form.

MarryLarry

It happens because Comics suck at diversity. Does not mean the two are equivalent. There are no shortage of white females in movies. How many asian female leads do you see?

That has nothing to do with what I was saying. Your previous post implied there is tons of white-washing in comic adaptations when it is quite the opposite. I don't care why that is, I'm just correcting an incorrect implication.

Skaddix

I am saying there is tons of whitewashing in movie conversions from materials. Avatar the Last Airbender being perhaps the most egregious example.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Looks like Kylstar appears first in #21 and the best look at it will be on the cover of #23.

If Brainiac was the character Jones was excited about getting to redesign, I don't think he'll be in the show. It seems like if someone appears in the comic but then the show they are at least given model sheets so that the versions match (Atomic Skull, Carol Ferris, Tom, and the Terror Twins). So far the ones who Jones and the previous artists claim they got to redesign (Talia, Ubu, Psycho Pirate) haven't appeared in the TV show in any form.
Nitpick but, Skull and the Terror Twins were used before Jones was doing art on the series.

No, Tom Kalmaku was designed by Chris Jones. See his Issue #11 entry

EDIT2 8/15/12

Sweet, seems like Greg Weisman is back to answering a couple questions a day.

In season one, Cissie was 9 years old and an interesting-it's Wednesday-let's read between the lines of this answer:
Given enough episodes and/or comic book issues, Cissie will return.
And, you were right, you did give away the writer order before (and not the directing order yet).

And a cryptic hint from Chris Jones (he's good at that):
Re: the Dick/Babs stuff - watch for the many loves of Dick Grayson in Young Justice #20!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
"many loves of Dick Grayson"? I guess they're just gonna have to round up Zee and every ginger in the DCU...
How many could there possibly be? lol. Sorta adds resonance to Wally's line near the end of "Depths" when Nightwing presents the necklace. But in all seriousness, there were something like 10 or 12 love interests in the comics, maybe more with the New 52 verse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts