DC Comics Animation - Physical/Digital Media News & Discussion Thread, Part 20 (Spoilers)

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's time for the 20th installment of the official DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread - the most informative DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray thread online! Outside of official Blu-ray and DVD talkbacks, this is the place to post all your Blu-ray and DVD news and comments! Want the latest news? Well, keep reading this thread!

To check out the newest information, stop by The World's Finest and also look for the latest posts in this thread for updates. For more news and the latest information on what DC Animation is coming to DVD and Blu-ray, also check out this dedicated news update category at The World's Finest!

Archive:

-DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19
-The Official DC Animation Blu-ray/DVD News & Discussion Talkback, Part 18
-The Official DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Talkback, Part 17
-The Official DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Talkback, Part 16
-The Official DC Animation DVD/Blu-ray News & Discussion Talkback, Part 15
-The Official DC Animation DVD News & Discussion Talkback, Part 14
-The Official DC Animation DVD News Talkback, Part 13
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 12
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 11
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 10
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 9
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 8
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 7
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 6
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 5
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 4
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 3
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 2
-The Official DC Animated Universe DVD Talkback, Part 1

Note #1: If you post spoiler material, please use the proper tags.
Note #2: This thread covers home media releases.
Note #3: Please keep the discussion and this thread on-topic. Thank you.
Note #4: If you have any thoughts or feedback on how this thread is run, please l

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
If you missed it, Batman Beyond Series Blu-ray set releases October 29. All 52 episodes and the uncut Return of the Joker, a chrome Batman Beyond Funko, 4 collectible lenticular cards featuring original animation artwork and two brand-new special features celebrating 80 years of the Dark Knight — Nostalgic Tomorrow – A Batman Gathering and Knights Immortal. Full details at WF.

Otaku-sempai

I think, for the sake of completeness, I might want them to include both versions of Return of the Joker since the one is actually an alternate cut--not just edited differently.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Surprised to read the 11 that couldn't be remastered were “Eyewitness,” “Final Cut,” “The Last Resort,” “Armory,” “Sneak Peek,” “The Eggbaby,” “Zeta,” “Plague,” “April Moon,” “Sentries of the Lost Cosmos” and “Speak No Evil.” I thought it'd be some of the early season 1 episodes.

Greg91

Reporter
I'm surprised the Darwyn Cooke short wasn't included here as well. Otherwise, this looks like another great collection and I'm glad they improved the Funko POP situation. Personally, I didn't need one, but at least it's a regular-sized POP unlike the small ones from the BTAS collection that kept falling down.

It's also great to see all the new content that's included such as all-new featurettes. Even the Secret Origins documentary is included from the DVD collection.

#TeamMike

Surprised to read the 11 that couldn't be remastered were “Eyewitness,” “Final Cut,” “The Last Resort,” “Armory,” “Sneak Peek,” “The Eggbaby,” “Zeta,” “Plague,” “April Moon,” “Sentries of the Lost Cosmos” and “Speak No Evil.” I thought it'd be some of the early season 1 episodes.

I'm honestly kind of glad it wasn't Season 1 because those episodes are by far the best imo.

Still, it's a shame about Eggbaby and Eyewitness. Those are real good ones.

Batboy84

Honestly I'd be more surprised if any of them were from the first 26 episodes since there should be no reason for those to not get remastered given how old B:TAS is and that managed to get all 109 episodes remastered, so far as I'm aware (I can never tell the difference between remastered and up-rezzed without like a side-by-side comparison at all times lol). But with these 11, yeah it makes sense. They were made at the start of WB's shift to digital animation and obviously it wasn't made with HD in mind. Depending on how they were stored, yeah, I can see it happen.

-batmat-

I just bought the Return of the Joker Blu-ray a few months ago, but it was full-screen instead of widescreen, so maybe this release of the movie will be in widescreen.

I also hope that there will be a regular release of the Blu-ray like with Batman: TAS because the Blu-ray of Batman Beyond shouldn't be limited in numbers.

The movie was animated in full screen, so the blu ray, rightfully so, included the complete animated image. If you want it in widescreen, just zoom in. I don't understand how this is such a big issue for so many people.

When the press release from the WF's says that "In addition to a newly-remastered Blu-ray presentation of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, " Im assuming that the movie has not been remastered again, I'm sure.

I'm glad they improved the Funko POP situation. Personally, I didn't need one, but at least it's a regular-sized POP unlike the small ones from the BTAS collection that kept falling down.

If you ask me, improving the Funko Pop situation would mean getting rid of them. I'm hoping there will be a UK version without it and the lenticular cards (I would love to have them if they were just regular artwork) like there was for BTAS. Otherwise, I think for this one I would probably get the standard version, which I'm sure it will come eventually.

I was also planning to finally get me a copy of ROTJ on blu ray in september, since my 2 sisters will travel to the US and I was gonna ask them to get it for me (among other things), but now I'm not sure since I will get this set eventually aswell...

Dallas Kinard

Yea, it's interesting that all of those episodes were produced in HD too. I'm so glad that "The Call" and "Out Of The Past" have been fully remastered! If anyone wonders what "uprezzed" looks like, there are some episodes on the JLU Blu Ray release that feature some scenes that were uprezzed for whatever reason. You can read about it here.

Spider-Man

Even though we all knew this news was coming it's still great to see it confirmed! I am definitely getting this! I am interested to see what the new transfer will look like on the older episodes that were done traditionally compared to the computer colored ones. I bet those episodes are going to just pop off the screen. The price seems a little high but that isn't going to stop me from picking this up. Lets hope Superman is next!

iammattie

Plopped together a playlist of SDCC Beyond coverage including the full panel if anyone wanted to see any of it:

Edit: Looks like the forum auto formats the link to just do the first video? Full link on my twitter:

Dallas Kinard

Plopped together a playlist of SDCC Beyond coverage including the full panel if anyone wanted to see any of it:

Edit: Looks like the forum auto formats the link to just do the first video? Full link on my twitter:
This is cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm delighted it has finally been announced. This will look great next to the B:TAS Blu-Ray set.

I am disappointed in the 11 ''up-rezzed'' episodes. Aren't WB known for their excellent preservation practices? At least they were honest and up front about it.

Fingers crossed Superman: The Animated Series is next. We need that ''World's Finest'' three parter in HD.

Jiggle-Bot

Yea, it's interesting that all of those episodes were produced in HD too. I'm so glad that "The Call" and "Out Of The Past" have been fully remastered! If anyone wonders what "uprezzed" looks like, there are some episodes on the JLU Blu Ray release that feature some scenes that were uprezzed for whatever reason. You can read about it here.
There's a few scenes in Fearful Symmetry and almost all of Grudge Match appears 'uprezzed'. To be honest, it's pretty average and looks like it's been magnified with very basic upscaling. Hopefully they use a better process for Batman Beyond.

From an archiving point of view it's a shame it looks like the best quality for certain episodes been 'lost to time'.

-batmat-

I wonder if they are going to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio for Batman Beyond's intro. It would be nice to see it expanded, instead of sorrounded by black bars everywhere like when it happens when you watch the DVDs on a 16:9 TV.

Last edited:

Cartoonfan13

Alright, quick question Is WB's Actual Test to see if Teen Titans Season 6 is worth doing?
And is TTG vs TT a test to see if a Cotinuation (DTV Movie) is worth doing?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts