Should Nickelodeon stop shipping current cartoon series to Nicktoons?

The Overlord

Should Nickelodeon stop shipping current cartoon series to Nicktoons? It seems like Nickelodeon has a habit of sending shows to Nicktoons that do not get Spongebob level ratings right off the bat, where they are quickly forgotten about and canceled. It seems Disney Channel will bring over shows from Disney XD that become popular to the main Disney Channel, so Disney doesn't treat Disney XD like some animation graveyard like Nickelodeon does with Nicktoons. Nicktoons seems like a fine place for reruns of old shows, but it seems like the kiss of death for a new show. Recent shows like Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne and Rise of the TMNT are the latest shows to suffer this fate, but there are many others:

I suppose at one time you argue that there is only so much room on Nickelodeon's schedule (though there are a lot of Spongebob reruns on that schedule), but now there a bunch of streaming options that would be better than Nicktoons at this point. How many people have Nicktoons vs. a Netflix account and frankly CBS All Access could use some more original non Star Trek content. Maybe Welcome to the Wayne or Harvey Beaks would have done well on a streaming platform if they did not get Spongebob level ratings right away on the main network, but sending them to Nicktoons to be forgotten about was a waste. It also burns bridges with creators, I am not sure C. H. Greenblatt would ever want to work with Nickelodeon again.

Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir was on Nickelodeon, only get treated poorly by them and seems to be doing better on Netflix. DreamWorks was making cartoons for Nickelodeon for a while, but Nick started to treat those shows badly and DreamWorks switched working with Netflix instead. She-Ra and Voltron would have been treated horribly by Nickelodeon. I think the Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim movies would not have worked on the main Nickelodeon channel but worked well on Netflix.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir was on Nickelodeon, only get treated poorly by them and seems to be doing better on Netflix. DreamWorks was making cartoons for Nickelodeon for a while, but Nick started to treat those shows badly and DreamWorks switched working with Netflix instead. She-Ra and Voltron would have been treated horribly by Nickelodeon. I think the Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim movies would not have worked on the main Nickelodeon channel but worked well on Netflix.

I haven't started watching She-Ra yet and I only saw the first three or four seasons of Voltron, but I'd be amazed if they were able to air on Nickelodeon at all. Neither series really fits with Nickelodeon, especially when Voltron was designed to be binged watched with each season. I also wonder if the Voltron fandom would have become so infamous if it was stuck on Nicktoons instead of Netflix.

As for the question at hand, they absolutely should stop shipping shows off to Nicktoons. The channel is nothing but an excuse to air shows that they're no longer interested in airing on the main channel and/or third party content. Unless they change how they treat the Nicktoons channel, which seems pretty unlikely at this point, then putting a series on that channel is practically a death sentence. They need to just improve their schedules so that more new series can get a chance to shine and develop an audience.

ToonsJazzLover

Yeah, a lot of people don’t trust Nickelodeon anymore to treat new cartoons right, so they always expect this to happen if they’re not successful enough (and it happens anyway). It’s Pony needs to break that curse the same way The Loud House did. Imagine if the Nicktoon Renaissance would’ve been fully started 5 years ago with Harvey Beaks...this time, we’ll have to be more supportive especially in an age where cable is falling to irrelevance thanks to streaming wars. I just hope Nick doesn’t mess around the schedule that much like they did with their shows.

The only thing to avoid getting shafted to Nicktoons is to make sure it gets plenty of reruns on the main channel (and don’t air it on Nicktoons unless it’s for the network premiere. Casagrandes is almost absent in that channel). Record the new episodes if possible especially if you don’t time to see it due to work or if you’re not a morning person, etc. Discuss your pros and cons openly online so it can get some attention.

And frankly I find it sad that 3 of their original Nicktoons the last few years were burned off to Nicktoons channel while season one wasn’t even finished (Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Bunsen and Welcome to the Wayne). While the first two took about 20 episodes to do so, Wayne only took 9 episodes to get burned off making it the shortest it has ever lasted on the main channel out of any Nicktoons (and it only aired on main Nick from July-September 2017). Eventhe spin-off show Rise of the TMNT got this treatment just when they’re about to finish season one. We need to make sure Pony and the upcoming cartoons last all the way to the very end of the season and hopefully a renewal will come. The 2020s needs to be their true comeback

kanc

And frankly I find it sad that 3 of their original Nicktoons the last few years were burned off to Nicktoons channel while season one wasn’t even finished (Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Bunsen and Welcome to the Wayne). While the first two took about 20 episodes to do so, Wayne only took 9 episodes to get burned off making it the shortest it has ever lasted on the main channel out of any Nicktoons (and it only aired on main Nick from July-September 2017). Eventhe spin-off show Rise of the TMNT got this treatment just when they’re about to finish season one. We need to make sure Pony and the upcoming cartoons last all the way to the very end of the season and hopefully a renewal will come. The 2020s needs to be their true comeback
Only Bunsen is a Beast first 16 episodes aired on main Nick, and remaining 10 episodes aired on Nicktoons. You're right about Pig Goat Banana Cricket and Welcome to the Wayne

ToonJay723

Staff member
Yes they should stop moving them to Nicktoons. They should also stop delaying shows, which ends up causing the show to get cancelled or have their entire crew move on to other shows, because since the show didn't premiere, Nick doesn't know if it's successful enough. They did this with Pinky Malinky (suppose to premiere Autumn 2016), Glitch Techs (suppose to premiere last year), and 19 years ago with ChalkZone (suppose to premiere Autumn 2000). At least the latter survived to get a few more seasons.

DreamWorks was making cartoons for Nickelodeon for a while, but Nick started to treat those shows badly and DreamWorks switched working with Netflix instead.
The Penguins of Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, and Monsters vs. Aliens weren't made by DreamWorks. Nickelodeon licensed the characters from DreamWorks and made the shows themselves.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I guess so, especially considering the incompatibilities between Nick's mindset in the USA with many international feeds.

Asa

YES!

I'm hoping the upcoming Pony cartoon, Casagrandes, and future animated originals keep airing new episodes on main Nickelodeon for at least two/three seasons (shows like Fanboy and Chum Chum and Sanjay and Craig managed to do this).

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't get Nick's treatment of Rise of the TMNT. I mean, whatever else, there IS a toyline to support. You might want to make sure the show gets as many eyeballs as possible, even if you were planning to cancel it after two seasons, just to sell crap.

Then again, I've never understood the terrible, break-of-dawn timeslots for CN's recent Transformers cartoons either.

The Overlord

Yes they should stop moving them to Nicktoons. They should also stop delaying shows, which ends up causing the show to get cancelled or have their entire crew move on to other shows, because since the show didn't premiere, Nick doesn't know if it's successful enough. They did this with Pinky Malinky (suppose to premiere Autumn 2016), Glitch Techs (suppose to premiere last year), and 19 years ago with ChalkZone (suppose to premiere Autumn 2000). At least the latter survived to get a few more seasons.

The Penguins of Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, and Monsters vs. Aliens weren't made by DreamWorks. Nickelodeon licensed the characters from DreamWorks and made the shows themselves.

Well be that as it may, DreamWorks was not happy about how Nickelodeon was treating its shows and did business with Netflix instead. Nickelodeon also passed on Adventure Time, which is a good thing, because I think they would have shipped it to Nicktoons if it did not get Spongebob level ratings right away.

I don't get Nick's treatment of Rise of the TMNT. I mean, whatever else, there IS a toyline to support. You might want to make sure the show gets as many eyeballs as possible, even if you were planning to cancel it after two seasons, just to sell crap.

Then again, I've never understood the terrible, break-of-dawn timeslots for CN's recent Transformers cartoons either.

I think Viacom and Nickelodeon are pretty badly managed. I think they screwed over more cartoon series than Disney or Cartoon Network has, neither of those networks is perfect but I think they are better then Nickelodeon is in terms of letting new series have a fighting chance. Not just TMNT, I think if Nick gave shows like Welcome to the Wayne and Harvey Beaks a real chance, they could have been great shows and maybe even the start of a real resistance of animation, instead they rely on 3 animated shows (one is 2 decades old) and rerun them all the time.

Nickelodeon passed on Adventure Time, which is a good thing because that would have been shipped off to Nicktoons if it did not get Spongebob level ratings right away. I hope they do not mistreat the Star Trek cartoon series.

Last edited:

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
With their recent acquisitions of familiar franchises (e.g. Garfield), I'd say this issue will become even more pressing. Nick could eventually realize that SpongeBob need not be their only bread and butter, and thus relax the standard- assuming their "new collection of familiar faces" gambit pays off, that is.

The Overlord

With their recent acquisitions of familiar franchises (e.g. Garfield), I'd say this issue will become even more pressing. Nick could eventually realize that SpongeBob need not be their only bread and butter, and thus relax the standard- assuming their "new collection of familiar faces" gambit pays off, that is.

It does seem like a foolish waste of IP at this point, shows like Rise of the TMNT, Harvey Beaks and Welcome to the Wayne could have been useful in the streaming wars. Sending them off to Nicktoons to be forgotten seems really foolish, Nickelodeon should do more to develop quality animation, so it either be sold to Netflix for a profit or put on CBS All Access to bolster their content. Viacom/CBS is the weakest of the major entertainment companies, they do not have the luxury of throwing content away, WB and Disney seem far less wasteful with their animated content.

PM13

Yes, Nickelodeon was special to a lot to us over the years, but now you have to like SpongeBob and The Loud House to be a fan of this channel(this also includes spinoffs like The Casagrandes, Kamp Koral, etc.). They don't care for the viewers who want to watch something original and different like It's Pony and Middlemost Post, cuz eventually they'll get tired of watching the two big franchises. Even tho I'm a fan of SpongeBob and the Louds, I still don't want them to overshadow their other shows. If a Nicktoon becomes popular, it becomes a cash cow and is overhated, if not, it goes to Nicktoons, there just can't be something in between. I say the only thing to do is to shut down Nicktoons Network.

Yes, it benefits no one at all
The show is essentially living on borrowed time, leaving the staff without any jobs

The fans will be devastated their favorite show moved to a channel they may or may not have

the network loses money and ratings

I don’t know why they still do this

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts