"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldorado

Okay, I'm just getting this out there but...who wants to bet that Tawny Young (the talk show host) is basically a "Return of Black Adam"-esque version of Tawky Tawny (a magical talking shape-shifting tiger awaiting the one who will inherit the Wizard's powers), and she is a media personality so she might be able to find that one, and when they introduce SHAZAM she'll play a major role and reveal her true tiger form?

Frontier

Staff member
Okay, I'm just getting this out there but...who wants to bet that Tawny Young (the talk show host) is basically a "Return of Black Adam"-esque version of Tawky Tawny (a magical talking shape-shifting tiger awaiting the one who will inherit the Wizard's powers), and she is a media personality so she might be able to find that one, and when they introduce SHAZAM she'll play a major role and reveal her true tiger form?
Apparently she is a completely separate character in the comics (she covered John Stewart's wedding to Katma Tui).

Eldorado

Apparently she is a completely separate character in the comics (she covered John Stewart's wedding to Katma Tui).

Yeah, I realized it after I made the post....but then I also realized, THIS IS HARLEY QUINN!!! ANYTHING can happen!!! They probably want us to think it's one character but it's in fact ANOTHER character with the same name!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I realized it after I made the post....but then I also realized, THIS IS HARLEY QUINN!!! ANYTHING can happen!!! They probably want us to think it's one character but it's in fact ANOTHER character with the same name!
No, Schumacker has admitted that they love looking for very obscure characters like her or Praxis and using them on the show.

Eldorado

No, Schumacker has admitted that they love looking for very obscure characters like her or Praxis and using them on the show.

But, it could still be the same thing. Like they WANT to bring our defenses down into thinking it's the obscure Tawny Young when they pull off a HUGE twist, and that it's in fact the SEMI-obscure Tawky Tawny! Again, they share the same names so they could take advantage of that whole thing.

Otaku-sempai

But, it could still be the same thing. Like they WANT to bring our defenses down into thinking it's the obscure Tawny Young when they pull off a HUGE twist, and that it's in fact the SEMI-obscure Tawky Tawny! Again, they share the same names so they could take advantage of that whole thing.
Doubt it, unless Mary Marvel is introduced as a regular or semi-regular character.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
In the analysis of Season 1 Ep. 8-10, Schumacker revealed a couple things including,
-Their original take on Aquaman was a macho surfer type not unlike Momoa, some recording was done, they got a note back asking if he was too asinine. So they looked back and decided to go with the regal Fraiser approach.
-The LOD headquarters was based on high end ad firms, Schumacker even worked in some, and his parents are in the marketing industry
-Justin Halpern did the screeches for Sy's sister but was later replaced by LaMarr. Halpern also does Man Bat's screeches
-Aquaman's dolphin Juba is named after a stuffed animal owned by Schumacker's daughter
-The still shots of the various acts of terror in the LOD initiation video were supposed to be inspired by classic comic book covers
-In an upcoming season 2 episode, they considered doing a recap in the style of William Dozier on Batman'66 but decided it should be Frank the Plant doing the monologue.

Otaku-sempai

Why Mary Marvel? Why not the other members of the SHAZAM family?
Them too, but Harley Quinn is very much a female-led show. By the way, just what are the other members of the Marvel Family being called these days in their costumed identities? Is Mary now Mary Shazam? Shazam-Girl? What about CMJ?

ShadowStar

Them too, but Harley Quinn is very much a female-led show. By the way, just what are the other members of the Marvel Family being called these days in their costumed identities? Is Mary now Mary Shazam? Shazam-Girl? What about CMJ?

I heard that she's now Lady Shazam, but what I heard was quite possibly just fan speculation and not fact.

Frontier

Staff member
In the analysis of Season 1 Ep. 8-10, Schumacker revealed a couple things including,
-Their original take on Aquaman was a macho surfer type not unlike Momoa, some recording was done, they got a note back asking if he was too asinine. So they looked back and decided to go with the regal Fraiser approach.
-The LOD headquarters was based on high end ad firms, Schumacker even worked in some, and his parents are in the marketing industry
-Justin Halpern did the screeches for Sy's sister but was later replaced by LaMarr. Halpern also does Man Bat's screeches
-Aquaman's dolphin Juba is named after a stuffed animal owned by Schumacker's daughter
-The still shots of the various acts of terror in the LOD initiation video were supposed to be inspired by classic comic book covers
-In an upcoming season 2 episode, they considered doing a recap in the style of William Dozier on Batman'66 but decided it should be Frank the Plant doing the monologue.
Yeah, I don't need to see animated Aquaman instantly shift into acting like Momoa for movie synergy :p.

I love Frank, but I would have loved a Batman '66 type recap :).
I heard that she's now Lady Shazam, but what I heard was quite possibly just fan speculation and not fact.
Yeah, I don't think they have really worked out what the Marvel Family codenames are now :confused:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Yeah, I don't need to see animated Aquaman instantly shift into acting like Momoa for movie synergy :p.
Yeah, maybe if it was more like Nachos Batman on The Brave and The Bold or the Dude on Big Lebowski, perhaps, but I liked how underwater regal Fraiser played off the cast and LOD.

I love Frank, but I would have loved a Batman '66 type recap :).
It could have worked for "Batman's Back, Man" or another Batman-centric episode if there is one.

Troy Troodon

It's looking like Mary is now Lady Shazam, while Freddy is now Shazam Jr. It's just not the same. *sigh*

I think it's pretty clear at this point this show is suppose to be a parody of DC lore. So the creative team taking all these creative liberties actually kind'a makes sense from a meta perspective.

Frontier

Staff member

Here's some stills from the next episode.
Did they steal the Invisible Jet :ack:?

I recognize Nora Fries but who's the other lady? And why would Nora even go with the women who inadvertantly got her husband killed and whom she barely knows :confused:?

Those are some tough and regal looking Amazons. I'm guessing the prominent one is Hippolyta :).

That lady with the tattered black look seems to be Strife from the Brian Azzarello/Cliff Chiang WW run:

6d74a4750e9b5ce1089331e56ab764b0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts