"DC Super Hero Girls" Season Two Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss the season!

• ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out the second season of the DC Super Hero Girls TV Series! Premieres today on Cartoon Network, with a half-hour episode starting at 8 a.m. ET/PT.!

dcsuperherogirlsTVartmay212018.jpg
Synopsis: DC Super Hero Girls is an all-new animated action-comedy series from Warner Bros. Animation and based on characters from DC.

The world may know them as Wonder Woman, Supergirl and Batgirl, but not-so-typical teenagers Diana, Kara and Barbara, alongside their Super Hero friends have much more to deal with than just protecting the citizens of Metropolis from some of the most sinister school-aged Super-Villains of the DC Universe. After all, being teens is tough enough, what with school, friends, family and the chaos that comes with managing a social life. But add super powers and a secret identity to the mix, and things can get a lot more complicated.

DC Super Hero Girls stars the voices of Tara Strong (Teen Titans Go!) as Batgirl, Grey Griffin (Unikitty!) as Wonder Woman, Kari Wahlgren (Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz) as Zatanna, Nicole Sullivan (MADtv) as Supergirl, Kimberly Brooks (Voltron) as Bumblebee and Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor) as Green Lantern Jessica Cruz.

Amanda Rynda is the new show-runner, starting with this season.

DC Super Hero Girls “#AmBatgirl”
Episode Debut
- June 6, 2021

Batgirl finally has the chance to live out her life's dream and be the sidekick to her hero and inspiration; the Batman.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

"DC Super Hero Girls" (Television Series) News & Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)
"DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power" Video Game Talkback
"DC Super Hero Girls: Season 1 - Original Television Soundtrack" Talkback (Spoilers)
"DC Super Hero Girls" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)
"DC Super Hero Girls: Super Shorts" Talkback (Spoilers)

SweetShop209

I did not expect this two parter to be written by Jase Ricci. He wrote for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 (albeit only season 1), was a writer for Penn Zero Part Time Hero, and story editor for Tangled The Series. I do like how this is episode is turning out so far.

Edit: Well, I call this episode a good way to start season 2.

Last edited:

atomicbattery

I thought that this was at times laugh-out-loud funny (the Batgirl replacement candidates), and truly sweet (a little lump in the throat at the moment between Batman and Batgirl at the end).
As a Dick Grayson fan I- like many others- initially found this take on Robin quite a bit jarring. But I’m beginning to find amusement in the show’s commitment to his character being an irredeemable little jerk. It’s the show (boys are generally weird, clueless, or annoying) and I have many other avenues- like the current run on the Nightwing book- to experience just how awesome a character Grayson is.
A wonderful episode for Barbara.
She finally realizes her dream, and deals with the unexpected consequences with selflessness, kindness and grace. Who expected a true character arc on a little show like DC Super Hero Girls?

Frontier

Staff member
I love the idea that all the Bat-Villains are starting to move to Metropolis because they're tired of fighting Batman. Joker might end up being the last holdout :rolleyes2:.

I'm glad Weird Al got to reprise Riddler again from the DC Nation shorts. He really gets the narcissistic and annoying intellectual tone of his character down to pat :evil:.

I like how Batman's mumble growls are so well-known in-universe that Batgirl outright imitates it :p.

"Bank of Moolah." That bank wants to be really upfront about their content ;).

This episode isn't likely to change anyone's opinion on the show's take on Robin, unless they expect you to like him for how pathetic and awful he is, even if he doesn't really do much else to endear sympathy for his attitude. I could definitely do with less Robin :rolleyes:.

Compared to the show's take on Superman, I thought the show did a reasonable job with Batman. I mean, he's pretty cold, standoffish, and impersonal but he's not entirely unsympathetic and is smart enough to realize how competent Babs is compared to Robin and what she did at the end. And rather than having the typical "disillusioned by your idol" story that I was worried about, the episode ends with Batman giving Babs his approval while she goes back to her own thing. I'm glad this ended well for the pair :).

I see Giganta can be felled in one punch if it's for the sake of a montage o_O.

Alfred is so done with this. I haven't seen him this antagonistic towards a Robin since he complained about Damian in Son of Batman :eek:.

I love that equality moment where Batman and Batgirl interrupt that illegal card game and when the lady is trying to sneak out Batman grapples her so Batgirl can sock her in the face. The Bats have always been equal-opportunity crime-fighters :proud:.

The team trying to find a good replacement for Batgirl was fun. Katana is kind of a tertiary Bat-character, so she made sense, but she's too serious :ack:.

Catwoman knowing the girls' base and stealing their stuff seems like a far bigger deal than the episode made it out to be. I guess they're just supposed to rely on her nobility and respect for them to not expect her to use it to her own advantage in a major way :oops:?

Zatanna got like 2-3 lines...I was kind of worried for a second there that they didn't get Kari Wahlgren back for the season premier :sweat:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Loved it. Great full circle with the series premiere being about Babs's moving to the new city and she also gets the season 2 premiere getting to be Batman's temporary sidekick and living her dream.

Hilarious that Katana quit after the first mission. Also chuckled at Bumblebee guessing Metropolis was going to the dumps, too.

Heh, Bat-Glue.

Kudos to the crew ending it with Batman understanding what Batgirl was doing and nodded in approval.

I'm glad Weird Al got to reprise Riddler again from the DC Nation shorts. He really gets the narcissistic and annoying intellectual tone of his character down to pat :evil:.
Nope, it was David Hornsby. That rumor I found earlier turned out to be fake.
Compared to the show's take on Superman, I thought the show did a reasonable job with Batman. I mean, he's pretty cold, standoffish, and impersonal but he's not entirely unsympathetic and is smart enough to realize how competent Babs is compared to Robin and what she did at the end. And rather than having the typical "disillusioned by your idol" story that I was worried about, the episode ends with Batman giving Babs his approval while she goes back to her own thing. I'm glad this ended well for the pair :).
Agreed, they simply went off the script when it comes to their take on Bruce Wayne or at least his public act.
Alfred is so done with this. I haven't seen him this antagonistic towards a Robin since he complained about Damian in Son of Batman :eek:.
He needed a victory after the Tween Titans.

Frontier

Staff member
Hilarious that Katana quit after the first mission. Also chuckled at Bumblebee guessing Metropolis was going to the dumps, too.
Every Supervillain moving there because Gotham is too crowded...and Batman :eek:.
Kudos to the crew ending it with Batman understanding what Batgirl was doing and nodded in approval.
If he's smart enough to realize how much better she is than Robin, he's smart enough to realize what she did for his ward :).
Nope, it was David Hornsby. That rumor I found earlier turned out to be fake.
Oh! He did an excellent job then ;).
Agreed, they simply went off the script when it comes to their take on Bruce Wayne or at least his public act.
I kept waiting for Bruce to show up and for them to showcase the transition in this continuity :p.
He needed a victory after the Tween Titans.
Never have I felt so bad for a version of Alfred :sweat:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Every Supervillain moving there because Gotham is too crowded...and Batman :eek:.
Despite all the heroes living in Metropolis, heh.
Never have I felt so bad for a version of Alfred :sweat:.
There was the subtle joke at the start of the scene, he's reading a Help Wanted section of the newspaper. lol.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
DC Super Hero Girls "Am Batgirl, Part 1"

We have a problem.

I wasn't originally going to make a huge thing out of it, but as the episode went on I realized I had to. I'm not looking forward to spending a half hour to 45 minutes writing a review for an 11 minute cartoon (especially because it's only Part 1 of 2). But we need to talk about it.

The problem is that I hate Robin. Here is how messed up my hatred for him is: I hate him and Joffrey from Game Of Thrones for the exact same reasons. This is how badly the show is failing that character.

To be honest, if that was this show's unique take on Robin I'd let it slide. But Teen Titans Go!'s Robin is almost as obnoxious (for different reasons) and is always portrayed as a total loser. And the live-action Dick Grayson from Titans is a bonafide sociopath and actually one of the most detestable live-action DC characters ever put to film. I remember how hard DC Comics worked over the years through Teen Titans comics, Batman: The Animated Series episodes, and later Young Justice to build back the credibility of Dick Grayson Burt Ward destroyed by making the character an utter punchline in Batman '66. What disturbs me is that all three versions of Dick mentioned here are worse than Burt Ward (and in Titans' case by far). If you ever want to argue with me that DC doesn't know what it is doing in its film and television projects, don't bother bringing up Zack Snyder. He is the low-hanging fruit. Bring up the fact that in the three most visible current DC TV projects, THIS is how DC is selling Dick Grayson to kids who have never read the comics. Part of Marvel's whole bit is making the projects interesting enough (complete with frustratingly confusing tags at the end of the movies) to make people want to sample the comic books themselves to figure out what's going on. I think these specific DC projects make it LESS likely for people watching them to pick up a Batman or Teen Titans comic because Robin is seen as so lame by everyone involved. I am not a person who believes entertainment should be seen as a form of commerce. I detest all filmmakers and actors who use the word "product" to describe their movies or TV shows. And yet, for comic book projects, synergy and the ability to interest people ignorant of the comics is essentially the reason DC and Marvel branched out into TV and film to begin with. I actually think at this point, many of DC's film and TV projects, particularly those using Dick Grayson, are probably telling people to stay away from reading the comics. That's dumb. That's shortsighted. And considering the fact that current fans are aging and aging, and few new younger readers are replacing them, potentially fatal to the industry. I don't much like superhero comics myself, but damn it, I'd hate it if the genre stopped simply because shows and portrayals like this became the norm and nobody takes the medium seriously anymore. I don't see that happening with Marvel, but DC? That's a huge risk.

DC spent decades living down Burt Ward and gradually and painstakingly building back up that character only to have three shows (and in Titans' case the worst superhero show of all time) completely destroy any credibility they've carefully tried to cultivate over the decades. People should be pissed about that. If it was just one of the shows doing it, I'd forgive it, but DC seems insistent on shoving the worst possible versions of that character imaginable down our throats.

While I'm here, let me point out that the Batgrowl is exactly as bad in reality for the reasons the episode kids around it is. It's not an actual joke. It's pathetic. Thanks for nothing Christian Bale, and for ruining every single Batman film on some level from Batman Begins forward. Granted, The Dark Knight was pretty great, but I probably would have liked it a lot more if Batman talked like a person instead of a cartoon duck during the dramatic scenes. Ugh. What is wrong with you, DC? *.

DC Super Hero Girls "Am Batgirl, Part 2""

Not as bad as the first part, mostly because Robin isn't in it as much. Also Bizarro Kara was fun and the fact that Kara seems to enjoy Bizarro Kara is endearing. **1/2.

Last edited:

Otaku-sempai

Oh don't make me laugh, nothing Burt Ward did destroyed anything.
Dick Grayson didn't suddenly become unpopular or hated because of him, the very idea is absurd and lacking any real basis in reality.
Very true. If you take a look at the Batman stories being published in the late 1950s and early '60s, the 1966 Batman series is barely even a parody. It's almost a straight translation of comics-to-screen. I'd argue that the comics were even more silly with Batman & Robin encountering time-travel, space aliens and Bat-Mite.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Oh don't make me laugh, nothing Burt Ward did destroyed anything.
Dick Grayson didn't suddenly become unpopular or hated because of him, the very idea is absurd and lacking any real basis in reality.
I don't agree. There was a whole era of pop-culture where Robin became a punchline and was considered the lamest superhero of them all. I'm not saying Ward was actually bad in role. It's just the "Holy" stuff made Robin an easy target for people to call superheroes dumb.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I don't think this show's jerk version of Robin is going to harm the character any more than their jerk version of Superman.
The jerk version of Superman is unusual. If this show was the only jerk version of Robin it would actually be okay. Three of the four biggest DC shows that currently use Dick Grayson (the exception being Young Justice) constantly tell people how much Robin and Dick Grayson suck. The jerk Robin on this show does not occur in a vacuum. It's the pattern that's damaging, not the individual interpretation.

Frontier

Staff member
The jerk version of Superman is unusual. If this show was the only jerk version of Robin it would actually be okay. Three of the four biggest DC shows that currently use Dick Grayson (the exception being Young Justice) constantly tell people how much Robin and Dick Grayson suck. The jerk Robin on this show does not occur in a vacuum. It's the pattern that's damaging, not the individual interpretation.
A lot of those shows emphasize comedy though, so I don't think kids take it (or the characterizations) as seriously as they would otherwise.

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
I don't agree. There was a whole era of pop-culture where Robin became a punchline and was considered the lamest superhero of them all. I'm not saying Ward was actually bad in role. It's just the "Holy" stuff made Robin an easy target for people to call superheroes dumb.
So basically the stuff that was happening in actual Batman comics

atomicbattery

Kids, in this era in which we are inundated with multiple versions of the same character, are certainly savvy enough to realize that these are comedy shows, and that these are not the versions that you would find in more serious superhero entertainment.
Mad Magazine was pervasive in the culture beginning in the ‘50’s, selling over a million copies a month for decades- far more than the highest selling comics. Starting with ‘Batboy & Rubin!’ in 1953, there were innumerable parodies and cartoons which depicted Robin as an obnoxious idiot. He survived just fine.
As far as Burt Ward’s Robin, in 1966 you weren’t going to get a deadly serious treatment of superhero comics on the small or big screen. This was the MadMen era, and any adult who still read superhero comics or took the characters seriously would have been thought to be a little odd.
The brilliant ‘dual address’ of the show allowed adults (who had read the comics, or seen the movie serials, as kids) to wallow in nostalgia and find a form to freely enjoy the outrageousness of the characters again as comedy, while millions of three-to-six year-olds- too young to be able to even read a comic- saw Robin as a relatable, thrilling hero. He continued as a favorite to kids in the spiritual sequels to Batman’66- Saturday morning cartoons (the only mass media to find these characters outside of comics then)- for over a decade.
Batman was in a revival period in 1965 (the ‘New Look’), but was still niche entertainment to the larger population. Batman’66 made the character into a cultural giant, setting him in the popular consciousness to enable everything that came after. I have found that those who mock the show are generally ignorant of its cultural context, or, incredibly, don’t even understand its intent. Not really worth getting worked up about. Because of that show, Robin became an icon to millions of kids and known around the world.
I think that Batman would have survived without Batman’66, but I’m not entirely sure (seeing what happened to comics in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s) that Robin would have.
Batman’66- and Burt Ward’s Robin- made him eternally indispensable. I think he’s deserving of a little love.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Kids, in this era in which we are inundated with multiple versions of the same character, are certainly savvy enough to realize that these are comedy shows, and that these are not the versions that you would find in more serious superhero entertainment.
Mad Magazine was pervasive in the culture beginning in the ‘50’s, selling over a million copies a month for decades- far more than the highest selling comics. Starting with ‘Batboy & Rubin!’ in 1953, there were innumerable parodies and cartoons which depicted Robin as an obnoxious idiot. He survived just fine.
As far as Burt Ward’s Robin, in 1966 you weren’t going to get a deadly serious treatment of superhero comics on the small or big screen. This was the MadMen era, and any adult who still read superhero comics or took the characters seriously would have been thought to be a little odd.
The brilliant ‘dual address’ of the show allowed adults (who had read the comics, or seen the movie serials, as kids) to wallow in nostalgia and find a form to freely enjoy the outrageousness of the characters again as comedy, while millions of three-to-six year-olds- too young to be able to even read a comic- saw Robin as a relatable, thrilling hero. He continued as a favorite to kids in the spiritual sequels to Batman’66- Saturday morning cartoons (the only mass media to find these characters outside of comics then)- for over a decade.
Batman was in a revival period in 1965 (the ‘New Look’), but was still niche entertainment to the larger population. Batman’66 made the character into a cultural giant, setting him in the popular consciousness to enable everything that came after. I have found that those who mock the show are generally ignorant of its cultural context, or, incredibly, don’t even understand its intent. Not really worth getting worked up about. Because of that show, Robin became an icon to millions of kids and known around the world.
I think that Batman would have survived without Batman’66, but I’m not entirely sure (seeing what happened to comics in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s) that Robin would have.
Batman’66- and Burt Ward’s Robin- made him eternally indispensable. I think he’s deserving of a little love.
Okay, these are all good points in the sense that Ward made it so Robin is still around. Good enough. Do you actually think you can rebut the idea that Robin has been considered a huge lame joke among the general public until very recently? This is not actually a weird concern on my end. Superfriends did the same thing to Aquaman. I'm honestly a little bit shocked that me saying that Batman '66's Robin made people not take that character seriously is controversial. The entire show, as great as it was, was actually a satire of the premise.
So basically the stuff that was happening in actual Batman comics
The difference there is that Robin was a little kid in the comics when doing the "Holy Moly!" stuff. That was actually part of the joke on the show. Ward was far too old to be talking like a ten year old. That's why the bit was funny to begin with. It also made the idea of Robin look utterly ridiculous. Which was the point of the show (it was a comedy). I'm honestly perplexed me saying what I did set off a controversy. I intended no offense.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts