Cartoon Network's New Family Movie Night Block or CN Flicks is coming back?

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Cartoon Network had a history of having movie blocks for many years.

In 1995 to 1998, during the Checkerboard Era, we had Mr Spim's Cartoon Theater.

In 1998 to 2007, during the Powerhouse and CN City/Yes Era, we had Cartoon Network's Cartoon Theater.

In 2007 to 2008, during the Summer and Fall Era, we had Movie Madness.

Finally, in 2008 to 2015, during the Fall, Noods, and Check It Era, we had Cartoon Network Flicks.

CN Flicks was the one I remember the most because of the Noods intro and it's catchy slogan: "Catch the flick, with The Flicks. Every Sunday night." I really like it because it does bring out variety to CN and it was unique for it's time. Sure, airing live-action movies was unnecessary, but for better or for worse, at least it was different and aired some decent movies, more so than Nick and Disney nowadays. Plus, Cartoon Theater aired live-action movies towards the end of it's life, so....

Finally, I really love the Noods Flicks intro and bumpers because it showcase that whole family can watch together, but in CN style. That's very creative compare to Kevin Wu and C and N guys doing random nonsense that have no impact to the viewers whatsoever.

It's such a shame that Flicks was gone in 2015 since I did enjoy it when I was little and the bumpers were cute(well, the Noods one anyway).

While CN do air movies every now and then over the years, but without the Flicks branding.

Fast forward to this year, Tom Aschiem, the 5th CEO of Cartoon Network, announced a new family movie night block on the weekends, as part of the Redraw Your World initiative. The upcoming block will aired movies such as Gremlins, Shazam, Back to the Future, and many more.

That type of concept remind me of Flicks due to airing live action movies again.

So it could a possibility that Flicks might make a comeback, or a new family movie block all together?

I don't know. We'll see what happens.

What do you guys think of this?

CNC

Such a good opportunity for CN to air their forgotten original movie Firebreather again. (and put it on HBO Max already)

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
Cartoon Network had a history of having movie blocks for many years.

In 1995 to 1998, during the Checkerboard Era, we had Mr Spim's Cartoon Theater.

In 1998 to 2007, during the Powerhouse and CN City/Yes Era, we had Cartoon Network's Cartoon Theater.

In 2007 to 2008, during the Summer and Fall Era, we had Movie Madness.

Finally, in 2008 to 2015, during the Fall, Noods, and Check It Era, we had Cartoon Network Flicks.

CN Flicks was the one I remember the most because of the Noods intro and it's catchy slogan: "Catch the flick, with The Flicks. Every Sunday night." I really like it because it does bring out variety to CN and it was unique for it's time. Sure, airing live-action movies was unnecessary, but for better or for worse, at least it was different and aired some decent movies, more so than Nick and Disney nowadays. Plus, Cartoon Theater aired live-action movies towards the end of it's life, so....

Finally, I really love the Noods Flicks intro and bumpers because it showcase that whole family can watch together, but in CN style. That's very creative compare to Kevin Wu and C and N guys doing random nonsense that have no impact to the viewers whatsoever.

It's such a shame that Flicks was gone in 2015 since I did enjoy it when I was little and the bumpers were cute(well, the Noods one anyway).

While CN do air movies every now and then over the years, but without the Flicks branding.

Fast forward to this year, Tom Aschiem, the 5th CEO of Cartoon Network, announced a new family movie night block on the weekends, as part of the Redraw Your World initiative. The upcoming block will aired movies such as Gremlins, Shazam, Back to the Future, and many more.

That type of concept remind me of Flicks due to airing live action movies again.

So it could a possibility that Flicks might make a comeback, or a new family movie block all together?

I don't know. We'll see what happens.

What do you guys think of this?
I think they tried the weekend movie night thing earlier this year but this might be the newest direction for Cartoon Network to shift its focus to families.

harry580

I think they tried the weekend movie night thing earlier this year but this might be the newest direction for Cartoon Network to shift its focus to families.
is it the weekend movie night from earlier this year the same block that aired rio 2 and detective pikachu? because I remember watching rio 2 on it and I saw a promo for detective pikachu on Cartoon Network

Sam the Cartoonist

is it the weekend movie night from earlier this year the same block that aired rio 2 and detective pikachu? because I remember watching rio 2 on it and I saw a promo for detective pikachu on Cartoon Network
And CN will be airing the Star Wars movies starting this Sunday.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
UPDATE! UPDATE!

Cartoon Network is going to have a new family night block called ACME Night. Acme Night is basically The Flicks, but more family oriented. Plus, it wasn't just airing movies, but airing new family shows and new original movies. Acme Night will be premiering every Sunday night starting September 19th at 6pm.

In my opinion, this is interesting. I never expected a block that was based on a Looney Tunes name. Pretty clever.

I really hope the block will be just as good as The Flicks because it does have potential to stand out its own.

EDIT: Here's the new logo of ACME Night
ACME-Night-Logo-1000x600.jpg

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I gotta say, I really like the promo for Acme Night.

It reminded me so much of The Flicks during its earlier days.

Though, one little nitpick I had with the Acme promo is that I wish the promo could say "Sunday night is Acme Night (on Cartoon Network)". That would've been perfect.

Other than that, great promo and I can't wait to see how it is when it launched. (hopefully there's a great and memorable intro and bumpers similar to Flicks).

tykroma94

I gotta say, I really like the promo for Acme Night.

It reminded me so much of The Flicks during its earlier days.

Though, one little nitpick I had with the Acme promo is that I wish the promo could say "Sunday night is Acme Night (on Cartoon Network)". That would've been perfect.

Other than that, great promo and I can't wait to see how it is when it launched. (hopefully there's a great and memorable intro and bumpers similar to Flicks).

Yeah that ACME Night promo was nice I’m not gonna lie. About that nitpick, I feel as though even if ACME Night gives off a Flicks vibe, I feel it should be it’s own thing but to each their own I guess. I hope the bumpers are good.

I noticed in the promo at the end when the narrator said Everyone’s Cartoon Network. Looks like Cartoon Network is really planning to have something for everyone. Hopefully we get an Action Block soon. If we did I wonder what it’ll be called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
About that nitpick, I feel as though even if ACME Night gives off a Flicks vibe, I feel it should be it’s own thing but to each their own I guess
emoji1666.png
Okay, fair enough.

I noticed in the promo at the end when the narrator said Everyone’s Cartoon Network. Looks like Cartoon Network is really planning to have something for everyone.
Yeah, I noticed that too. Honestly, I'm all for it. The '' on your Cartoon Network'' thing was silly and ridiculous to begin with.

Hopefully we get an Action Block soon. If we did I wonder what it’ll be called.
I don't know. I never grew up with action blocks on Cartoon Network, so I can't really say how I feel about it.

All I can say is, we'll just have to wait and see.

ATSFGuy

Okay, fair enough.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Honestly, I'm all for it. The '' on your Cartoon Network'' thing was silly and ridiculous to begin with.

I don't know. I never grew up with action blocks on Cartoon Network, so I can't really say how I feel about it.

All I can say is, we'll just have to wait and see.
Anyone have an update yet on this new block?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts