"Toonami" News & Discussion Thread

RunoMisaki573

I guess Attack on Titan and Dragonball Super take the torch of reran to death Toonami shows. I guess looping Super will happen.

Yeah, but I think with Bebop gone and with FLCL/GITS:SAC reran to death throughout the history of adult swim, it's about time thet rerun Outlaw Star. I'm afraid this space opera doesn't get that much attention nowadays.

Still I'm waiting for Toonami to air GT uncut, as it hasn't happened yet since Kai and Super ended their adult swim Toonami runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, but I think with Bebop gone and with FLCL/GITS:SAC reran to death throughout the history of adult swim, it's about time thet rerun Outlaw Star. I'm afraid this space opera doesn't get that much attention nowadays.

They did rerun Outlaw Star once, but I think it cost them lots of money (classics are supposed to cost as much as current stuff). As cool as it would be to see stuff like Outlaw Star, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, or stuff like that, it's far more likely they'll do a cheaprun rerun. Who knows, we even have to endure Promised Neverland season 2 again as they still have the rights to it.

Light Lucario

Staff member

Still I'm waiting for Toonami to air GT uncut, as it hasn't happened yet since Kai and Super ended their adult swim Toonami runs.

I don't know if they'd want to get GT. Even with it being uncut, I'm not sure if it would really attract a lot of viewers, especially with it being more infamous among Dragon Ball fans. Super has already gotten plenty of airtime, but it is still fairly recent, more so than GT, and from what I can tell, seems to be at least better received among fans than GT.

Getting another run for Outlaw Star sounds more possible by comparison. While I don't think it quite lived up to the hype, it was still a pretty good show and giving it more attention with a rerun slot would be pretty neat.

They did rerun Outlaw Star once, but I think it cost them lots of money (classics are supposed to cost as much as current stuff). As cool as it would be to see stuff like Outlaw Star, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, or stuff like that, it's far more likely they'll do a cheaprun rerun. Who knows, we even have to endure Promised Neverland season 2 again as they still have the rights to it.
Giving The Promised Neverland season two a rerun slot would almost be hilarious. I could understand it if they still have the rights to it and they wanted to save a bit of money with a rerun slot, but given how infamous the season is, it would be such a weird choice to make. I would still love it if they aired Trigun. It seems pretty unlikely all things considered, but it would be so cool if they could give more attention to that series.

RunoMisaki573

I don't think so. Of all the Toonami programs that ended their runs in 2019, Megalo Box has yet to be rerun. I recall Pluto TV's Anime All Day network rerunning Megalo Box last year, and I don't know if they still rerun this series to this day. Any program they acquire doesn't affect adult swim if I recall correctly. Like, both Anime All Day and adult swim played HUNTERxHUNTER when the latter network had the rights to air the English version.

Not to mention SSSS.Gridman never got rerun in any form. I could picture Toonami rerunning SSSS.Gridman post 9/11, but I don't know if the episodes will be censored or skipped to avoid 9/11 references hence the 9/11 attacks reaches its 10th anniversary this month.

Last edited:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I'm rather surprised by that decision. I know that Cowboy Bebop has aired so much throughout the years, but it didn't seem like they'd ever let the rights expire. I wonder if Netflix wanted to get a hold of it to tie in with their upcoming live action adaptation.

I don't get Netflix but I think the show was already on their service.

Wow, end of an era. I was always surprised that the show lasted as long as it did since AS doesn't usually hold on to anime for that long, but their love for the show clearly allowed them to continue renewing the rights. Good thing I recently re-watched the show on AS On Demand since I'm sure it'll be leaving there soon.

GolfDude

whats interesting with the new scheudling shuffle channel wide, is that they are giving the 5 am slot every night to naruto.. itll be interesting so see where the everyday run starts, and nd how it affects the saturday night airing, or if they let the sat night one go for something else

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
whats interesting with the new scheudling shuffle channel wide, is that they are giving the 5 am slot every night to naruto.. itll be interesting so see where the everyday run starts, and nd how it affects the saturday night airing, or if they let the sat night one go for something else
It's actually been there since the first week of May (along with Samurai Jack after). Originally both had a 5-day line but since reduced to 4.

They started with "A Message from the Heart", the series' 275th episode.

As of this week they went back again as the weekday rotation pretty much caught up to the Toonami broadcast. #320 "Run, Omoi!" aired this morning.

This all to me suggests both Shippuden and Jack have held their own well to maintain it as otherwise we probably see another change. What also says that is they're keeping Shippuden there after catching up instead of putting in another anime in general. Not sure how long they'll keep that up and how they'll cycle

RunoMisaki573

Two months ago, FUNimation acquired the streaming rights to Knights of Sidonia from Netflix, freeing the series from Netflix jail. Also, a movie will be played in American theaters later this month. If new programs get added to Toonami by November 2021, you think it would be possible for Toonami to air Knights of Sidonia then? Normally Toonami refuses ro air Netflix originals, but this one is an exception since it's no longer on Netflix as of September 2021.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Two months ago, FUNimation acquired the streaming rights to Knights of Sidonia from Netflix, freeing the series from Netflix jail. Also, a movie will be played in American theaters later this month. If new programs get added to Toonami by November 2021, you think it would be possible for Toonami to air Knights of Sidonia then? Normally Toonami refuses ro air Netflix originals, but this one is an exception since it's no longer on Netflix as of September 2021.

I was under the impression that Knights of Sidonia was let go because of lack of popularity. I remember most of the reaction to the show being "eww all CGI." Considering that Toonami puts mecha shows in the deathslot, this seems unlikely to air, especially given its age. SSSS.Dynezenon is still the more likely mecha to air, although it will probably also be in the deathslot. My predictions for the replacement shows are still Megalobox Nomad, Assassination Classroom season 2, and SSSS.Dynezenon.

RunoMisaki573

You may not believe it, but last month Sony acquired crunchyroll from WarnerMedia, so this must mean another FUNimation/crunchyroll partnership will happen. Hopefully this increases chances of getting Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 on US Toonami (and hopefully uncut). Assuming DC Fandome movie marathons don't happen on October, I can predict Blade Runner Black Lotus, Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 and Assassination Classroom Season 2 joining this Halloween, and one other new program when Food Wars leaves the lineup by November. I guess Megalo Box Nomad (if reruns of Season 1 don't replace Dragon Ball Super).

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
). Assuming DC Fandome movie marathons don't happen on October, I can predict Blade Runner Black Lotus, Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 and Assassination Classroom Season 2 joining this Halloween, and one other new program when Food Wars leaves the lineup by November. I guess Megalo Box Nomad (if reruns of Season 1 don't replace Dragon Ball Super).

I would be shocked if the Crunchyroll/Funimation merger is complete by October. Sometime in 2022 seems most likely for Mob Psycho 100. Blade Runner Black Lotus is probably replacing Fena and I've got Assassination Classroom, SSS.Dynezenon and Megalobox Nomad penciled in for replacing MHA, Black Clover, and Food Wars. Which show replaces which I can't guess.

I just found out that Demon Slayer season 2 will be two cours instead of the originally believed one cour, so I guess that if they wait until the season is finished to dub it, it will take a little longer than expected to air on Toonami. Attack on Titan might be available to air by the time Blade Runner is done, so they won't have to stall between big headlining shows.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Super is indeed looping. Whereas Bebop was Adult Swim Action's favorite rerun, Dragonball Z and/or Super was both classic and Nu Toonami's favorite rerun. Okay, Attack on Titan is a close second for Nu Toonami, but Dragonball Z Kai and Super are still the kings of reruns for the block. Reruns will start at episode 27, presumably because the 2 years worth of rights just elapsed for episodes 1-26.

veemonjosh

Stone free, do what I please
Sunrise has announced a new Gundam TV series, coming next year:

I know Unicorn and The Origin kind of flopped on Toonami, but I recall Iron-Blooded Orphans did well enough, so maybe?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I know Unicorn and The Origin kind of flopped on Toonami, but I recall Iron-Blooded Orphans did well enough, so maybe?

I think it depends on whether its Universal Century or alternate universe. So far, the alternate universe Gundams seem to do pretty well on cable, except for Seed. SSSS.Gridman flopping does make me wonder how far the mecha genre has fallen. Sure, people buzzed about SSSS.Dynazenon and 86, but that seemed like a very vocal minority. First, we need to know if Toonami is willing to air SSSS.Dynazenon. I know Toonami has been known for its mecha ever since the Voltron and Robotech days, but I wonder if they can still be that way considering the American fanbase's current lack of interest in mecha. If SSSS.Dynazenon airs, Toonami will probably go after this, if they instead air some isekai title, mecha probably won't appear on Toonami again. So far, Toonami has seemed to be trying to appeal to that old school audience who still watches mecha, but but the fact they have to deathslot the mecha makes me wonder if switching to isekai will be more profitable. Toonami has avoided isekai like the plague, but with how popular its getting, can they continue to do that? I know that isekai is probably the inverse of mecha in that the older generation doesn't like while the younger one does and Demarco said he's not really into it. Considering how Toonami is losing its bread and butter in battle shonen, though, won't that force them to air isekai as that's the second biggest type of action anime? I still don't know how much longer they can go dodging the isekai bullet.

RunoMisaki573

I guess I'll have to wait until Halloween for new show replacements. Black Clover ends an episode earlier than Fena and My Hero Academia anyways. October and November will be full of surprises.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Sunrise has announced a new Gundam TV series, coming next year:

I heard there's also a movie about Cucuruz Doan and Iron-Blooded Orphans spin-off series in the works, too. Good things in threes I guess. But the Witch title is rather evocative. Wonder what it could possibly be about, maybe the nickname of a female pilot.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
I guess I'll have to wait until Halloween for new show replacements. Black Clover ends an episode earlier than Fena and My Hero Academia anyways. October and November will be full of surprises.

Assassination Classroom and Megalobox Nomad feel inevitable as they nearly always get sequel seasons SSSS.Dynezenon is the only sequel season I'm iffy on Toonami getting as SSSS.Gridman was the least viewed Toonami premiere ever. I personally would love to see it and it seems the few viewers that gave SSSS.Gridman a chance really liked it. I do wonder if Fena's success will affect their pickups. It's proved that non battle shonen can succeed on the block and Toonami doesn't have to limit itself to just battle shonen. I know that My Hero Academia, Black Clover, and Food Wars are leaving in November, so those inevitable shows I predict will replace two of those ending shows. The third show is kinda ambigious as if they don't go for SSSS.Dynazenon, then I wonder what they would do instead with practically no battle shonen to pick from. This would probably mean going with isekai or something outside their comfort show or getting the sequel to that one show that bombed in the ratings. I think SSSS.Dynazenon has a chance, but I'm not completely sure.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts