TV Series that you want updated

the greenman

So we have had a bunch of reboots and revivals of older IP. Some of them mostly done out of nostalgic value to various results. Some just networks giving them a shot for testing purposes; like limited series.

Some original series like:

Roseanne (1988-1997)
Full House (1987-1995)
Punky Brewster (1984-1988)
Saved by the Bell (1989-1993)
Beverly Hills 90210 (1990-2000)
Melrose Place (1992-1999)
One Day at a Time (1975-1984)
MacGyver (1985-1992)
Mad About You (19992-1999)

We have some in the works like Night Court & Frasier. I want some that might be kinda unsuccessful but could possibly work.

My Secret Identity:
The original, I believe, was a Canadian filmed series which in the US aired on syndication. The premise was very cheesy and pushing into the unbelievable at times. Though for a family show it was enjoyable to waste your time. Jerry O'Connell and Derek McGrath could reprise their roles with a younger teen (possibly a girl this time), who has powers with differing results.

Silver Spoons:
It was definitely an '80's series. I'm not sure if it was kinda like the television version of the Richard Pryor movie The Toy. Maybe even a Live-Action Richie Rich series. Though as nauseating as it would be in these days, be interesting to revisit this to see if the kid learned some lessons of his own with his own kid or kids. Childhood friend Ribiero could reprise his role as well, though he did in Fresh Prince. Also, be interesting to see Jason Bateman return maybe in a cameo.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'd love to see another attempt at Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Loved the original series and movies.

the greenman

I'd love to see another attempt at Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Loved the original series and movies.
I'd be down for another update. However, the best update in a way was the X-Files. I never actually sat down and watched the re-tooled one several years ago. Ironically, I didn't really like the idea of an assistant.

X-Files was inspired by Kolchak, but not directly. Then to actually do one and be inspired by X-Files felt wrong. The point of Kolchak was he was on solo missions that made him look like a crack-pot, but something always happened to the evidence. The difference with X-files was there were determined entities (human or not) to make sure the truth doesn't get out.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'd be down for another update. However, the best update in a way was the X-Files. I never actually sat down and watched the re-tooled one several years ago. Ironically, I didn't really like the idea of an assistant.

X-Files was inspired by Kolchak, but not directly. Then to actually do one and be inspired by X-Files felt wrong. The point of Kolchak was he was on solo missions that made him look like a crock-pot, but something always happened to the evidence. The difference with X-files was there were determined entities (human or not) to make sure the truth doesn't get out.
Yeah, they'd have to be careful not to be too X-Files but it was done simpler on Kolchak in that it was entities like local police who sanitized the news articles Kolchak submitted or in the case of the movies, ran him out of a city rather than it being part of an ongoing series conspiracy.

the greenman

Yeah, they'd have to be careful not to be too X-Files but it was done simpler on Kolchak in that it was entities like local police who sanitized the news articles Kolchak submitted or in the case of the movies, ran him out of a city rather than it being part of an ongoing series conspiracy.
It would be interesting if they make Kolchak a woman. An older woman. Maybe part Murder, She Wrote and part Buffy. Except, not kicking butt.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The "Wonder Years" discussion jogged my memory, and I've said this before elsewhere, but as far as what series I'm wanting updated:

I'm still wanting a new "Quantum Leap" series.

Airing from 1989 to 1993, the previous "Quantum Leap" revolved around a guy who could time travel back in time to as far as when he was born, so the episodes were often set in the late 50's, the 60's and 70's (there was a handful of episodes set in the early 80's, but that's it).

The new series could focus on a time traveler who goes back to the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. I think it would have real potential, especially if they could get Scott Bakula to return in some manner.

the greenman

The "Wonder Years" discussion jogged my memory, and I've said this before elsewhere, but as far as what series I'm wanting updated:

I'm still wanting a new "Quantum Leap" series.

Airing from 1989 to 1993, the previous "Quantum Leap" revolved around a guy who could time travel back in time to as far as when he was born, so the episodes were often set in the late 50's, the 60's and 70's (there was a handful of episodes set in the early 80's, but that's it).

The new series could focus on a time traveler who goes back to the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. I think it would have real potential, especially if they could get Scott Bakula to return in some manner.
That was one of my favorite series. It was ahead of its time in tackling controversial issues. I saw something on YT with Bellasario talking about the series. He's not against it, but the question of who and he did say something like "don't forget Sam has a daughter. Maybe she would pick up Project Quantum Leap."
I'd like to see Stargate SG-1 returning in some form.
I think there were plans for a reboot before the pandemic. At least with a film.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I'd like to see Stargate SG-1 returning in some form.
Pity they never got finish Stargate Universe or do any of those DTV movies they had planned.

I think, greenman, it was the guy that did the original movie wanted to continue his canon and ignore all the SG-1/Atlantis/Universe continuity.

the greenman

I think, greenman, it was the guy that did the original movie wanted to continue his canon and ignore all the SG-1/Atlantis/Universe continuity.

So you mean Emmerich? I think I remember now. Cause it was right around the time of the ID4 sequel.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So you mean Emmerich? I think I remember now. Cause it was right around the time of the ID4 sequel.
Yes, that's the person. Then the ID4 sequel came out in theaters and well...

I think MGM tried to do a streaming prequel series tied to the 'TV continuity' starring the woman who recruits Dr. Jackson, a few years ago. But I never saw it yet.

the greenman

Yes, that's the person. Then the ID4 sequel came out in theaters and well...

I think MGM tried to do a streaming prequel series tied to the 'TV continuity' starring the woman who recruits Dr. Jackson, a few years ago. But I never saw it yet.
So now that Apple owns MGM, we'll have to see if they look into the IP again.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts