"Young Justice: Phantoms" Season Four Talkback (Spoilers)

Young Justice: Phantoms - Rate and Discuss!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The first two episodes of Young Justice: Phantoms are available now on HBO Max!

yjp_logo.png
Today at DC FanDome Young Justice fans were finally given their first look at the highly-anticipated fourth season, Young Justice: Phantoms.

In true Young Justice fashion, the trailer was action-packed and full of surprises - with the biggest surprise coming in the end when it was announced that the first two episodes of Young Justice: Phantoms are now streaming on HBO Max.

Following this surprise drop, new episodes will be available every Thursday (beginning 10/21), streaming exclusively on HBO Max.

Based on characters from DC, Young Justice: Phantoms is produced by Warner Bros. Animation. Greg Weisman, Brandon Vietti and Sam Register serve as executive producers.
Young Justice Phantoms
Saturday, October 16, 2021 - "#73 Inhospitable" -- Season Premiere!

Miss Martian, Superboy, Beast Boy, and Martian Manhunter take a little vacation...to somewhat unfriendly climes.

Saturday, October 16, 2021 - "#74 Needful"
While attempting to solve a growing list of mysteries, Miss Martian, Superboy, and Beast Boy consult with royalty.

Discuss the new season right here and stay tuned for further updates and more!

External Link

HBO Max page

Mod Note: Please feel free to start discussing the episodes right away after they are released!

Discussion is encouraged, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Feel free to comment as the episode streams, too, providing your own running commentary, though AVOID successive posting or posts with only three words and under. However, do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And please remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC! Any mention or implication of viewing an episode through illegal means will not be tolerated - the post will be deleted and/or an infraction will be issued.

Marvelman02

S04E01 & S04E02 were a return to form for Young Justice! In retrospect, there wasn't much action but there was plenty of suspense and I stayed intrigued throughout! I can honestly say I enjoyed these two episodes more than anything I saw in season three. My only complaint is that I hated Phantom Girl's voice! It had me rolling my eyes and saying to myself: "Oh, look. The producers are trying to save money by using the same VA twice." I guess I can't blame Greg & Brandon for doing that but it was still annoying. I still dislike Stargirl's mole but I guess they felt they needed a way to distinguish Courtney from all of the other peppy blondes on the show.

There were some characters in Gar's photos I did not recognize. This happens midway through S04E02. The girl with the white skin and blue hair - is that Killer Frost or New Wave? The blonde girl in the third pic, er, the blonde girl standing behind Stargirl is probably Windfall. I hope they have found someone new to voice her as her VA from last season was awful. (Sorry, Zehra. That's what happens when you voice 10 different characters.) I can't figure out the identity of the villain in Wonder Girl's magic lasso. Any ideas?

Somebody suggested that Perdita is being forced into an arranged with Geo-Force. I'm leaning towards agreeing with this theory. But, I would point out to Gar that if petite blonde eastern-European princesses are his type that there is another one close at hand.

Finally, it seemed strange to me that M'gann was so... abrasive with the one sibling who wants anything to do with her. What's up with that? Does M'gann just resent Em'ree for being green? Or, is there more to the story?

Last edited:

ShadowStar

I loved these episodes -- it looks like we're in for an intense season. In a good way!

I wonder if J'onn is dead and the Martian Manhunter whom we subsequently saw on the Watchtower was an imposter who zeta-d there from elsewhere. I don't really buy that J'onn survived, given the timing of the explosion. Also, remember how in "Failsafe", a previously-thought-dead J'onn was discovered alive and went on to stab Miss Martian in the back (or, in that instance, punch a hole in her chest)? Well, we've already seen that "Failsafe" was a sign of things to come, with both the Reach Invasion and the death of a Team member in the arctic. Maybe something more is going on here.

The blessing ceremony on the Great River was beautiful. I was emotional watching that scene. Another scene that hit hard was M'gann's confrontation with M'comm in the second episode. She did indeed unwittingly trade him for an Earth brother.

The music was great in these episodes -- I felt that it captured the cosmic majesty of Mars and all of the drama that was unfolding psychically.

The new intro gives me chills. It's amazing!

For now, I'll just also say that the trailer was cool, especially the stuff with Klarion. He sure looked mad -- and he was taking a beating as well!
S04E01 & S04E02 were a return to form for Young Justice! In retrospect, there wasn't much action but there was plenty of suspense and I stayed intrigued throughout! I can honestly say I enjoyed these two episodes more than anything I saw in season three. My only complaint is that I hated Phantom Girl's voice! It had me rolling my eyes and saying to myself: "Oh, look. The producers are trying to save money by using the same VA twice." I guess I can't blame Greg & Brandon for doing that but it was still annoying. I still dislike Stargirl's mole but I guess they felt they needed a way to distinguish Courtney from all of the other peppy blondes on the show.

There were some characters in Gar's photos I did not recognize. This happens midway through S04E02. The girl with the white skin and blue hair - is that Killer Frost or New Wave? The blonde girl in the third pic, er, the blonde girl standing behind Stargirl is probably Windfall. I hope they have found someone new to voice her as her VA from last season was awful. (Sorry, Zehra. That's what happens when you voice 10 different characters.) I can't figure out the identity of the villain in Wonder Girl's magic lasso. Any ideas?
To answer some of those questions: I believe that's Livewire, not New Wave. We saw Livewire with Mist several times in season 3. Then, as you say, I think that the blonde girl at the back in the last pic is Windfall/Wendy. Isn't the captured villain Kobra? Looked like him to me.

the greenman

So, guess Greg got tired of the boom tube designations questions. Put them in the titles.

Earth-16 universe Jemm is martian? Okay.

The first time I actually saw a relation between Wanda and Ms. Martian. Hmm. Interesting development so far. Now to see why the LoS kids are there? Are they there to snatch Conner?

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Lonewolf36

So, guess Greg got tired of the boom tube designations questions. Put them in the titles.

Earth-16 universe Jemm is martian? Okay.

The first time I actually saw a relation between Wanda and Ms. Martian. Hmm. Interesting development so far. Now to see why the LoS kids are there? Are they there to snatch Conner?

For some reason i feel they are there for Miss Martian and not Superboy.

Frontier

Staff member
I like the new intro way more than the last season. Showing off the main OG!Team in their adult forms with all the scenes of their past hearkens back to the season 1 theme and is also way more dynamic than the intro for the last two seasons :).

Well, figures Brion, now being brainwashed and turning into the Light's stooge king, wouldn't keep in contact with his old teammates, even his sister and ex-girlfriend. But the emotional grief is making Violet turn to Islam for support...so I guess that's good :confused:.

Harper and Cullen are now living with Snapper and company? And things are...a little less awkward with Harper and Violet after everything. I love Ben Diskin, but he makes Cullen sound a little too old :oops:.

Well, Conner and M'Gann aren't the only ones enjoying marital bliss as Snapper married that sheriff lady. I mean, good for them I guess. Snapper living his best life now that he's no longer the Rick Jones of the Justice League :rolleyes2:.

The stress of running The Outsiders seems to really be getting to Gar, on-top of all the emotional trauma he's had to deal with all the people in his life he's lost. Like he was on edge practically the whole time and completely lost it when they thought J'onn had died. He seems on the brink of breaking emotionally. And he's so busy while Perdita has been busy taking care of refugees fleeing from Markovia that they're effectively on break, which isn't helping :(.

Cassie is now the leader of the Outsiders with Beast Boy gone? It looks like she's upgraded to a new Wonder Girl costume that looks more like Diana's costume from last season. It reminds me a lot of how she took over Young Justice in the comics and got a new look out of it :).

So, quite a bit of changes to the Outsiders...we start off with Superboy, Forager, and Tara joining, but in-between that we've had Livewire (who I guess has gone hero for good?), Stargirl (who looks younger than she did), Robin (Tim ditching the hood), Looker, Windfall, and Terra has a new costume. I guess some of those could've just been hanging out with the team and not members, but it seems like Stargirl and Looker are at least probably members :cool:.

I honestly thought for a second that Beast Boy could talk in animal form now until I realized they were all speaking telepathically :oops:.

One of the benefits of J'onn not being the last son of Mars is the show can really dive into and develop martian culture beyond the extinct Green Martians and the savage White Martians :D.

So M'Gann's sister named herself after J'onn? Jeez, I wonder how many of J'onn's nieces and nephews wishes they were his kids :eek:.

Poor Beast Boy. First she morphs into his dead mom, and then she morphs into his other dead mom...and she's even voiced by the same VA as said dead mom :(.

They got Carl Lumbly to play a White Martian? And J'onn's brother-in-law? That's hilarious :D.

You can't do a Mars story without Malafak...to be honest, I kind of wish we had gotten to see J'onn fight his traditional nemesis, even if he's more associated with M'Gann on the show. Although they're still related :ack:.

Just goes to show how special J'onn is as Martian Manhunter that he's able to sway the populace to peace just with his words! He truly is the hero of mars :cool:.

Here I was wondering how soon we'd get into the Legion and within the first two episodes we have Saturn Girl, Phantom Girl, and Chameleon Boy all in full costume and doing stuff. Like, wow! And they got Kari Wahlgren to play Imra again! And Dee Bradley Baker as Chameleon Boy is, like, the most obvious thing ever :p.

I was worried Imra had some weird mom bun before they showed she has a ponytail...I miss Phantom Girl's cape though :(.

I guess if you wanted to include Jemm and do a play on how he's connected to Martian culture, making the Saturnians Red Martians make's enough sense. Jemm seems on the up-and-up here and a good prince, although I'm curious about that mixed marriage he was trying to get involved in...he also seemed to brighten up when they mentioned Malafak. You don't think...:confused:?

So is Kari Wahlgren Courtney's new VA as Stargirl? I noticed her voice when the shape-changed Outsiders were talking to the trio, and when transformed I think they had the same voices as who they were in the body of...

M'ars. M'Hunter. Yeah, I kind of should've seen that coming. Although now I realize the show pronounces J'onn's name more Jah-On than Jeanne like other shows have o_O.

Has Cyborg joined the League? At least that's why I assume he was there :).

The sibling drama between M'Gann and Malafak stem from the fact that they were the only two White Martians of their family and, despite their parents best efforts, they were ostracized from their other Green siblings and they had to lean on each other...and then M'Gann basically left him behind to go onto Earth and found a foster brother...who is green. Yeah, I can kind of understand why he took that personally :sweat:.

So it turns out if you want a mixed race wedding at Mars, you need someone who is either too old to care about the fallout or young enough to be idealistic...and can fit it into her schedule ;).

Welp, it's not Kryptonite but Conner is far enough from the sun that he's more vulnerable now. Uh oh :ack:.

Desaad delivers a gene bomb for Malafak to use to kill all Green and Red Martians, and possibly himself because he's mixed, so I guess the heroes have even more to contend with beyond solving the king's murder o_O.

Looks like the ending credits are going to develop the story even further now that they have full dialogue. So you really have to watch them :p.

khuddle

Looks like from the trailers they're completing ignoring the characters from Season 3
-- Geoforce, Halo and Forager. Not that I mind -- I'm just ecstatic to see another season
of Young Justice -- but it does seem odd to go through all that trouble to build up these
characters in Season 3 only to completely ignore them the following season.

Marvelman02

I was annoyed about the selection of Legionnaires. I had hoped that Greg & Brandon would go with legionnaires who had not been used on other shows. Still, it is the Legion and I'm glad they're there.

the greenman

Looks like from the trailers they're completing ignoring the characters from Season 3
-- Geoforce, Halo and Forager. Not that I mind -- I'm just ecstatic to see another season
of Young Justice -- but it does seem odd to go through all that trouble to build up these

Well, don't forget, they're still working on the back end of the season. They also want to avoid SPOILERS as we all know. I imagine that we'll see a few of the Outsiders, but with this mainly being outer space; who knows.

I was annoyed about the selection of Legionnaires. I had hoped that Greg & Brandon would go with legionnaires who had not been used on other shows. Still, it is the Legion and I'm glad they're there.

Saturn Girl and Chameleon Boy were the first to be used in modern animation, way back in STAS. Honestly, right now I'm curious if this season story may be similar to the actual Legionnaires comic. I didn't read it devotedly, but the idea of race relations between aliens seems familiar. Perhaps the team will borrow from that book a little like they did with Batman & the Outsiders for part of last season's arc.

ShadowStar

Well, Halo and Forager showed up in the first episode and they addressed the former's connection to Gabrielle at the end of episode 1, with a connection between Chameleon Boy and Forager also being teased in episode 2. And Brion was both mentioned and shown in flashback. So these characters aren't being completely ignored. They'll probably have smaller roles this season (like Blue Beetle did in season 3 after starring in season 2) but they're around. As always, story needs/demands take priority with this show.

mido3issa

Hello every body , I just wandering what is the meaning of "ma'al" that they said on march
thanks

colomb

If Wonder Girl becomes the leader of the Outsiders I wonder if they really do change the team name to Titans at some point. Although, they would have to come up with a reason for it to be natural and not arbitrary.

Frontier

Staff member
This season is going to focus back on the original Team members, so I think development with other characters will be interspersed through that, but we see with the beginning and ending of the first episode that they're checking into Violet and how she's handling what happened to Brion.
I mean, the Legion cartoon used all the main Legionnaires so it's not like they had much of a selection that hadn't been used at some point.

I guess I'm just curious who else is there in the present with those three. I think someone said they may have seen Tyroc's hand?
If Wonder Girl becomes the leader of the Outsiders I wonder if they really do change the team name to Titans at some point. Although, they would have to come up with a reason for it to be natural and not arbitrary.
The Outsiders are more or less basically the Young Justice team from the comics in terms of role and roster. Cassie even leading the team happened with the original YJ.

Like they literally have Tim, Cassie, Conner, and Bart all on the same team together.

colomb

The Outsiders are more or less basically the Young Justice team from the comics in terms of role and roster. Cassie even leading the team happened with the original YJ.

Like they literally have Tim, Cassie, Conner, and Bart all on the same team together.
Weren't those four also the core of the Titans for a while?

Marvelman02

Well, Halo and Forager showed up in the first episode and they addressed the former's connection to Gabrielle at the end of episode 1, with a connection between Chameleon Boy and Forager also being teased in episode 2. And Brion was both mentioned and shown in flashback. So these characters aren't being completely ignored. They'll probably have smaller roles this season (like Blue Beetle did in season 3 after starring in season 2) but they're around. As always, story needs/demands take priority with this show.

I mean, the Legion cartoon used all the main Legionnaires so it's not like they had much of a selection that hadn't been used at some point.

I guess I'm just curious who else is there in the present with those three. I think someone said they may have seen Tyroc's hand?
1) Element Lad, Wildfire, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lass, Princess Projectra, Shadow Lass, Shrinking Violet, Colossal Boy, Matter-Eater Lad. Some of these characters have appeared on shows but not in large roles. The most used characters are the founders, Brainiac 5, and Chameleon Boy.

2) Tyroc???? Well, the dude that caused the explosion at end of "Inhospitable" did look black.

Frontier

Staff member
1) Element Lad, Wildfire, Ultra Boy, Lightning Lass, Princess Projectra, Shadow Lass, Shrinking Violet, Colossal Boy, Matter-Eater Lad. Some of these characters have appeared on shows but not in large roles. The most used characters are the founders, Brainiac 5, and Chameleon Boy.
Well, I think it makes sense they're starting small. We have enough characters as is...

Frontier

Staff member
True. And, if they have to recycle a bunch of voice actors just so we can have more legionnaires then it isn't worth it.
I kind of want to see how they came up with Kari Wahlgren as Saturn Girl. Did they just realize they needed a Saturn Girl VA, looked at Kari's repetoire and seeing she's voiced her twice, and knowing she's one of their stable VA's, and just think "yeah, let's go with that?" :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts