Disney International Channel Closures Thread

BlooCNBoy02

I'm blue. A nostalgic CN fan.
Here's my compilation of previous and upcoming closures of Disney-operated channels (2020 onward).

31 MAR 2020
Dlife Japan

1 APR 2020
Disney Channel ANZ
Disney Junior ANZ
Disney XD Germany
Disney XD Spain

1 MAY 2020
Disney XD France
Disney Channel Italy
Disney Junior Italy

1 OCT 2020
Disney Channel UK
Disney Junior UK
Disney XD UK

1 JAN 2021
Disney XD Asia
Disney XD Scandinavia
Fox Korea
Fox Scandinavia
Fox Life Korea
Fox Life Turkey
FX Korea

1 FEB 2021
Disney XD EMEA
Disney XD Greece
Disney XD Japan

1 JUL 2021
Fox UK
Fox Crime Italy

1 OCT 2021
Channel [V] Asia
Disney Channel Asia (inc. Hong Kong Feed)
Disney Channel Korea
Disney Junior Asia
Disney Junior GAS
Disney Junior Korea
Fox Africa
Fox Asia (inc. Philippines, Vietnam Feed)
Fox GAS
Fox Crime Asia
Fox Life Asia
Fox Movies Asia
Fox Action Movies Asia
Fox Family Movies Asia
Fox Sports Asia 1,2,3
FX Asia
Nat Geo People Asia (MENA, Asia feed)
Star Chinese Movies Legend
Star Movies China
Star Sports China/Korea 1,2

1 DEC 2021
Baby TV HD India
Bindass
UTV Movies
UTV Action
UTV HD
Star Sports 1 Bangla
Star Sports 1 Marathi
Star World India
Star World HD India
Star World Premiere HD India

1 JAN 2022
Disney Channel Taiwan
Disney Junior Taiwan
ESPN Classic USA
Fox Taiwan

1 FEB 2022
Star Hits LatAm
Star Series LatAm
Star Action LatAm
Star Cinema LatAm
Star Classics LatAm
Star Comedy LatAm
Star Fun LatAm
Star Hits Brazil
Star Hits 2 Brazil

Let me know if I missed any.
The Australian Disney-branded channels actually closed on 1 May 2020, along with the Italian ones.

jokerbeans2091

Disney XD Needs to go The Network is more staler than ever and Airing Nat Geo content isn’t going to keep them afloat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insidus

Disney Channel has been renewed through 2024 in Africa I hope there's no loopholes.

Not going to mention the parties as this is strictly a group related to Disney but what happened was a provider renewed their contract with that supplier and mentioned all the stuff staying on that platform.

Two years later, you discover one of those products are being removed from the shelves even after it was announced that it was renewed.

The mind boggling reason was that the product was given a mini extension and they didn't bother to mention that in the agreement.

I'm telling y'all stay alert don't be a victim as well for all we know they might be referring to National Geographic and ESPN
f50624050efcf698178ff42eb2f6e18c.jpg

Sent from my Hisense U964 using Tapatalk

Insidus

Likely because Disney+ won't be set to be launched in markets other than South Africa.
That could be the case as well seeing that the rest of Africa are usually fortunate enough to get stuff a year later luckily I'm not part of that region but I do still feel like Disney Channel and mostly Disney Junior aren't part of the 2024 extension

To answer the part about mostly, Disney Channel has started airing preschool series again with Gigantasourous being the first entry in this decade.

Streaker Prower

Disney Channel has been renewed through 2024 in Africa I hope there's no loopholes.

Not going to mention the parties as this is strictly a group related to Disney but what happened was a provider renewed their contract with that supplier and mentioned all the stuff staying on that platform.

Two years later, you discover one of those products are being removed from the shelves even after it was announced that it was renewed.

The mind boggling reason was that the product was given a mini extension and they didn't bother to mention that in the agreement.

I'm telling y'all stay alert don't be a victim as well for all we know they might be referring to National Geographic and ESPN
f50624050efcf698178ff42eb2f6e18c.jpg

Especially with Kiff being a American/South African Co-Production

JulianRO

So yes, Disney plans to launch Disney+ in CEE at least in the next summer.

Lots of people think here that Disney Channel is gonna close once Disney+ will launch, but since it's extremely viewed here, the chances are quite low. Now ofc, it's Disney's decision.

malurian

So yes, Disney plans to launch Disney+ in CEE at least in the next summer.

Lots of people think here that Disney Channel is gonna close once Disney+ will launch, but since it's extremely viewed here, the chances are quite low. Now ofc, it's Disney's decision.
High viewership is no guarantee of a channel's immediate-term survival, especially a Disney-owned one. In my country, the local Disney Channels and Fox Movies Channels reached around 3 million viewers in their final months.

jokerbeans2091

High viewership is no guarantee of a channel's immediate-term survival, especially a Disney-owned one. In my country, the local Disney Channels and Fox Movies Channels reached around 3 million viewers in their final months.

yea in the uk the fox channel had good viewing figures but that didn’t stop that from getting axed by disney.

RegularCapital

Staff member
yea in the uk the fox channel had good viewing figures but that didn’t stop that from getting axed by disney.

FOX was axed because Disney+ in the UK reached a subscriber threshold (or at least a growth projection) to justify closing it down, outweighing the overheads from running a TV channel, and they believed it was better than the benefits of subscription TV payments and advertising. As Disney doesn't own the Fox name (they have a five year licence to use FOX branding running from March 2019), they would either have to rebrand the channels as Star, or close them.

In the media business, it's not necessarily about what generates the most views, but what can make the most money, knowing how indebted Disney is, they're making a lot of controversial decisions. Their theme park business was crippled by the pandemic, as well as their movie business, and they couldn't produce much live-action content.

Last edited:

JulianRO

what can make the most money, knowing how indebted Disney is, they're making a lot of controversial decisions.
Unfortunately, this is the truth. This is also the reason why both Fox Kids and Jetix were killed by Disney. Disney killed them just to launch an annoying channel with lots of sitcoms and reality-shows that children will never understand.

harry580

In the media business, it's not necessarily about what generates the most views, but what can make the most money, knowing how indebted Disney is, they're making a lot of controversial decisions. Their theme park business was crippled by the pandemic, as well as their movie business, and they couldn't produce much live-action content.
the one notable controversy decision I can think of was the blue sky studios closure and that is really depressing for me but hey, at least we have ice age adventures of buck wild coming

Insidus

the one notable controversy decision I can think of was the blue sky studios closure and that is really depressing for me but hey, at least we have ice age adventures of buck wild coming
It's not like they had any other choice and notice how this new ice age doesn't mention the studio in the credits. I think this brand will go through the same route as Classic Media.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Yeah, that was sad how that was handled, it could've became an East Coast division of Pixar, but I guess they've already got Pixar and Walt Disney Animation can do CGI now.

jokerbeans2091

didn’t know where to post this so i’m just gonna post it in here but looking at this i think Disney XD is gonna be the first one to die because if ESPN classic got the axe i’m assuming disney xd will to:

RegularCapital

Staff member

didn’t know where to post this so i’m just gonna post it in here but looking at this i think Disney XD is gonna be the first one to die because if ESPN classic got the axe i’m assuming disney xd will to:

TBH, I think every channel has taken a hit from cord-cutting, Disney in particular because of Disney+, the weaker channels will close eventually, I predict Summer 2022 for Disney XD, around the same time the Canadian broadcast licence expires. Seeing that Cartoon Network has increased its variety (as well its demographics) and its working rather well for them, can see Disney Channel doing the same, with some XD shows included.

Unfortunately, this is the truth. This is also the reason why both Fox Kids and Jetix were killed by Disney. Disney killed them just to launch an annoying channel with lots of sitcoms and reality-shows that children will never understand.
Internationally, Disney saw DXD's output more of an upgrade, it was, and the channel didn't stray away from the male kid demographic, just the content was different and more expensive to produce. DXD should've appealed to teenagers and adults more because of the animated Marvel and Star Wars content on the channel, a lot of this was overlooked as it aired on a "kids channel", people I know that are my age or older are only just discovering this stuff now as its on Disney+. Kids have a lot more access to other forms of entertainment nowadays, which is another reason why the channels are getting lower viewing figures.

Also, Disney becoming mostly basic cable made Jetix somewhat of an awkward member of the Disney family, as being a basic-cable action animation channel was its unique selling proposition.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts