"Marvel Zombies" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I think you can probably get a lot of mileage out of a post-apocalyptic zombie Marvel cartoon expanding on What If...I just hope this has less jokes :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm guessing this could end up being closer to the comics, since it's a series there would probably be more time to develop the world and maybe some of the zombies (unless it's actually supposed to be a continuation of the What If...? scenario we had earlier this year...)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I don't really think it can be considering weren't all the What If Zombies buried on Infinite Ultron in the finale of What If? So I would like to think this would clearly be a totally different universe.

Though yeah one I hope is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less joke filled. Seriously if you're going to do a full on Marvel Zombies series you HAVE to be able to commit to the grimness and horror of the situation. And if there are jokes it's done in a much more dark and grilm way. I don't know if this will follow too much the original set up of Marvel zombies if it's about a new generation of heroes but yeah hopefully the zombies will be more like their Marvel Zombies comic selves then just mindless monsters. Like hopefully this series won't need to worry about needing to adhere to the MCU and can just cast alternates for the voices more to make it much more it's own thing while again still remaining true to the spirit of the comics. You would hope since Marvel Zombies is generally seen as one of the weakest episodes of What If (certainly mine) the team behind this would realize what didn't work there and make sure it's not in this version.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wonder if it will be based in the continuity of the episode from what if season 1. The one reason I wouldn't want to see them do that is the fact that a lot of the more interesting MCU characters that we could see zombified have already been eliminated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder if it will be based in the continuity of the episode from what if season 1. The one reason I wouldn't want to see them do that is the fact that a lot of the more interesting MCU characters that we could see zombified have already been eliminated.

My first assumption was it would be a spinoff based around the What If episode, but maybe they'll try to rework it a little.

Because also, if they go in that direction, the assumption would be they'll still try to keep as many MCU actors as they can.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
What does a "new generation of heroes" even mean? Is that like on DCW's Earth-X where they have the most obscure superheroes trying to fight back?

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Maybe we'll see the MCU Young Avengers that everybody has thought they've been building up to so far.
Throw a different curveball and have the Next Avengers lead the way, so the Young Avengers would either already be zombified or be as old as the original Avengers mentoring their kids. I get that the movie was about an actual Age of Ultron, but What If? already crossed that bridge.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Looks like there will be an update on the show at the San Diego Comic-Con.

Marvel Studios
Friday, July 22, 2022
11:45 AM - 1:15 PM
1 hour 30 minutes
Ballroom 20

Marvel Studios head of streaming, television and animation Brad Winderbaum; head of visual development Ryan Meinerding; and special guests dive into all things animation with exclusive looks at X-Men 97, Marvel Zombies, What If…? season 2, and more.

Frontier

Staff member

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Between D+ streaming the TV-MA Defenders shows and films like Deadpool and Logan, this was definitely inevitable. People who are still nervous about Deadpool 3 shouldn't be.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I wasn't a huge fan of the Zombies episode but I did like the ragtag team of heroes that had to survive. This show seems to throw in even more characters into the mix so that could be fun. I don't see this lasting for several seasons like The Walking Dead (which I never watched, by the way).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wasn't a huge fan of the Zombies episode but I did like the ragtag team of heroes that had to survive. This show seems to throw in even more characters into the mix so that could be fun. I don't see this lasting for several seasons like The Walking Dead (which I never watched, by the way).
I only watched the first three and a half seasons of TWD before I quit, knowing that the show would just get too heartbreaking for me. Funny enough, Robert Kirkman made the real zombies and the Marvel Zombies.

My own personal history with the property is a little shaky. I read the very grim Frightful Four stuff from Ultimate Fantastic Four, read a couple of issues here and there of the main series, and then read the more comedic Army of Darkness crossover. I wonder which tone this will go with.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
09/28/2022:
Via Animation Magazine-

Stellar’s Vancouver Studio is currently working on Marvel Studios series, including multiple seasons of Emmy-nominated What If?… and the recently announced Marvel Zombies.

“Stellar is thrilled to be working in the Marvel Universe with Marvel Studios’ exceptional teams. We are so proud of our team for creating such world class content for our wonderful partners at Marvel,” added co-founder Ferguson.

10/14:
It seems there will only be 4 episodes. At least in the first season, I suppose.

11/29/2023:
Comments from Iman Vellani. Apparently Ms. Marvel will be kind of the main character.

Note the article might contain spoilers for The Marvels.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts