"Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (Disney+ Animated Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A new Spider-Man animated series will premiere on Disney+.
The animated series follows Peter Parker on his way to becoming Spider-Man in the MCU, with a journey unlike we've ever seen and a style that celebrates the character’s early comic book roots. Written by Executive Producer Jeff Trammel.

EDIT 12/11:
Title was changed to Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

Comments?

Stay tuned for further updates!

Related Links
:
"Marvel Animation on Disney+" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I'm game for a new Spider-Man cartoon and it's about time we had one, but it's yet another Spider-Man cartoon about a high school Spider-Man just starting out which we've gotten plenty of by this point.

And my other point of contention is that it's yet another MCU tie-in. Now, personally, I'm not the biggest fan of MCU Spider-Man so that may effect my opinion but I feel like the series is severely limiting itself if it has to abide by the continuity and story structure of the MCU rather than doing its own thing, on-top of the depiction of the characters used in the MCU. Although, granted, even if it wasn't officially in the MCU it would have probably been derivative of it anyways.

And, like, what kind of progression are we expecting to see here? Peter learning the ropes before Civil War? So is he not even going to get to sport his normal costume at all in this series? And he never fought any major villains until Vulture so, while ostensibly this show can use some more obscure and less notable villains, who is he going to fight? It sounds like they're just going to do a full series like those origin shorts from Marvel's Spider-Man, but I'm not really sure if there's much story to tell there.

I guess there's also the question of the voice cast. Will Mick Wingert somehow appear in every episode because we can't have MCU Spider-Man without Iron Man? Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan? They couldn't get Tom Holland back for What If so will Hudson Thomas do his voice here? I guess Jacob Batalon and Zendaya wouldn't be hard to get back.

On the plus side, having it set in the MCU means they can't force any other Spider-Heroes into the series and it will be just about Spider-Man.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Cole Harrington is a storyboard artist for the show (as mentioned on his Twitter profile). He's worked as a storyboard artist on Elena Of Avalor, DC Superhero Girls 2019, and Santiago Of The Seas.

Screenshot_20211112-124620.png

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It could be 3D, or it could be 2D. Many storyboard artists have worked on both. For example, Tom Morgan has worked on 2D shows (X Men Evolution, Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Hulk And The Agents Of Smash, Jake And The Neverland Pirates, The 7D) and 3D shows (Jimmy Neutron, Back At The Barnyard, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Mickey And The Roadster Racers, Mickey Mouse Funhouse).

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Honestly I'm hoping this is just a short like small one season series that pretty much is just there to give the origin to the Tom Holland MCU Spider Man the movies didn't show at all. Since some have been wondering what exactly is his backstory since obviously it would differ from the MacGuire and Garfield movies. And in that regard I can see why this was made. But I have to say this is the least of the new projects I'm interested in. Like I have my own reservations on marvel Zombies and don't have the nostalgia love for X-Men 90s to be super into 97 but I can still really appreciate them being made. This? Not nearly as much. Again has that one idea but I just hope it executes that then can end with that loose end tied up.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder:

Freshman Year: Pre-Civil War.

Sophomore Year: Homecoming - Infinity War?

Junior Year: Endgame - Far From Home?

Senior Year: Far From Home - No Way Home - Beyond?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Just yesterday, I was talking with a buddy about how burned out I was on Marvel doing teen dweeby high school Spider-Man and that Spectacular was the only place where they really got it right in my eyes. I was talking about how nice it would be to see a college age Peter again. Then a day after, this is announced.

All I can really hope for is that it's good.

With Warner Bros and DC working on the new Batman and Superman shows, I was wondering when Marvel animation was also going to go back to basics with their huge characters for them. It's kind of funny to actually see it happening.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Just yesterday, I was talking with a buddy about how burned out I was on Marvel doing teen dweeby high school Spider-Man and that Spectacular was the only place where they really got it right in my eyes. I was talking about how nice it would be to see a college age Peter again. Then a day after, this is announced.

All I can really hope for is that it's good.

With Warner Bros and DC working on the new Batman and Superman shows, I was wondering when Marvel animation was also going to go back to basics with their huge characters for them. It's kind of funny to actually see it happening.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I guess I'm not so much against the back-to-basics approach as I am still having stuff slavishly centered around the MCU. Like, if we ever get another Avengers cartoon, it'll have to be set in the MCU at this point.

I feel like in a post-Insomniac Spider-Man and ITSV world people are more open to an adult Peter Parker, but I guess there's no getting around that for something centered around the MCU.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not super excited for all the reasons Frontier outlined. Still, I'm going to try to come up with a couple of positives.

1. I'm sure the production values will be much higher than in the previous shows. I hope we get some exciting fight sequences again.

2. Since in the deleted scene in Far from Home had Spidey take out Manfredi goons, maybe we could have this Spider-Man take on not just crooks and small-time criminals, but also the criminal underworld. Not just Silvermane, but also Tombstone, Hammerhead, the other Enforcers, Crime-Master, etc. It's an areas that hasn't really been explored since Spectacular. Also, maybe we could even find out why Mac Gargan hates Spidey so much, since I doubt he'd get that vindictive in Homecoming's post-credits over a single bust.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Batman & Spider-Man went pre-school.
And now Batman & Spider-Man are going golden age. There has to be some sort of conspiracy. :zim:

Yeah, I'm not super excited for all the reasons Frontier outlined. Still, I'm going to try to come up with a couple of positives.
I can think of other positives. The last Spidey show did do that short series of his origin which to date is the best piece of animated Spidey content in years. Going back to the beginning, even if it's Tom Holland Peter Parker's beginning, should provide more than enough breathing room for who he truly is before we got to this constant need to prove his worth as a superhero to others. Another positive - this is before anyone else knows he's Peter Parker. Heck, if they wanna sprinkle in those Avengers on the news or on social media to brand this version as being such a fanboy...comparatively speaking, there'll be so much more time devoted to him juggling that normal social life whilst being a competent do-gooder.

Frontier

Staff member
2. Since in the deleted scene in Far from Home had Spidey take out Manfredi goons, maybe we could have this Spider-Man take on not just crooks and small-time criminals, but also the criminal underworld. Not just Silvermane, but also Tombstone, Hammerhead, the other Enforcers, Crime-Master, etc. It's an areas that hasn't really been explored since Spectacular. Also, maybe we could even find out why Mac Gargan hates Spidey so much, since I doubt he'd get that vindictive in Homecoming's post-credits over a single bust.
To be honest I would've assumed if they wanted to do a Spider-Man cartoon with MCU Spidey they'd set it between the movies where Spidey was most active if they wanted to at least fit in any recognizable villains, which is why I'm surprised this is seemingly set pre-Civil War.

I guess it makes me wonder how strictly they're going to follow the movies here.
The Enforcers were the first villains I could think of, who could appear here.
What happened to Jackson Brice/Montana before Vulture vaporized him :p.
Batman & Spider-Man went pre-school.
And now Batman & Spider-Man are going golden age. There has to be some sort of conspiracy. :zim:

I can think of other positives. The last Spidey show did do that short series of his origin which to date is the best piece of animated Spidey content in years. Going back to the beginning, even if it's Tom Holland Peter Parker's beginning, should provide more than enough breathing room for who he truly is before we got to this constant need to prove his worth as a superhero to others. Another positive - this is before anyone else knows he's Peter Parker. Heck, if they wanna sprinkle in those Avengers on the news or on social media to brand this version as being such a fanboy...comparatively speaking, there'll be so much more time devoted to him juggling that normal social life whilst being a competent do-gooder.
Another point...if you wanted a show just about Spider-Man and not Spider-Man and a bunch of Spider-People...well, I guess this show is for you :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.

Featured Posts