C&C - Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon - "The Three Princesses Strike Back" [12/11]

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
A short time ago, on an anime block not that far away...

YASHAHIME

Episode XXIII
THE THREE PRINCESSES STRIKE BACK

It is a dark time for Toonami. Although original series have started to air, financial constraints have driven many acquisitions, including the new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, to the furthest reaches of Netflix.

With very little to air until the budget resets in January, a trio of demon slayers on an Inuyasha spin-off have established a small foothold in the middle of the block until their first season runs out.

And a
s of my writing this, I have not seen this episode or the one before it, and the summary DIRECTV Stream gave me was just one sentence, so a cheap Star Wars parody based on its title was all I had to work with...

yashahimetalk.jpg

Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon
Episode 23
"The Three Princesses Strike Back"

Setsuna and Towa hire Moroha to help track down Zero.

NOTE: This is the SECOND of three premiere episodes of Yashahime, to air tonight at 1am E.

Spoilers lead to the Dark Side.

Nobodyman

Previously on Yashahime: Lady Zero, meet the Hero.....es.

Oh hey Sota. Feels like almost a whole season since we've seen you.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Last time: From Zero to hero.

Both voiced by Crispin Freeman, both have "kirin" in their name...

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
So Towa's homeroom teacher is a demon. But then, many people say that of their homeroom teachers.

I think the word you're looking for is "naive."

Nobodyman

Blood Blade? Isn't that a weapon from Castlevania?

Oh hai Sesshomaru's mom.

I take it she's not the kind to bake cookies for her grandchildren.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Does Kirinmaru have dreams of grading students' papers?

Auntie Zero?

Didn't take long to find her. This isn't running on Fena: Pirate Princess time, is it?

Nobodyman

Ditch the Lady Zero and get with the lady heroes.

If there's anything we've learned from The Penguin, it's that umbrellas can be quite useful in battle.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
"I like you Half-Demon Princesses."
That's way I'm going to kill you last.

I've never abandoned you in times where we need exposition!

YES, TOWA. HE'S EVIL.

Nobodyman

All seven rainbow pearls together at last. Although silver will be playing the role of indigo.

Whoa! Rin woke up.

So Zero used Destiny Bond on Rin.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Real smart, Kira. Now you're on her list too.

Damn, Setsuna.

Uhh, that mandala in the sky just moved.

And Rin woke up in her tank.

Even in death they bicker like on a soap opera.

Hi, Dad.

Nobodyman

"Nothing about me is remotely like a human!"
Except...you know...you do look rather humanoid.

Ah, good ol' Tenseiga.

"Hey, I want my wife to live. What did you expect?"

Whoa. She destroyed Tenseiga. That's like destroying the Dragon Balls.

And here's the big man himself.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Zero's a human, Zero's a human, Zero's a human!

"Don't you dare tell me you used the Tensaiga to bring me back to life!"
"I used the Tenseiga to bring you back to life."
"DAMMIT I TOLD YOU NOT TO TELL ME THAT!!"

Jesus?
...oh, Kirinmaru. Okay.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I thought that this episode was pretty good. I almost forgot about Towa's homeroom teacher. I remember thinking that Towa was going to go back and forth between the past and present like Kagome did in the original series because of her new school, but in retrospect, it was probably better that they didn't do that. Given that both the teacher and Kirinmaru are voiced by Crispin Freeman, I figured that there was a connection between them. It's kind of weird for Krinmaru to exist in both the past and the present. I'm not sure if that implies that the girls fail to defeat him eventually, but it could mean something different given that he seems to exist in both worlds at the same time. It's also interesting how the comet is appearing in the present, even if regular people can't see it.

The girls tracking down Zero to get back for what she did to Setsuna was understandable. I thought that Towa and Riku would fight again, but maybe they wanted to keep them separated with minimal interactions during these last few episodes. Setsuna actually killing Zero with her blood blade was a pretty surprising moment. It could have been because she still doesn't have full control over that power, but it seemed like the strike landed on Zero much harder than Setsuna expected it. The fact that Zero's life is connected to Rin's would explain why she's been in the Tree of Life. She would already be a target given the prophesy about Kirinmaru, but since she can be killed through Zero's death, Sesshomaru would want to keep her safe.

I forgot about Sesshomaru's Tensaiga bringing people back from the death. Since that was pretty much the only way to save Rin, it made sense that he'd do that. Zero really got a lot more worked up over being brought back to life than I thought she would. She was satisfied that her death would allow her to get back at Sesshomaru, but she changed her mind on getting the Rainbow Pearls back pretty quickly. Kirinmaru coming back was a good cliffhanger before the season finale. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts