"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Overlord

What do you think the content level will be on this show? Would Mr. Zsasz be too much for this show?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What do you think the content level will be on this show? Would Mr. Zsasz be too much for this show?
On one hand, hard to say. They reran Harley Quinn on TBS and Adult Swim. On the other hand, this time around, Caped Crusader will air on Cartoon Network proper. But considering what kind of material they had in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, Zsasz could appear if used a certain way.

Funny you ask, just the other day, I was thinking if the Strange Days DC Nation short was the proof of concept used, they could adapt the late Darwyn Cooke's Deju Vu from the Solo comic book series that Timm and Cooke I think originally submitted to Batman Adventures which adapted Engleheart's Night of the Stalker (so it'd be an adaption of an adaption). I don't think Batman ever spoke in that comic and it matches what seem to be the sensibilities of this show. But then I realized the opening might be too intense of CN with the murder of the parents but I mean, we did see the death of the Waynes on CN on JLU but that scene would have to be reworked to pass the TV airing. In theory. In theory. (EDIT: More on the Deja Vu story if anyone wants to know more)

Frontier

Staff member
On one hand, hard to say. They reran Harley Quinn on TBS and Adult Swim. On the other hand, this time around, Caped Crusader will air on Cartoon Network proper. But considering what kind of material they had in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited, Zsasz could appear if used a certain way.

Funny you ask, just the other day, I was thinking if the Strange Days DC Nation short was the proof of concept used, they could adapt the late Darwyn Cooke's Deju Vu from the Solo comic book series that Timm and Cooke I think originally submitted to Batman Adventures which adapted Engleheart's Night of the Stalker (so it'd be an adaption of an adaption). I don't think Batman ever spoke in that comic and it matches what seem to be the sensibilities of this show. But then I realized the opening might be too intense of CN with the murder of the parents but I mean, we did see the death of the Waynes on CN on JLU but that scene would have to be reworked to pass the TV airing. In theory. In theory. (EDIT: More on the Deja Vu story if anyone wants to know more)
I know it's kind of graphic, but I have always wanted to see that story adapted in animated form :).

It'll be interesting to see what kind of content they allow for between this and MawS...could also be indicative of future "general audience," DC cartoons.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
So I was lucky enough to interview James Tucker about his work on the DCAU for about three hours yesterday, and as you might expect, some talk of CAPED CRUSADER came up. A lot of what he said in that regard was off the record, but I think I can share that the 2023 premiere date is not set in stone. It's still possible, but don't be surprised if we don't see it until 2024. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll likely premiere somewhere around the time that Matt Reeves' sequel to THE BATMAN comes out.

And yes, expect a more STRANGE DAYS look and treatment for Batman, although it won't be a period piece.

And you'd better believe that I sent in some samples to WBA! Wish me luck!

The Overlord

I wonder if they do the usual story for Gotham City, where at first it's controlled by normal gangsters like Carmine Falcone or Rupert Thorne, and then over time those gangsters get replaced by freaks and supervillains and they could have someone like Penguin being a capo under one these gangsters at first and taking over most of the rackets by the end.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder if they do the usual story for Gotham City, where at first it's controlled by normal gangsters like Carmine Falcone or Rupert Thorne, and then over time those gangsters get replaced by freaks and supervillains and they could have someone like Penguin being a capo under one these gangsters at first and taking over most of the rackets by the end.
That's basically B:TAS :p.

I am kind of curious how they'll handle the villains though. The Reeves movies went with a more grounded take on the villains, so will that hold true here? Will Batman be fighting more street crime and gangsters instead of Supervillains? Will we see anyone other than probably Catwoman, Riddler, and Penguin o_O?

The Overlord

That's basically B:TAS :p.

I am kind of curious how they'll handle the villains though. The Reeves movies went with a more grounded take on the villains, so will that hold true here? Will Batman be fighting more street crime and gangsters instead of Supervillains? Will we see anyone other than probably Catwoman, Riddler, and Penguin o_O?

Kinda, but in BTAS Thorne was never officially removed from the picture, he never got killed or permanently went to jail or left town due to the freaks, he just kinda stopped appearing after a while. I am talking about more of a story where the freaks and super villains actively displace a normal crime boss like Falcone or Thorne and that crime boss is removed from power by the end.

the greenman

I do think it's too bad that BTAS gradually got away from the gangster stories in favor of all supervillain stories by the time TNBA rolled around. The mobsters gave the series more variety, and that's always a good thing.
Same issue I have with Spider-man. Once Kingpin went over to Daredevil, the gangsters kinda disappeared. Which is why Spectacular Spider-man was refreshing, utilizing Tombstone. Hopefully the films will regain use of Kingpin.

As for this hope we see a healthy mix of both. I like how Beware did it. Maybe this will do the same.
Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Another story they could do, that really hasn't been done a Batman animated series in any big way, a gang war story. Maybe after Falcone is gone and Penquin is running the rackets, Black Mask challenges Penquin for the Throne of Gotham's underworld. Maybe Penquin is the more stable one, while Black Mask is more willing to use extreme measures to win.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Organized crime was a non-factor in The Batman, and while it was present in B:TAS, BatB, and BtB, gang wars either didn't exist or were reduced to small conflicts. But certainly nothing as big as, say, the gang war in Spectacular Spider-Man. So, yeah, it would be cool to see various factions going after each other and how that would impact Batman and Gotham at large.

the greenman

Yeah, I'm not all that sure why the studios steer clear of the gangs in general. At least Daredevil on Netflix took it on deep. I think it's a "bang" factor. The studios want flashy villains. Guys in suits isn't where the big money is.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Organized crime was a non-factor in The Batman, and while it was present in B:TAS, BatB, and BtB, gang wars either didn't exist or were reduced to small conflicts. But certainly nothing as big as, say, the gang war in Spectacular Spider-Man. So, yeah, it would be cool to see various factions going after each other and how that would impact Batman and Gotham at large.
There was Batman taking down Rupert Thorne in the first few minutes of episode 1 (and he had more appearances in the tie-in comic), but that was about it.

Although I wonder if they would commit to a gang war that didn't involve the main Supervillains.

The Overlord

There was Batman taking down Rupert Thorne in the first few minutes of episode 1 (and he had more appearances in the tie-in comic), but that was about it.

Although I wonder if they would commit to a gang war that didn't involve the main Supervillains.

That's why I suggested it be between Black Mask and Penquin, they are still technically super villains, but they are also mobsters and both have visual flare beyond being a guy in a suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts