"Marvel's What If...? (Disney+)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think What If? was better than the other shows nominated for this award but to be fair it was also the only show out of them I watched. It's also pretty nice seeing Marvel Animation win some more awards, it feels like it doesn't happen too often.

the greenman

I think What If? was better than the other shows nominated for this award but to be fair it was also the only show out of them I watched. It's also pretty nice seeing Marvel Animation win some more awards, it feels like it doesn't happen too often.
Yeah, between this and Spiderverse, Marvel should be putting more focus into animation nowadays.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It's nice that Marvel has a show they're submitting for Emmys unashamedly right now, even if it probably wouldn't get my vote if I was a voter. It's nuts because I'm a fan but I found last year to be surprising in a good way when it came to animated shows.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Now that Marvel has the rights to the X-Men and the Fantastic Four again, and with all the Defenders shows being on Disney Plus, will we see those characters on What If in the near future?

Frontier

Staff member
Now that Marvel has the rights to the X-Men and the Fantastic Four again, and with all the Defenders shows being on Disney Plus, will we see those characters on What If in the near future?
I think they'll probably focus on the movies for the foreseeable future...

the greenman

I think they'll probably focus on the movies for the foreseeable future...
Yeah, we probably won't see any characters that haven't come out on screen yet.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I presume they would want to introduce new characters in the movies first, before showing any alternate What If takes on them. So I'm not really expecting any X-Men or F4 to show up in the second season (which has been in production for a while). But if the show manages to last a few more seasons, I imagine we'll see them, too.

Frontier

Staff member
I presume they would want to introduce new characters in the movies first, before showing any alternate What If takes on them. So I'm not really expecting any X-Men or F4 to show up in the second season (which has been in production for a while). But if the show manages to last a few more seasons, I imagine we'll see them, too.
We might eventually get a "what if these characters were around earlier in the MCU movie timeline?" but that's probably far off...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
04/18:
We might eventually get a "what if these characters were around earlier in the MCU movie timeline?" but that's probably far off...
The Eternals could probably be the first ones to benefit from this scenario.

06/05:
Article about the music for some of the Marvel Disney+ shows. What If? is also discussed in the last few paragraphs. Episode 4, "What If Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?" is submitted for Emmy consideration.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
04/18:

The Eternals could probably be the first ones to benefit from this scenario.

06/05:
Article about the music for some of the Marvel Disney+ shows. What If? is also discussed in the last few paragraphs. Episode 4, "What If Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?" is submitted for Emmy consideration.
Yeah, I think that episode is definitely the right to put up for consideration.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
07/08:
Looks like there will be an update on the show at the San Diego Comic-Con.

Marvel Studios
Friday, July 22, 2022
11:45 AM - 1:15 PM
1 hour 30 minutes
Ballroom 20

Marvel Studios head of streaming, television and animation Brad Winderbaum; head of visual development Ryan Meinerding; and special guests dive into all things animation with exclusive looks at X-Men 97, Marvel Zombies, What If…? season 2, and more.

07/12:
The Emmy nominations were announced. "What If Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead Of His Hands?" is nominated for Outstanding Animated Program, but we also have nominations for voice-over performances, Chadwick Boseman for "What If T’Challa Became A Star-Lord?", and Jeffrey Wright for "What If Ultron Won?".

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
07/12:
The Emmy nominations were announced. "What If Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead Of His Hands?" is nominated for Outstanding Animated Program, but we also have nominations for voice-over performances, Chadwick Boseman for "What If T’Challa Became A Star-Lord?", and Jeffrey Wright for "What If Ultron Won?".
As always, congrats to the cast and crew on the nominations :).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
News from Comic-Con. Will update this as more info is posted-

Season 2 premieres in early 2023.

Episodes include a Hela story, Odin vs the Mandarin, Captain Carter meets Winter Soldier, and Iron Man on Sakaar with Valyrie & Hulk. I think this last one is the episode they cut from the 1st season.

Season 3 is in the works!

EDIT:
IGN also reports-
Revealed during Marvel's animation panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2022, a behind-closed-doors preview showed off a handful of heroes and villains from the MCU's multiversal realities, including Captain Carter, Steve Rogers as Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor Ragnarok's Hela, Young Star-Lord and Ego, The Scarlet Witch, Mandarin, and more. The preview also showed Thanos fighting Captain America from Infinity War.
The last part of the preview takes place in the year 1602, which is a year longtime Marvel Comics fans will remember. Marvel 1602 was a 2003 eight-issue miniseries penned by Neil Gaiman. The story follows Marvel superheroes that exist in the Elizabethan era, including Nick Fury, X-Men, the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Doctor Doom, and more.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
News from Comic-Con. Will update this as more info is posted-

Season 2 premieres in early 2023.

Episodes include a Hela story, Odin vs the Mandarin, Captain Carter meets Winter Soldier, and Iron Man on Sakaar with Valyrie & Hulk. I think this last one is the episode they cut from the 1st season.

Season 3 is in the works!

EDIT:
IGN also reports-
Sounds like they're keeping things crazy and unpredictable...other than Iron Man on Sakaar since we've known about that for years :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts