Tom Ascheim to stay on after Warner-Discovery deal closes (UPDATE: Ascheim laid off.)

Corwin Haught

The combination of WarnerMedia and Discovery will close tomorrow, and Tom Ascheim will stay on as President of the Global Kids, Young Adults, and Classics division, reporting to Discovery executive Kathleen Finch, who will be the head of a US Network group with oversight of over 40 networks. (Ann Sarnoff is leaving.)

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
AW COME ON!!!!!

We're just getting started with Redraw Your World and Tom Aschiem's tenure started out really good.

Now, thanks to the merger, all of the promising efforts of Tom's tenure was thrown out the garbage and was short-lived for 2 years.

I'm upset! :crying:

im upset.PNG

Goodbye, Tom Aschiem. We'll deeply miss you.:(

Corwin Haught

Nope.

It looks like Cartoon Network Studios and Williams Street are moving over with WB Animation to the WB Television group while CN, Boomerang and Adult Swim will stay at the new domestic Networks group. The concept of a "President of Cartoon Network", as it has historically been constituted, has been abolished.

R Lopez

The concept of a "President of Cartoon Network", as it has historically been constituted, has been abolished.
I think you're right.

The days of Cartoon Network having "exclusive" executives with green-light power are over. Now, things are only going to happen on Cartoon Network if the people overseeing kids programming on HBO Max want them to happen.

In other words, Cartoon Network might no longer be able to call its own shots.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
The concept of a "President of Cartoon Network", as it has historically been constituted, has been abolished.
Yeah, for 30 years, it's crazy.

The days of Cartoon Network having "exclusive" executives with green-light power are over. Now, things are only going to happen on Cartoon Network if the people overseeing kids programming on HBO Max want them to happen.

Yeah, and I find that very concerning to me.

R Lopez

Someone needs to make a list of all the series/specials that Cartoon Network announced during the last two years. (Some live-action projects were announced as recently as this morning.) How many of those have actually premiered or are close to premiering? Might "Unicorn: Warriors Eternal" be the only one?

What I'm getting at is, I think the Ascheim era will be remembered for a lot of things that didn't actually appear during the Ascheim era. And might never appear.

Last edited:

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I think you're right.

Oooh, there's gonna be some dark times ahead.

CN's fate, in the hands of the Discovery people. That's going suck something fierce.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Funny you say that. They did announce two new live-action specials for Cartoon Network/HBO Max this morning.

Press Release: HBO Max and Cartoon Network Greenlight Two Original Specials Based on the Beloved Mattel American Girl Franchise | Pressroom
Yeah, I know that, but I'm saying that in terms of CN managing their network as WBD treat CN no differently as other Discovery networks.

Okay, the CN Real comparison is a bit of a over-exaggeration on my part, but it did concerns me that Tom Aschiem is now gone.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I was hoping the Discovery people were going to stay the heck away from the entertainment portion of this merger, and honestly I'd be more hopeful if it wasn't just the Warner appointed people who were getting the boot. Discovery hasn't had the greatest track record with kids' entertainment.

However, I'd like to think that even Discovery isn't stupid enough to squander what they have at their disposal. I hope they at least leave the shows that Ascheim greenlit on the ticket and don't let the CN and WB projects falter under their watch. We'll just have to wait and see what WBD's exact plans are at the Upfront. I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic, but my bar is set very low.

Otakuninja2006

This is a damned shame......

The one chance CN had, they done eff'ed it up...

Seriously, I'm furious...

Now they're about to kill CN just like they did to the Hub....

I would say more, but that'd get me in trouble around here..

And CN just got their own studio robbed from them..

THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE DOING AND THEY DONT EVEN GIVE A CRAP!

I knew something was fishy when they chose Zucker as president...

I don't see Cartoon Network/Adult Swim being here by 2025.....

It's AOLTimeWarner all over again....

Everyone, I suggest you start a boycott against Warner Bros. Discovery if you actually care about Cartoon Network..

I'm done....

Might as well say it now to avoid the pressure:

R.I.P.
Cartoon Network
October 1, 1992 - May 12, 2022
You were once a great network, but robbed of your innocence when AOL merged with TimeWarner. Stuff was never the same again.
I'll miss you, you great checkerboard.
You have inspried me to want to get in the animation business, but no there's nowhere to go....
You have screwed up BIG TIME, Mr. Zucker.

hobbyfan

Oooh, there's gonna be some dark times ahead.

CN's fate, in the hands of the Discovery people. That's going suck something fierce.

Unless Discovery & Hasbro agree to move the Hasbro properties (i.e. My Little Pony) to CN/Boom and/or HBO Max. Then, maybe it's not so bad.

jokerbeans2091

This is a damned shame......

The one chance CN had, they done eff'ed it up...

Seriously, I'm furious...

Now they're about to kill CN just like they did to the Hub....

I would say more, but that'd get me in trouble around here..

And CN just got their own studio robbed from them..

THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE HELL THEY'RE DOING AND THEY DONT EVEN GIVE A CRAP!

I knew something was fishy when they chose Zucker as president...

I don't see Cartoon Network/Adult Swim being here by 2025.....

It's AOLTimeWarner all over again....

Everyone, I suggest you start a boycott against Warner Bros. Discovery if you actually care about Cartoon Network..

I'm done....

Might as well say it now to avoid the pressure:

R.I.P.
Cartoon Network
October 1, 1992 - May 12, 2022
You were once a great network, but robbed of your innocence when AOL merged with TimeWarner. Stuff was never the same again.
I'll miss you, you great checkerboard.
You have inspried me to want to get in the animation business, but no there's nowhere to go....
You have screwed up BIG TIME, Mr. Zucker.

Don’t be ignorant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts