So why exactly has The Loud House been in decline?

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
It seems like a good show, but people have been saying the recent seasons and the movie have been lackluster.

What exactly caused this to happen? It can't just be Chris Savino getting fired, can it?

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
When you get down do it, The Loud House is just a show about a boy with a big family. There are only so many variations that one can do with the premise in the course of a few years before you inevitably start repeating certain gags and stories.

Last edited:

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
When you get down do it, The Loud House is just a show about a boy with a big family. There are only so many variations that one can do with the premise in the course of a few years before you inevitably start repeating certain gags on stories.
While you make a good point, it should be easy to come up with new jokes and stories. These writers are smart people, after all.

ShadowBlinky

While you make a good point, it should be easy to come up with new jokes and stories. These writers are smart people, after all.
Even smart people have limits. And heaven knows its not always easy to come up with GOOD new jokes and stories.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
I watch the show every now and again, but to me it's like a non tasty beverage. It's definitely not objectively sweet or delicious, it's not necessarily horrible, it's just a drink....just like this show has become.

It lost the cartoony spunk that Season 1 had. The in-your-face philosophy that current Nickelodeon's known for ruined the nuance of the characters and writing. Season 1 wasn't perfect by any means (certain characters, especially with their catchphrases being said ad nauseum), but after that season it became really stale...even before Savino got fired. The live action movie, animated movie, The Casagrandes, etc...all were super lackluster to most fans. The voices for Lincoln after the first one never matched the character.

This is where Cartoon Network's Craig of the Creek comes in. The show is roughly two years younger yet has steadily increased the accolades over their approach to animated slice of life shows, just like how the Nick version of Doug has gotten over the years. Those shows were given room to breathe and not talk down to their audiences with overly predictable writing and stale storytelling. Out of the three shows I mentioned, this show has the most cartoony designs yet barely ever utilizes that cartoony side that Craig does.

I saw that Lori barely appears on the show since last season, but she isn't really appearing on The Casagrandes either. Some of the characters relationships get unnecessarily retconned for no reason. Most of the characters are just boring, dated, and repetitive, especially Lincoln and his friends.

I understand the show can't be the same as Season 1 but the show is objectively boring now.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
And Nickelodeon isn't doing anything to improve its quality because?
What are they supposed to do? The show has been running since 2016. When you're working on the same show for 5 years, there's bound to be some lulls now and again. And like I said before, TLH is just a slice-of-life show about a kid and his 10 sisters. How long can that premise stay fresh? Quality is in the eye of the beholder. Nickelodeon doesn't care as long as the show continues to put young butts into seats. As long as THL continues to bring in decent ratings, Nick won't let it die.

This is why I think that no scripted show should go beyond 3 or at the most 4 seasons without getting a reboot or revamp. Unpopular opinion as that may be.

Last edited:

LoudyKaizoku

Bread Makes You Fat?
What are they supposed to do? The show has been running since 2016. When you're working on the same show for 5 years, there's bound to be some lulls now and again. And like I said before, TLH is just a slice-of-life show about a kid and his 10 sisters. How long can that premise stay fresh? Quality is in the eye of the beholder. Nickelodeon doesn't care as long as the show continues to put young butts into seats. As long as THL continues to bring in decent ratings, Nick won't let it die.

This is why I think that no scripted show beyond 3 or at the most 4 seasons without getting a reboot or revamp. Unpopular opinion as that may be.
What are they supposed to do? Put money into making the show good. Make episodes with new scenarios. Paramount Global is a massive corporation after all. They could easily afford it.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
What are they supposed to do? Put money into making the show good. Make episodes with new scenarios. Paramount Global is a massive corporation after all. They could easily afford it.
You may want Nickelodeon to do that, but they don't need to by any means. The show has been running for 5 years. Nick could cancel The Loud House today and just air the reruns for the next 3-5 years. Nick knows that kids are going to keep watching the show, no matter what. And how are we defining "good" here? By whose standards?

Personally, I'd rather Nickelodeon put some money into some new and original animated series than continue to squeeze milk from the same 2 cash cows (those being The Loud House and SpongeBob Squarepants).

Last edited:

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
I watch the show every now and again, but to me it's like a non tasty beverage. It's definitely not objectively sweet or delicious, it's not necessarily horrible, it's just a drink....just like this show has become.

It lost the cartoony spunk that Season 1 had. The in-your-face philosophy that current Nickelodeon's known for ruined the nuance of the characters and writing. Season 1 wasn't perfect by any means (certain characters, especially with their catchphrases being said ad nauseum), but after that season it became really stale...even before Savino got fired. The live action movie, animated movie, The Casagrandes, etc...all were super lackluster to most fans. The voices for Lincoln after the first one never matched the character.

This is where Cartoon Network's Craig of the Creek comes in. The show is roughly two years younger yet has steadily increased the accolades over their approach to animated slice of life shows, just like how the Nick version of Doug has gotten over the years. Those shows were given room to breathe and not talk down to their audiences with overly predictable writing and stale storytelling. Out of the three shows I mentioned, this show has the most cartoony designs yet barely ever utilizes that cartoony side that Craig does.

I saw that Lori barely appears on the show since last season, but she isn't really appearing on The Casagrandes either. Some of the characters relationships get unnecessarily retconned for no reason. Most of the characters are just boring, dated, and repetitive, especially Lincoln and his friends.

I understand the show can't be the same as Season 1 but the show is objectively boring now.

^^This.^^

I just plain lost interest in The Loud House after a couple of seasons; it seemed like they did all of the good, funny ideas they could do with this premise pretty early on. Then it just started to drag.

When the producers launched The Casagrandes and then started pulling stunts like aging everyone up a year, having Lori move out and start focusing stories on the kids' friends at school and whatnot, it just came off to me that the idea well was starting to run dry; now it just seems like every other generic slice-of-life kids' cartoon. TLH does well enough for Nick to keep pumping episodes out, but I simply lost interest in it. They just seem to be walking through the antics now.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
What exactly caused this to happen? It can't just be Chris Savino getting fired, can it?
No, that's a whole different can of worms. Let's not get into that.

To answer your question. The reason why Loud House has been in decline is because of the bad writing and flawed characterization. Even the concept itself cannot even expand upon since you can run the concept for so long before it become stale, like @Goldstar Neo said.

With me, I used to like Loud House, but now, I can't stand it because it really tainted for me (I stopped watching the show after Season 2 (for obvious reasons)), and from what I've heard of the later seasons and other Loud House projects, the show has officially warned out its welcome.

Then again, as long the target demographic still watched it, Nick doesn't mind keeping it around.

JTZ

Fan of the show speaking here, so maybe not 100% objective, but personally, I think the whole decline thing is blown up. The peak of the show was season 3, and while the show doesn't reach heights as regularly as it did back then, lot of great episodes still come out of it. I admit season 6 has issues, but going into detail about what still works, what parts of the premise have been overdone and what needs to be improved would go too much into detail.

The issue here is more that the dedicated part of the fanbase, the ones whoe post fanart, are active on twitter, go crazy whenever a new episode airs and stuff is relatively small comapred to plot- and action-driven shows like the current big Disney shows. That's why people get the impression the show is declining when the truth is, that part of the fanbase never really was that big. I've been in the fandom since 2016 and it was always pretty slow and quiet.

Looney Turtles

Fan of the show speaking here, so maybe not 100% objective, but personally, I think the whole decline thing is blown up. The peak of the show was season 3, and while the show doesn't reach heights as regularly as it did back then, lot of great episodes still come out of it. I admit season 6 has issues, but going into detail about what still works, what parts of the premise have been overdone and what needs to be improved would go too much into detail.

The issue here is more that the dedicated part of the fanbase, the ones whoe post fanart, are active on twitter, go crazy whenever a new episode airs and stuff is relatively small comapred to plot- and action-driven shows like the current big Disney shows. That's why people get the impression the show is declining when the truth is, that part of the fanbase never really was that big. I've been in the fandom since 2016 and it was always pretty slow and quiet.
I'm going to have to agree that Season 3 is the best season. It felt like a good middle ground between the "early installment weirdness" and the changes that the later seasons bring. With that being side, I enjoy everything from Season 2 to Season 5, outside a few episodes like the infamous "No Such Luck." Season 1 and 6 are my least favorites, so far.

I don't think Season 1 would be looked at as fondly if it wasn't the first season. It really wasn't that great, in my opinion.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I'm odd on the show, because I liked Season 5, it did feel fresh to me, and I felt part of 3 and all of 4 was just mostly a slog with a few episodes I did like. I don't mind them trying more plots for Lincoln with his friends, I do wish they would give them more development. "Zach Attack" was one of the most episodes I saw in a long time, and "Cow Pie Kid" was good. I would like more of that too Sister and Lincoln friend interaction. I will add the movie really didn't work for me, I did like the live-action one though. I still am a fan of the show, as well but I don't want it to keep running and running and running either. I don't think it's declining, a lot of it is tastes changing and people moving on, or not happy they aren't getting what they want from the show and getting away from it, which is fine really.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts