A Timeline of the Tom Ascheim Era

R Lopez

Let's reflect on the Tom Ascheim era with this timeline I put together. I tried to only include major premieres; I didn't include any of the many series that were merely announced.

Jul:
Tom Ascheim's time overseeing Cartoon Network (and Adult Swim and Boomerang) begins.

Feb:
The “Redraw Your World” on-air branding is introduced.

Mar: Elliott from Earth premieres; the series was greenlit in 2018.

Jun: The Fungies! becomes the first HBO Max original series to air on Cartoon Network; other HBO Max series to appear on Cartoon Network are Looney Tunes Cartoons, Tig n’ Seek, and Jellystone!

Sep: Cartoonito, a preschool block, premieres on Cartoon Network and HBO Max. ACME Night, a family co-viewing block, premieres.

Nov: Harry Potter: Hogwarts Tournament of Houses, a live-action quiz show, is the network’s most-watched premiere of the year—Ascheim’s only full year at the helm. The series was shared with TBS and HBO Max.

Jan:
We Baby Bears premieres.

May: Tom Ascheim’s exit is announced.

Thoughts?

Action!

I think he did a good job with the network. Like I said earlier, I think the network is moving in the right direction

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I think he did a good job with the network. Like I said earlier, I think the network is moving in the right direction
it won't move in the right direction for long. Kathleen Finch will just scrap the stuff he greenlit!

Moe

We have to wait and see about what Kathleen Finch is doing with CN, so no need to jump the conclusion until she make a significant change.

If she doesn't help, so Discovery could sack her.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
it won't move in the right direction for long. Kathleen Finch will just scrap the stuff he greenlit!

You're making some major mental gymnatics. Think of all the DC stuff like the new Batman and Superman animated shows that were greenlit long before this merger. Do you think that will go over well? What about Unicorn: Warriors Eternal or the huge slate of CN/HBO Max originals that were announced last year? That's not all going away in a fell swoop. Making such drastic moves could seriously put her career at risk.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You're making some major mental gymnatics. Think of all the DC stuff like the new Batman and Superman animated shows that were greenlit long before this merger. Do you think that will go over well? What about Unicorn: Warriors Eternal or the huge slate of CN/HBO Max originals that were announced last year? That's not all going away in a fell swoop. Making such drastic moves could seriously put her career at risk.
I've noticed many people who post on the internet believe network presidents contain as low an attention span and as stormy of a temperament as they do. Network presidents are extremely risk averse. Even the bad ones don't simply upset the applecart as their opening move.

R Lopez

It's going to be interesting to see which projects make it to the finish line, and which projects are quietly cancelled. It's been awhile since we've gotten updates on previously-announced titles like "Gross Girls" and "Family Mash-Up."

Last edited:

flashfunk03

It's going to be interesting to see which projects make it to the finish line, and which projects are quietly cancelled. It's been awhile since we've gotten updates on previously-announced titles like "Gross Girls" and "Family Mash-Up."
I think Unicorn Warriors Eternal, Tiny Toons Looniversity, the DC stuff and the recently greenlit shows by Sam Register will stay since they’re in post production. However, I do think the shows like Gross Girls, Jade Armor and Charlotte’s Web might be canned.

flaboyblast

Jade Armor is an acquired series. It's probably more up to CN Europe's decision on whether the series should be canceled rather than actual success in the US, where I don't think it will be much advertised or part of the brand, as has happened with other ordered for CN Europe productions like Grizzy and the Lemmings, Angelo Rules and My Knight and Me.

R Lopez

I think Unicorn Warriors Eternal, Tiny Toons Looniversity, the DC stuff and the recently greenlit shows by Sam Register will stay since they’re in post production. However, I do think the shows like Gross Girls, Jade Armor and Charlotte’s Web might be canned.
In general I think shows with classic characters have a good shot at happening.

Markus Nelis

Woohoo. My message got deleted. So I have to repeat myself. Tom really helped the network get life again. 2018-early 2020 were boring years with limited amount of programming blocks, schedule changes rarely and not that many shows premiered. ACME Night, Cartoonito, rebrand are the first things that come to mind about this current positive state. Wishing Tom luck in the future.

ToonsJazzLover

Ascheim was the reason why CN’s live feed became alive again after stagnation. It’s a shame that he was let go so soon, but I hope Ouwleen does a good job.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
If he had some longer plan (3-5 years) he didn't get to do it, but he did put in place some of it probably. Cartoonito and RDYW are both great.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
We have to wait and see about what Kathleen Finch is doing with CN, so no need to jump the conclusion until she make a significant change.

If she doesn't help, so Discovery could sack her.
Well, Michael Ouwleen is back as Cartoon Network president, given that he was the interim president after Christina Miller's depature in January 2020 and before Ascheim's appointment six months later.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Let's reflect on the Tom Ascheim era with this timeline I put together. I tried to only include major premieres; I didn't include any of the many series that were merely announced.

Jul:
Tom Ascheim's time overseeing Cartoon Network (and Adult Swim and Boomerang) begins.

Feb:
The “Redraw Your World” on-air branding is introduced.

Mar: Elliott from Earth premieres; the series was greenlit in 2018.

Jun: The Fungies! becomes the first HBO Max original series to air on Cartoon Network; other HBO Max series to appear on Cartoon Network are Looney Tunes Cartoons, Tig n’ Seek, and Jellystone!

Sep: Cartoonito, a preschool block, premieres on Cartoon Network and HBO Max. ACME Night, a family co-viewing block, premieres.

Nov: Harry Potter: Hogwarts Tournament of Houses, a live-action quiz show, is the network’s most-watched premiere of the year—Ascheim’s only full year at the helm. The series was shared with TBS and HBO Max.

Jan:
We Baby Bears premieres.

May: Tom Ascheim’s exit is announced.

Thoughts?
2023:
January, April, and August: Multiple Ascheim shows debut internationally, no US dates in sight.
March: Cartoonito reduced to 7:30am-9:00am, Scooby-Doo and the Mystery Pups cancelled, block becomes wasted potential
April:
September: ACME Night probably going to turn into an Adult Swim block :sad:

Markus Nelis

Cartoonito and ACME Night are in danger. Two programming blocks that Tom added are close to being doomed. ACME Night should still exist, just name it ACME Movies. CN will stiil air movies at 3p on Sundays.

Such a shame Oweleen's team puts effort to AS more. Not saying AS is bad but just give CN some life. The way CN has promos on air is extremely low. I literally only see one promo. CN airs some random clips during breaks now. He could do better with CN if he wanted to.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts