Could Mattel Television Do More Adult Animation?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
When it comes to Mattel Television, they're mainly known for their family friendly works that hit different age groups. Notable examples include Barbie, Monster High, Hot Wheels, Polly Pocket, DC Superhero Girls, and He Man, amongst many other projects. To my knowledge, Masters Of The Universe: Revelation is the first time the company has done adult animation. Granted, the show is made in collaboration with Powerhouse Animation, who are known for adult action shows, but still. It made me wonder if they would ever make more adult animation. Mattel is known for being family friendly, so they may not do this too much. Still, it's interesting to think about.

The Overlord

When it comes to Mattel Television, they're mainly known for their family friendly works that hit different age groups. Notable examples include Barbie, Monster High, Hot Wheels, Polly Pocket, DC Superhero Girls, and He Man, amongst many other projects. To my knowledge, Masters Of The Universe: Revelation is the first time the company has done adult animation. Granted, the show is made in collaboration with Powerhouse Animation, who are known for adult action shows, but still. It made me wonder if they would ever make more adult animation. Mattel is known for being family friendly, so they may not do this too much. Still, it's interesting to think about.

1. Mattel is a toy company, the purpose of any media they make is to sell toys and the kid's toy market is bigger than the adult collector market.

2. Outside of Masters of the Universe, what franchises do they own that would even work as adult animation? An adult version of Barbie would be ridiculous. Mighty Max was dark for a 90s kids show, but I think if it was a full adult animated series it would be in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Outside of Masters of the Universe, what franchises do they own that would even work as adult animation? An adult version of Barbie would be ridiculous. Mighty Max was dark for a 90s kids show, but I think if it was a full adult animated series it would be in the wrong direction.
That is a good point. He Man does seem like that's the only franchise that could get an adult reimagining and interpretation. Besides the whole thing about Mattel being more about selling toys to kids, there's also the matter of the protagonists of their franchises. Especially in the case of the 2010s onwards, Mattel has usually had kids or teenagers of various ages be the protagonists of their shows. The age down effect is also fairly common, like how most newer audiences would be more familiar with Barbie being a teenager, or like how the 2021 He Man revival that targets adults keeps He Man an adult, but the family friendly CGI reboot that came out the same year ages him and many characters down.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
LOL - Yeah. NOT without the right writers hired on, of course. Otherwise, I'mma have to stay ignorant of these potential "adult-aimed" shows you all crave so much, due to them likely not being worth my time like some exec might otherwise think, honestly.

And I'm down with more adult-aimed animation in general, but without a writing staff and show handlers that actually respect their audience, I would just focus on the next adaptation of Polly Pocket or something - making that actually a hit worth raving about. Well, rather the current show, which has a barley noticeable fanbase, for example.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts