Cartoon Network's (Upcoming) 30th Anniversary

Toonhead2002Ultra

honestly i just wish they would get rid of [adult swim]'s friday night slot again
That would be cool, I even have it that way on my own fantasy schedules, but not super realistic. Ratings are better for AS than for Cartoon Network nowadays so I think WBD might see that as a bad idea. Heck towards the end of CN's all night Fridays era they wasted the late hour timeslots by mostly airing stuff that aired earlier that night; you could see this by looking at most 2006 CN schedules. They should have used that time to air older or more obscure CN shows that weren't on the schedule normally to begin with. Maybe a better solution modernly would be to have AS start later on Fridays, like having the handover be 9 on Monday-Thursday, and then have it at 10 on Friday for an example. You could also cut down on some of the Fox shows that night. Those are just some of my ideas though.

AnimatedFan01

Important question: Do you think there's a chance that, if they do a marathon of their library in October, they'll air Squirrel Boy in honor of Everett Peck and make a bumper dedicated to him?

Peck is the first known Cartoon Network creator to die within the network's 30-year history, so it would seem disrespectful not to acknowledge him.

Now it would seem abrupt for them to air a 16-year-old show that only lasted one year and two seasons with 26 episodes (with a total of 52 segments) and hasn't been seen since 2009, and they didn't even air it (alongside several other short-lived CN originals) for their 20th anniversary during 2012 nor within the Cartoon Planet revival lineup, however since it would be for a special occasion and to show honor and respect to their first creator to pass, it definitely wouldn't be out of place.

Plus, Andy and Rodney did at least appear in the 20th anniversary video/poster and the latter made a cameo alongside several other CN characters in the OK KO! crossover.
Nobody has answered my important question yet. :(

Toonhead2002Ultra

Nobody has answered my important question yet. :(
I'll answer... they might air Squirrel Boy if they do an anniversary marathon, but for the dedication bump... probably not. CN typically doesn't do any tributes like that except for examples like William Hannah or Chuck Jones over two decades ago, and Squirrel Boy is considered by most animation fans to be one of Cartoon Network's worst original shows, so Peck's impact on the channel wasn't very prolific, unlike the late great Stephan Hillenburg's impact on Nickelodeon when he created Spongebob for example.

AnimatedFan01

Peck's impact on the channel wasn't very prolific, unlike the late great Stephan Hillenburg's impact on Nickelodeon when he created Spongebob for example.
But Peck will go down in history as the first Cartoon Network original creator to have died. There's no way they could ignore him in their history rundown.

Toonhead2002Ultra

But Peck will go down in history as the first Cartoon Network original creator to have died. There's no way they could ignore him in their history rundown.
I suppose, but that's assuming CN will do a super in depth history rundown, creators and all, and I honestly don't have a ton of faith that they'd do that given their recent schedules unfortunately. It would be a nice touch though.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
Sure they can, Cartoon Network has largely ignored Squirrel Boy ever since it ended, and it's had virtually no impact on the channel's history. Everett Peck is beloved primarily for Duckman, but his loss wouldn't be comparable to CN the same way Tartakovsky or McCracken's would be.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer

I suppose, but that's assuming CN will do a super in depth history rundown, creators and all, and I honestly don't have a ton of faith that they'd do that given their recent schedules unfortunately. It would be a nice touch though.

Sure they can, Cartoon Network has largely ignored Squirrel Boy ever since it ended, and it's had virtually no impact on the channel's history. Everett Peck is beloved primarily for Duckman, but his loss wouldn't be comparable to CN the same way Tartakovsky or McCracken's would be.

This, Squirrel Boy is one of Cartoon Network’s least popular shows therefore don’t appreciate Everett Peck much. Cartoon Network seems to appreciate C.H. Greenblatt a lot more (unlike Nick in comparison) and Chowder also didn’t have a huge impact but has a bigger cult status that and has been given very brief reruns. I also don’t think Cartoon Network would ever celebrate Ben Jones (The Problem Solverz).

chocolate

Mentally Still in 2016
I believe Cartoon Network should go big with their 30th around the corner. Like those iconic 20th anniversary bumpers in 2012. They should also acknowledge every creator from past to present, even if the show was forgotten or horrid.

I am hyped for the 30th anniversary. I hope CN acknowledges ALL of its shows even if they are forgotten or not appreciated by animation fans. Regarding Squirrel Boy, I guess I am the only one to say this out in the open, but I enjoy this cartoon, and I was bummed the day Everett Peck passed away. I couldn't believe it because I was just watching it earlier that day. So it would be nice for CN to acknowledge and give appreciation to Squirrel Boy (and yeah that's the first CN original creator to pass on, which totally stinks). Anyways, I hope for a hip-and-happening event this October. I will definitely "toon in".

AnimatedFan01

Regarding Squirrel Boy, I guess I am the only one to say this out in the open, but I enjoy this cartoon, and I was bummed the day Everett Peck passed away. I couldn't believe it because I was just watching it earlier that day. So it would be nice for CN to acknowledge and give appreciation to Squirrel Boy (and yeah that's the first CN original creator to pass on, which totally stinks). Anyways, I hope for a hip-and-happening event this October. I will definitely "toon in".
You're not alone. I very much like the show too. Welcome to the club.

ATSFGuy

You're not alone. I very much like the show too. Welcome to the club.
That would be cool, I even have it that way on my own fantasy schedules, but not super realistic. Ratings are better for AS than for Cartoon Network nowadays so I think WBD might see that as a bad idea. Heck towards the end of CN's all night Fridays era they wasted the late hour timeslots by mostly airing stuff that aired earlier that night; you could see this by looking at most 2006 CN schedules. They should have used that time to air older or more obscure CN shows that weren't on the schedule normally to begin with. Maybe a better solution modernly would be to have AS start later on Fridays, like having the handover be 9 on Monday-Thursday, and then have it at 10 on Friday for an example. You could also cut down on some of the Fox shows that night. Those are just some of my ideas though.
Originally it was Cartoon Cartoon Fridays from June 1999 - September 2003. From September 2003 to February/March 2007 it was renamed Fridays. Tommy Snider and Nzinga Blake hosted from 2003-2004, then Tara Sand replaced Nzinga from 2005-2007.

BlooMac

CN has revealed the logo for its 30th anniversary.

Meh, looks pretty bland and contemporary. They should have gone with the 2010 checkerboard logo (like they did for their 20th anniversary) or any checkerboard logo for that matter.

Moe

H-B characters ask CN to not abandon nor forgot about them.

CN was basically re-run channel 24/7 when launched in 1992.

ATSFGuy

H-B characters ask CN to not abandon nor forgot about them.

CN was basically re-run channel 24/7 when launched in 1992.
Shows were broadcasted in hour long or half hour packages.

This type of scheduling was pretty common in the late 90’s to about 2007/2008. There were plenty of shows/blocks to choose from. The Cartoon Cartoon Fridays Block, Toonami, and
Adult Swim.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts