-"Call (LOCAL NUMBER)."

-"See more for details."

-"Many will enter, few will win."

-"Get your parents' permission and go to (website)."

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
"Toys do not actually walk and talk"

"Game cards do not actually talk"

(I was like, "Well,duh" when I saw these)

NixcoBox12

Also known as pizzabob, also a dubbing archiver
UK adverts, so I have to tell you the companies, for the international people out there
"Simples!" - Compare the Market (insurance company)
"When'sa your Dolmio Day?" - Dolmio (sells Italian sauces)
"Every Little Helps" - Tesco (grocery store, like Walmart in the US)
"Confused.com!" - Confused.com (another insurance company)
"Oh yes" - Churchill (insurance company, again)
"GO COMPARE!" Go Compare (Jesus Christ another insurance company? also those adverts are proper annoying)
"Hey, let's play!" - Smyths (toy store)
"If I were a Toy" - Smyths (again)
"Have you have your Weetabix?" - Weetabix (cereal)
yeah that’s about it

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
UK adverts, so I have to tell you the companies, for the international people out there
"Simples!" - Compare the Market (insurance company)
"When'sa your Dolmio Day?" - Dolmio (sells Italian sauces)
"Every Little Helps" - Tesco (grocery store, like Walmart in the US)
"Confused.com!" - Confused.com (another insurance company)
"Oh yes" - Churchill (insurance company, again)
"GO COMPARE!" Go Compare (Jesus Christ another insurance company? also those adverts are proper annoying)
"Hey, let's play!" - Smyths (toy store)
"If I were a Toy" - Smyths (again)
"Have you have your Weetabix?" - Weetabix (cereal)
yeah that’s about it
When the MTV channels here were the British feeds (until 2014), I recall seeing the Tesco and Go Compare commercials among others

There was also "CompareTheMeerkat.com, CompareTheMarket.com"

NixcoBox12

Also known as pizzabob, also a dubbing archiver
When the MTV channels here were the British feeds (until 2014), I recall seeing the Tesco and Go Compare commercials among others

There was also "CompareTheMeerkat.com, CompareTheMarket.com"
Ok, also that Compare the Market "slogan" isn’t really a slogan in the same way as the Simples!
never knew that for a while Portugal's MTV was the UK feed with the British ads!

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Ok, also that Compare the Market "slogan" isn’t really a slogan in the same way as the Simples!
never knew that for a while Portugal's MTV was the UK feed with the British ads!
Not MTV, it was localized. I meant MTV Two/Rocks, MTV Dance etc. Then in 2014 they got pan-European feeds in place of the British ones here.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
When I was a kid my TV told me that the worst problem adults could possibly face was "ring around the collar". Never heard of it? Of course not. Because it's stupid. I can't tell if the people who were selling that detergent were dumb enough to believe that. Or if society itself was. Let it be shown for the record this is not a "problem" that has gone away in the intervening decades, It's just that are no longer stupid enough as a society to believe that it actually matters.

AnimatedFan01

I have a question about the "Get your parents' permission" one: Did that phrase only begin to be said in website-related commercials once COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which regulates the rule that children under 13 cannot be on websites that collect data from users, and is often disrcredited with the objective of preventing children from access to age-inappropriate material) was enacted in 2000? Not too many websites I know of were popular in the late 90s, though Nick.com existed.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I have a question about the "Get your parents' permission" one: Did that phrase only begin to be said in website-related commercials once COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, which regulates the rule that children under 13 cannot be on websites that collect data from users, and is often disrcredited with the objective of preventing children from access to age-inappropriate material) was enacted in 2000? Not too many websites I know of were popular in the late 90s, though Nick.com existed.
That also used to be used for 1-900 numbers back in the 1990's.

Yes, people actually called those. If you want proof that popular culture was NOT markedly better in the 1980's and 1990's than it was today, remember that 1-900 numbers used to exist, and back then they weren't just for perverts. Anybody who liked wasting a lot of money quickly for no gain had a more immediate outlet with those than with lottery tickets. They were like if lottery tickets cost four dollars a minute instead of a buck once, and never, EVER paid off.

Dantheman

That also used to be used for 1-900 numbers back in the 1990's.

Yes, people actually called those. If you want proof that popular culture was NOT markedly better in the 1980's and 1990's than it was today, remember that 1-900 numbers used to exist, and back then they weren't just for perverts. Anybody who liked wasting a lot of money quickly for no gain had a more immediate outlet with those than with lottery tickets. They were like if lottery tickets cost four dollars a minute instead of a buck once, and never, EVER paid off.

I remember my brother called those, and without my parents' permission, I might add. They were not happy when the phone bill arrived, to say the least.

They had all kinds of 1-900 numbers for kids to call. Call Hulk Hogan! Call Santa Claus! Call Freddy Krueger! Call He-Man! ( I remember that one, because it was like in late '87-'88, and Masters of the Universe was pretty much dead or in hiberation at the time, and seeing toys of the movie characters like Gwildor and Blade made me like, "Huh, so they did make toys of those guys").

I think the FTC, aided by parents' groups, were encourged to go after 1-900 numbers, and that's why they went away.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I remember my brother called those, and without my parents' permission, I might add. They were not happy when the phone bill arrived, to say the least.

They had all kinds of 1-900 numbers for kids to call. Call Hulk Hogan! Call Santa Claus! Call Freddy Krueger! Call He-Man! ( I remember that one, because it was like in late '87-'88, and Masters of the Universe was pretty much dead or in hiberation at the time, and seeing toys of the movie characters like Gwildor and Blade made me like, "Huh, so they did make toys of those guys").

I think the FTC, aided by parents' groups, were encourged to go after 1-900 numbers, and that's why they went away.
The DVD sets of Twin Peaks contained all of the hotline messages. The irony is, back in the 1990's dummies were spending the exact same amount of money on that stupid hotline as they would have for an entire set of the actual damn series decades later. And the hotline messages were also essentially included in the sets for free. And you could listen to them as many times as you liked.

Twin Peaks was one of the smartest shows on TV back then, but the truth is many of its fans were not very sensible.

Dantheman

Around the time of the release of The Empire Strikes Back, Lucasfilm set up a number where you could call Darth Vader to get a message about the movie, actually voiced by James Earl Jones. Like anything else Star Wars-related, the recordings ended up on the Internet years later, thought I think the official Star Wars website was the first to put them up.

Just shows you, if you wait, anything can be had for free or really cheap.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Around the time of the release of The Empire Strikes Back, Lucasfilm set up a number where you could call Darth Vader to get a message about the movie, actually voiced by James Earl Jones. Like anything else Star Wars-related, the recordings ended up on the Internet years later, thought I think the official Star Wars website was the first to put them up.

Just shows you, if you wait, anything can be had for free or really cheap.
This is either off-topic or actually more on-topic than anything else. I've been rereading some of my posts for the past couple of days and most of them seem to be complaints about either the screwed up values of the younger generation, or the piss-poor quality of the entertainment of MY generation. I've basically turned into the site's resident old crank. When did that happen?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts