Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

The Overlord

I like the fact that Encanto didn't have a villain. People were mad about that and I'm like "You are mad a movie is unique among all Disney movies and tried for something different?" Weird thing to complain about if you ask me.

Also Mirabelle's parents and family are all alive and well. How great is that for Disney?

I will tell you why I disliked Enchanto for not having a villain but was fine with Turning Red or Inside Out not having a villain. In Disney movies with musical numbers, the villain usually gets the best song, so doing a musical without a villain, usually leaves a giant hole where the villain's song goes. The songs in Enchanto are okay, but I really love a great villain song. The fact that Disney really lacks big charismatic villains who do songs has been an issue in recent Disney films.

flaboyblast

There was a villain song in the film - " We Don't Talk About Bruno". Think about it. It describes the whole problem that the family is unwittingly about to dump on Mirabelle later in the film: they accuse her of breaking the illusion that everything is perfect.

The twist of the movie isn't that it doesn't have the typical Howard Ashman structure for a Disney musical: we have the song that introduces the world the protagonist lives in, we have the "I want to..." song, and always the third or fourth song in this structure is the antagonist's (which almost always outside of movies like Mulan, is also the villain) song, which, in this case, is " We Don't Talk About Bruno."

But the family isn't evil, even though they're the antagonists, like in some other Disney movies (Tangled and Cinderella come to mind), which to me is a nice element to subvert and make Encanto an even more standout movie than a fair amount of other Disney flicks.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
There was a villain song in the film - " We Don't Talk About Bruno". Think about it. It describes the whole problem that the family is unwittingly about to dump on Mirabelle later in the film: they accuse her of breaking the illusion that everything is perfect.

The twist of the movie isn't that it doesn't have the typical Howard Ashman structure for a Disney musical: we have the song that introduces the world the protagonist lives in, we have the "I want to..." song, and always the third or fourth song in this structure is the antagonist's (which almost always outside of movies like Mulan, is also the villain) song, which, in this case, is " We Don't Talk About Bruno."

But the family isn't evil, even though they're the antagonists, like in some other Disney movies (Tangled and Cinderella come to mind), which to me is a nice element to subvert and make Encanto an even more standout movie than a fair amount of other Disney flicks.

The Bruno song is definitely the villain song. And Bruno's reality subverts those expectations.

I will tell you why I disliked Enchanto for not having a villain but was fine with Turning Red or Inside Out not having a villain. In Disney movies with musical numbers, the villain usually gets the best song, so doing a musical without a villain, usually leaves a giant hole where the villain's song goes. The songs in Enchanto are okay, but I really love a great villain song. The fact that Disney really lacks big charismatic villains who do songs has been an issue in recent Disney films.
Aside from the Bruno song being a villain song as noted by @flaboyblast , this argument doesn't hold water simply because Encanto has the best Disney Soundtrack since The Hunchback Of Notre Dame. Yes, it's been that long since we've had one that great.

The Overlord

The Bruno song is definitely the villain song. And Bruno's reality subverts those expectations.

Aside from the Bruno song being a villain song as noted by @flaboyblast , this argument doesn't hold water simply because Encanto has the best Disney Soundtrack since The Hunchback Of Notre Dame. Yes, it's been that long since we've had one that great.

The Bruno Song is not a villain song, because is the song is sung about him, not by him, that is "The Villain Sucks Song":

A villain song not only displays the villain's motives, but also a villain's charsma. The Bruno Song doesn't do that. Not only does the Bruno Song not measure up to classic Villain Song, it doesn't measure up to the villain sucks song like the Cruella song from the 1961.

I like the first song from Enchanto, but I think the other songs are really forgettable. I think the songs paper over a thin plot, where the Character vs. Themselves is based on a plot twist that comes at the end of Act 3, that doesn't have a good build up.

That being said this is why art subjective, I can actually see why people like Encanto, it being to my tastes doesn't make it bad, it simply means I did not like it due to my tastes. I like the first song and not the others, someone can love the entire soundtrack, I thought the Chatacter vs. Themselves plot was underdeveloped, someone else could find it compelling.

There is no right or wrong answer with Encanto, but it is divisive enough to be contentious.

Pooky

Staff member
Yet another unconventional or unpopular opinion.

I haven't seen Encanto, but (as I think I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread) Lin-Manuel Miranda is a composer you either "get" or you don't. I don't get it. I've listened to a couple of the big songs from Encanto. Still not getting it.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
I haven't seen Encanto, but (as I think I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread) Lin-Manuel Miranda is a composer you either "get" or you don't. I don't get it. I've listened to a couple of the big songs from Encanto. Still not getting it.
For me, I generally like his Disney soundtracks, but his Broadway ventures leave me cold. I think Hamilton is the cheesiest thing on earth, and In the Heights is dull as dishwater. I can't say that love every song on Moana or Encanto, but they both have more songs than resonate with me than anything else he's done. That may also be because those movies have less rap verses than his Broadway shows, which I really think he's not good at doing at all.

I know some people don't like Miranda for adding himself into big projects that he has little reason to, but I don't really understand or care about that point. If I earned my roses with my previous work, hell yes, sign me up for some of my favorite works. His Dark Materials, DuckTales, The Little Mermaid, why not?

user313856

I know that Antz was an idea stolen from Disney and Pixar by Jeffrey Katzenberg. Nevertheless, the film Antz we ended up with is not a mere clone of Pixar's. It has its very strong, unique identity and characters that really set it apart from A Bug's Life. The similarities don't really go much beyond "both films have ants as the character, and the main protagonist feels out of place and misunderstood", with the latter being just a very common trope in animation in general anyway.

Both films are different experiences worthy watching. I grew up far more with A Bug's Life, but I now wonder if Antz isn't actually a film I will prefer, with a more ambitious plot at least. I really need to rewatch both films.

KeldeoKitty

Slacker Musketeer
I’m not much of a book person, I prefer shows and movies. Even so I highly recommend animation fans especially those disappointed or bored with the industry to check out comics and graphic novels as a supplementary hobby to animation. This is because comics and graphic novels are basically the same as animated cartoons only in print form, there is a lot of graphic novels of many genres and most of them don’t get adapted to animation. Some like Bone and Wings of Fire (The one I wanted the most) were cancelled so you are stuck with only the books. I’m not just referring to comics that get published and sold, I also count webcomics usually done independently. Also those who want to work in the animation industry should consider the comic/graphic novel industry as an impulse option.

Dantheman

Gee, I never thought about that...
I don't know if it's much of an unpopular opinion, but more a stray thought: You think schools that banned Bart Simpson T-shirts in the early '90s didn't think much in the 2000s/2010s when students showed up to class wearing Simpsons shirts, like that Sopranos parody one?

SpaceCowboy

I don't know if it's much of an unpopular opinion, but more a stray thought: You think schools that banned Bart Simpson T-shirts in the early '90s didn't think much in the 2000s/2010s when students showed up to class wearing Simpsons shirts, like that Sopranos parody one?
Different era. The T-shirts in the early '90s also had writings like "Underachiever. And proud of it!" with Bart aiming a slingshot, which some schoolboards took as causing disruption in the classroom. This article goes into the mentality of the time: The Great Bart Simpson T-Shirt School Ban of 1990

By the 2000s/2010s, animation was no longer thought of as strickly a children's medium and The Sopranos parody T-shirt may have not been exclusively targeted to the same age group.

Last edited:

LinusFan303

Squeak
I feel like Disney should do animated remakes of their live-action films as a reversal of their constant remaking their animated films in live-action form.
I'd love an animated Freaky Friday movie, my favorite version from 1976, has an animated intro, so it would be cool to have an animated edition. Fully animated Pete's Dragon could work too.

Zorak Masaki

Truthfully, I've always found that idea quaint. It's such a mild show and it always has been.
You have to consider the time. There were almost no adult cartoons around at the time. The few that were around were Ralph Bakshi's cartoons (cult classics at best, even in 1990). Some anime had a teen/adult following but it was limited to tape trading or expensive one-episode vhs releases advertised mainly in hobby magazines. There was nothing like it in the mainstream (we wouldnt get another major adult cartoon until 1993 with Beavis and Butthead), so it garnered controversy for that. As for the whole "dysfunctional family" aspect, while there were shows like Married with Children and Roseanne, they werent aimed at family audiences for the most part, they were deconstructions for people sick of traditional sitcoms (and Roseanne was more about a struggling family trying to make ends meet, something the Simpsons used to do as well).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts