"Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" Season 1 Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I hope this series will last long enough to build up to the events of TOS.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I hope this series will last long enough to build up to the events of TOS.
Not me. It should keep its distance from established canon. That's what messed up Discovery so much. I don't want the show running any longer than five years. Keep the timeline as separate as possible. Don't add new things to an existing canon. Detail parts of the old canon we simply haven't seen yet.

For the record, this show's version of Christine Chapel pisses me off on every level. They need to knock crap like that off. Now.

the greenman

Not me. It should keep its distance from established canon. That's what messed up Discovery so much. I don't want the show running any longer than five years. Keep the timeline as separate as possible. Don't add new things to an existing canon. Detail parts of the old canon we simply haven't seen yet.

For the record, this show's version of Christine Chapel pisses me off on every level. They need to knock crap like that off. Now.
Yeah, I don't like the idea of them making this series a backdoor pilot for Kirk's OT reboot. I didn't mind U'Hura at first, but then we keep getting callbacks to Spock & Chapel. Dr. M'Benga essentially is a diversity casting. Which this series is guilty. Then they have the nerve to kill the one major original character this show gave us. I would be irate had this series not been so good.
d2a9190f182381c61c43d61126dcdcf5.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

the greenman

You do realise that he's actually a pre-existing character, right? He first appeared in The Original Series episode "A Private Little War", played by Booker Bradshaw.
7/19: I know full well. He was in a few eps. I just think they dropped Dr. Boyce for PC reasons. I think that relationship was probably too close to Kirk & Bones. So not a massive argument for me.

9/23: A Quality of Mercy"

Apologies, as I am late on this one. Well, this one I had already been spoiled on before seeing the episode. Though I waited until this past weekend to watch. The title of "Quality of Mercy" has been derived from a quote of Shakespeare (see attached). I'll get more into that later; but I spent time watching the different projects using this specific title, including the very play it derives from "The Merchant of Venice". If any of you are not aware of the play, it is a classic tale of Shakespeare about a few themes mostly revenge, justice, romance, and race relations. To name names of those using this same title; there was an episode of Twilight Zone starring Dean Stockwell (of Quantum Leap) and an episode of The Outer Limits remake starring ST:DS9 alum Nicole . So when you see those, on top of the classic Trek episode this episode was inspired by "Balance of Terror", you can see the resemblance of Portia's line from the play.

I enjoyed this, but the issue of Temporal Mechanics was always wonky. The problem I had with this episode, was not understanding why Pike used the Klingons "time travel". I realized I had to go and watch Discovery (something I really didn't want to).

You could still see semblances of racism (or the equivalent of species) directed at Spock. Probably not using the correct word, more like alien. I feel like this should have introduced Yeoman Janice Rand, making me a hypocrite cause I don't like all the Kirk Trek appearances anyway. The reason why Balance of Terror was her final appearance on that series, and this would've been a good way of not only introducing her, but giving her a tribute. As she died in 2015.
36993_poem_75.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts