When will Cartoon Network would do another block like Adult Swim?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
On 2.:
I may sound stupid, but maybe My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic can bridge the gap? (a show aimed at young girls who has a large male following). But I don't know yet if they want to put it on Cartoon Network though (Warner Bros. would have to talk to Hasbro)

Uh no offense but even if Friendship is Magic would be something Cartoon Network could air (which I really doubt as that will likely remain Discovery Family exclusive. The only reason that CN got Transformers Robots in disguise in 2015 was because at the time the Hub/Discovery feeling that was something that appealed more to boys then to girls and feeling CN had the better demographic on that which wouldn't ever be factors that would apply to this show) .... are you seriously suggesting Friendship Is Magic as a Middleground show? Aka a series with raunchier material then a standard kids cartoon but not raunchy enough for Adult Swim? IE NOT SOMETHING LIKE MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC WHICH IS SPECIFICALLY CREATED SO IT CAN BE WATCHED AND ENJOYED BY 2-4 YEAR OLD GIRLS!

Seriously FIM may have an audience of older male fans but it is still made and still edited so it can be watched by young little kids IE not something that woudl fit the description of a middleground series at all so yeah very bad example to use man.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
^^What he said.

Seriously @Sun Dash Note, I get that you really want My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to start airing on Cartoon Network for some reason, but the idea of that show being used as a bridge between CN and [adult swim] is straight-up silly.

Come on, read the room, man.

Last edited:

Sun Dash Note

A proud Brony! 20% cooler! Found out I'm Trans.
^^What he said.

Seriously @Sun Dash Note, I get that you really want My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to start airing on Cartoon Network for some reason, but the idea of that show being used as a bridge between CN and [adult swim] is straight-up silly.

Come on, read the room, man.
I understand that it sound silly (a men watching a little girl cartoon). However I think it could work.

Look, I get it. And I get that the show already ended, but maybe something will happen? (Hasbro, Warner Bros. Discovery business meeting regarding Discovery Family and stuff)

Moe

Newest CN block was Cartoonito, launched last year and it was Tom Ascheim's idea.

Sadly, he was laid off by Discovery.

As for next new block, it is very unlikely to see a new block after Cartoonito and future of CN is uncertain because of Discovery, so it means we have to wait and see about what's up with CN and Discovery.

Look, I get it. And I get that the show already ended, but maybe something will happen? (Hasbro, Warner Bros. Discovery business meeting regarding Discovery Family and stuff)
Hasbro is done with cable TV business as they are focusing on streaming service, so it is very unlikely to see Hasbro contents on CN.

Neo Ultra Mike

I understand that it sound silly (a men watching a little girl cartoon). However I think it could work.

Look, I get it.

No you DON'T get it. I'm not disparaging or looking down at grown men for watching MLP:FIM. Hell I'm 36 and I watched the first 8 seasons of the show (recently binged the 8th still need to finish 9) and there's a lot to enjoy about it and I get why there are bronies and why they were/are into the show.

What I am saying though is that throughout it's run though there are obviously jokes and references and bits aimed at an adults audience, there was never anything within the series itself that tried really "pushing the envelope" or being a series that had specifically harsh visuals or situations that you couldn't show like say 4 year old. When people bring up "middle ground" shows they bring up stuff where you could see the show itself having an edge that wouldn't be fully appropriate for a super young audience. Like say Regular Show for instance; THAT'S the kind of series people refer to more when they say middleground. Friendship is Magic is NOT that because the content of the show itself is always perfectly appropriate for little kids so yeah having it as a middle ground show doesn't make any sense thus why I'm calling you out for suggesting it.

Seriously man I hope NOW you get what I mean because it's clear you didn't before.

Sun Dash Note

Alright,
No you DON'T get it. I'm not disparaging or looking down at grown men for watching MLP:FIM. Hell I'm 36 and I watched the first 8 seasons of the show (recently binged the 8th still need to finish 9) and there's a lot to enjoy about it and I get why there are bronies and why they were/are into the show.

What I am saying though is that throughout it's run though there are obviously jokes and references and bits aimed at an adults audience, there was never anything within the series itself that tried really "pushing the envelope" or being a series that had specifically harsh visuals or situations that you couldn't show like say 4 year old. When people bring up "middle ground" shows they bring up stuff where you could see the show itself having an edge that wouldn't be fully appropriate for a super young audience. Like say Regular Show for instance; THAT'S the kind of series people refer to more when they say middleground. Friendship is Magic is NOT that because the content of the show itself is always perfectly appropriate for little kids so yeah having it as a middle ground show doesn't make any sense thus why I'm calling you out for suggesting it.

Seriously man I hope NOW you get what I mean because it's clear you didn't before.
Alright, I guess I should have used a better term than middleground then.

EDIT: What I meant by the term is basically kinda like "family entertainment" cartoon. I.e. anyone can watch it and like it regardless of gender or age. (I think that was Lauren Faust's idea)

Mod Note: Use the Edit button instead of quoting yourself. Double post merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Ultra Mike

EDIT: What I meant by the term is basically kinda like "family entertainment" cartoon. I.e. anyone can watch it and like it regardless of gender or age. (I think that was Lauren Faust's idea)

Yeah but that's not the POINT of this thread. As said by tony6 when he started this thread

Adult Swim has given Robot Chicken, The Venture Bros., Aqua Teen Hunter Force and many others. It also gave reruns of Family Guy and the other shows I haven’t mentioned. A good idea is that Cartoon Network can do a block of shows that might be too raunchy for Cartoon Network and not that raunchy for Adult Swim. What do you think?

What he's asking for are series raunchier and slightly more adult then your standard say Cartoon Cartoon, but not strictly AS level shows. Which would be stuff like Regular Show or the 2008 Clone Wars series for example. He's not talking about shows that Anyone can watch and enjoy as honestly that is an entirely different kind of series not being discussed here so again, what you're thinking of is not what this particular thread is about. So yeah we get what you were trying to say Sun Dash Note... but it's wrong for this thread and unless you're going to talk about the kind of shows that are right for it, please go away.

More on topic I actually realized something; there actually IS a block on Cartoon Network meant to be more of an inbetween now for regular CN and AS, and that's Acme Night. I admit I haven't seen how much they re-edit these movies but they play a lot of PG-13 fare like Man of Steel, the Sam Ramni Spider man trilogy, Napoleon Dynamite among others and I have to assume they aren't going overboard with a G edit on them and allowing to show a bit more edge then regular CN would. Plus it also airs Bob's Burgers which is a show though not as edgy as Family Guy is more for adults or at least older kids then a standard CN show. Plus supposedly ACME Night is going to actually get it's own ORIGINAL content that seem like they are edged for more older kids. Genndy Tartakovsky's new series Unicorn: Warriors Eternal; The Gremlin Mowgli prequel series and even that Bruce Timm/Matt Reeves Batman series Batman Caped Crusader. So actually the answer to this original's thread question IS Acme Night. If that block can get more traction with original series that wind up doing well THAT is going to be the Middleground block CN has often tried for but never found a way to fully accomplish so let's hope for the best for that then shall we?

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I actually realized something; there actually IS a block on Cartoon Network meant to be more of an inbetween now for regular CN and AS, and that's Acme Night. I admit I haven't seen how much they re-edit these movies but they play a lot of PG-13 fare like Man of Steel, the Sam Ramni Spider man trilogy, Napoleon Dynamite among others and I have to assume they aren't going overboard with a G edit on them and allowing to show a bit more edge then regular CN would. Plus it also airs Bob's Burgers which is a show though not as edgy as Family Guy is more for adults or at least older kids then a standard CN show. Plus supposedly ACME Night is going to actually get it's own ORIGINAL content that seem like they are edged for more older kids. Genndy Tartakovsky's new series Unicorn: Warriors Eternal; The Gremlin Mowgli prequel series and even that Bruce Timm/Matt Reeves Batman series Batman Caped Crusader. So actually the answer to this original's thread question IS Acme Night. If that block can get more traction with original series that wind up doing well THAT is going to be the Middleground block CN has often tried for but never found a way to fully accomplish so let's hope for the best for that then shall we?
Yeah, at this stage something like ACME Night makes more sense than another block of shows when it comes to scratching that 'in-between' itch. Right now Cartoon Network only has 6 hours a day of actually being Cartoon Network, what with Cartoonito gobbling up one end of the daily schedule and [adult swim] gnawing at the other. Unless the Powers That Be decide to revise things, there currently isn't enough room on CN's schedule for another programming block.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
If it were up to me, I would push Adult Swim back to 10PM and have this hypothetical "in-between" block run from either 8PM to 10PM or 9PM to 10PM. There's no justifiable reason why an adults only block should start at an early evening prime time slot. A program block that functions as a medium between CN and AS might not be a bad idea, but presently there's no room on CN's schedule for another block. As @Neo Ultra Mike and @Silverstar have already said: unless the folks in charge are willing to shave off an hour or two of Cartoonito and/or push Adult Swim back an hour or two, there's no room on CN's schedule for an additional program block.

Last edited:

Sun Dash Note

Yeah but that's not the POINT of this thread. As said by tony6 when he started this thread

What he's asking for are series raunchier and slightly more adult then your standard say Cartoon Cartoon, but not strictly AS level shows. Which would be stuff like Regular Show or the 2008 Clone Wars series for example. He's not talking about shows that Anyone can watch and enjoy as honestly that is an entirely different kind of series not being discussed here so again, what you're thinking of is not what this particular thread is about. So yeah we get what you were trying to say Sun Dash Note... but it's wrong for this thread and unless you're going to talk about the kind of shows that are right for it, please go away.

More on topic I actually realized something; there actually IS a block on Cartoon Network meant to be more of an inbetween now for regular CN and AS, and that's Acme Night. I admit I haven't seen how much they re-edit these movies but they play a lot of PG-13 fare like Man of Steel, the Sam Ramni Spider man trilogy, Napoleon Dynamite among others and I have to assume they aren't going overboard with a G edit on them and allowing to show a bit more edge then regular CN would. Plus it also airs Bob's Burgers which is a show though not as edgy as Family Guy is more for adults or at least older kids then a standard CN show. Plus supposedly ACME Night is going to actually get it's own ORIGINAL content that seem like they are edged for more older kids. Genndy Tartakovsky's new series Unicorn: Warriors Eternal; The Gremlin Mowgli prequel series and even that Bruce Timm/Matt Reeves Batman series Batman Caped Crusader. So actually the answer to this original's thread question IS Acme Night. If that block can get more traction with original series that wind up doing well THAT is going to be the Middleground block CN has often tried for but never found a way to fully accomplish so let's hope for the best for that then shall we?
Alright, I cringe at my past threads right now, I clearly didn't get it and paid attention to your post. Maybe it will on Cartoon Network as a way to boost G5 and then air G5, but that's up to Hasbro and WBD. Yea, it's not a best example to use, sorry. I should have paid attention and actually use my brain.

Zorak Masaki

While MLP wouldnt work as an in-between show, there are a couple of Hasbro shows (in the unlikely event they could get them) that could work, and those would be Transformers: Prime and GI Joe: Renegades. Both have enough darker elements and mature storytelling for the older crowd , but are still appropriate for younger audiences. That said, it might be kind of jarring going from those shows into Adult Swim since the weekday and Sunday block are all comedy.

Sun Dash Note

While MLP wouldnt work as an in-between show, there are a couple of Hasbro shows (in the unlikely event they could get them) that could work, and those would be Transformers: Prime and GI Joe: Renegades. Both have enough darker elements and mature storytelling for the older crowd , but are still appropriate for younger audiences. That said, it might be kind of jarring going from those shows into Adult Swim since the weekday and Sunday block are all comedy.
I guess MLP would be more fitting for the main Cartoon Network than for the Adult Swim block.

Markus Nelis

AS is popular. They obviously never do as big of a block like Adult Swim. CN seems happy with AS. There isn't a need for another block. We obviously have Cartoonito for preschoolers, CN for big kids and AS for teens and adults. They're in a perfect spot.

And I hate to break it to you, these days they won't put efforts on programming blocks due to a continous decline of cable TV. Hard to accept it but the channels get more and more autopilot when years go by. You can see how CN is running right now.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts