WarnerMedia sold to Discovery Networks, renamed Warner Bros. Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
In a recent video from The Roundtable, a deleted tweet from an anonymous someone who works in the cartoon industry said that he "heard more than a few people forecast that Cartoon Network will not exist as a brand by the end of the year and all just get downsized and rolled under the Warner Bros. Animation umbrella."

Does this mean that Warner Bros. Discovery plans to shut down Cartoon Network, killing off all the planned projects for it?
It's a Twitter rumor so it's worth less than a penny... since there's nothing to back it up.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Someone on Reddit told me that a person in the cartoon industry said that Cartoon Network will be replaced by a 24/7 Adult Swim channel after this year. What the heck?

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Someone on Reddit told me that a person in the cartoon industry said that Cartoon Network will be replaced by a 24/7 Adult Swim channel after this year. What the heck?
That's definitely not going to happen. You need to stop believing everything that you hear from random people on social media sites. You're basically saying "I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy". Come on, man. Did you even check to see if there was a credible source cited? Does this person in the cartoon industry have a name? How do you know that he works in the animation industry? What's his official job title? Does he have any credentials, or are you just going by his word alone?

I'm sorry if I came off as a but harsh just then, but people are genuinely upset about these recent developments, and spreading false information isn't helping in the slightest. If you can't prove that something is true, then you shouldn't say it.

Last edited:

lowell

You got to back it up with a credible source from somewhere.

This tweet talked about how Zaslav greenlighted Wise Guys:

But it came from this article:

Moe

i’d rather have AOL in charge of warner bros than discovery at this point as i said before HBO MAX was the only thing giving netflix a run for their money oh how naïve i was. if AT&T never brought time warner none of this would be happening time warner was doing just fine!
Better to go back to 1990s - it was greatest decade for WB/Turner.

all the cuts should be coming from the discovery side no one cares for discovery.
Good one!!! *applause*

I would can TLC very hard until nothing to left.

i doubt it if anything discovery family should die. Discovery sabotaging Warner bros so they can do focus on their assets is ridiculous.
That!!!

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
all the cuts should be coming from the discovery side no one cares for discovery. well i’m not trying to harsh but mergers always have pros and cons.
There's nothing to cut at Discovery, before buying Warner it had low debt, low overhead, valuable. Their shows really don't cost that much. HGTV is the most watched not Sports/news channel TLC, Discovery Channel, Investigation Discovery, were in the top 20 most watched cable networks in primetime. For all day HGTV is the most watched non news/sports network (3rd over all) I don't know why they bought the Warner dumpster fire... they were doing good without it. Oh no! You cut House Hunters... a) those fans get mean b) you saved like $50,000 an episode (congrats!) cut Naked and Afraid you saved $20,000 an episode.

They honestly might be doing the sports thing of tanking the whole thing, to declare chapter 11 bankruptcy to get out of the debt. All the stuff happening might be some lawyers and finance guys telling them how they can do it to then later enter chapter 11. They can even blame a recession or something...
they can even blame the past 2 years and say ... "The movie industry has been hurt by the pandemic and that has cost us and made it hard for debt pay down, we have cut assets allowable and did layoffs, and the mounting inflation has made it harder for our consumers as they have to about their spending, that has made it harder for our profits and has impacted our growth, we will emerge from bankruptcy a new lean mean Warner Discovery"

This is not even my endorsement, that's just something that could happen.

Beast of Beef

I don’t think discovery should have bought Warner. Their strategy worked with unscripted content, because that content was a lot more disposable. That is not the case for scripted. Also, outside of TruTV, Warner doesn’t really have a relationship with unscripted, which makes it even worse. I think at&t should have spun Warner off into, I don’t know, Apple? Amazon? Maybe a smaller company like AMC Networks? Lionsgate? MGM (pre Amazon)? Amblin? ViacomCBS (now paramount)? And maybe discovery should have went with Universal, considering they have a lot of unscripted ventures.

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I don’t think discovery should have bought Warner. Their strategy worked with unscripted content, because that content was a lot more disposable. That is not the case for scripted. Also, outside of TruTV, Warner doesn’t really have a relationship with unscripted, which makes it even worse. I think at&t should have spun Warner off into, I don’t know, Apple? Amazon? Maybe a smaller company like AMC Networks? Lionsgate? MGM (pre Amazon)? Amblin? ViacomCBS (now paramount)? And maybe discovery should have went with Universal, considering they have a lot of unscripted ventures.
If anything, I would rather have Warner Bros bought MGM (before Amazon) than freaking Discovery any day. That could've easily save their shields in the end, but no....

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
There's no one I can think of that really could have bought it, wholesale, because the Phone Company wanted the debt to be gone too they sold Warner to lessen their debt problem, and shoved the debt to someone else. Apple doesn't need a studio, their streaming strategy seems to be a less is more approach instead of just making everything they make what they feel is more quality than quantity. Amazon bought MGM because it was clean it had no other attachments to it just a studio. Viacom and Comcast, I'd hope the government would yell at them and say no, because Anti-Trust laws should be used on that. Rupert Murdoch wanted Warner in 2014, but not now, he got to laugh all the way to the bank when he sold his headache to Disney and Comcast (Sky) and now just has the bare assets he wants.

ToonsJazzLover

If there’s one thing I learned from this merger is that I won’t be touching a Discovery network any time soon (even the Food Network and Science Channel, the only channels from them I could stand since Network Decay took a toll on most of their channels). I was never big on unscripted content to begin with.

Low Spark of Lyman

Y’know, I think the poor guy's screwy.
Is this merger the reason why Science Channel had a ad for Game of Thrones in the corner of How It’s Made this morning (my dad was watching it)? It seemed surreal.
I remember hearing an ad (from the kitchen) for Tuca and Bertie on what I'm pretty sure was HGTV (a channel my mom sometimes has on). Plus a House of the Dragon (I think) ad during one show on there (like you said, in the corner). Both of those occurrences were recent.

harry580

I wonder if someone set up a campaign to save Warner bros discovery & fire David zaslav like how roy e Disney set up savedisney & they got Michael eisner fired

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
My hopes for the best possible outcome for Warner Bros. Discovery:

1. Zaslav messes things up so badly for WBD that the studio's shareholders relieve him from his position and replace him with someone who isn't a massive tool who'll work to undo the damage that Zaslav has done.

2. Someone else buys Warner Bros. from Discovery and AT&T. Preferably before the studio's image isn't too badly tainted.

Ironically, Disney almost purchased WB in 2015. It didn't happen because AT&T intervened. I have mixed feelings about that.; I don't want Warner Bros. to be owned by Disney, but I do want WB to be owned by someone who will treat the studio and it's properties well. Someone who cares about the studio and will do entertaining and well made things with it.

Last edited:

harry580

I guess pioneer or amazon could do the trick

I mean, pioneer had a relationship with Warner bros in the 1970s & Warner music Japan used to be joint owned by Warner bros & pioneer until Warner bros bought pioneer stake & they launch laserdisc corp together (until pioneer bought Warner bros stake & rename it pioneer entertainment then sold it to dentsu & renamed to geneon entertainment, then to nbcuniversal & renamed geneon universal & to nbcuniversal entertainment Japan) while amazon already owned mgm and that's one asset Warner bros wanted to own since the buyout turner which owned the pre 1986 library

Last edited:

Moe

1. Zaslav messes things up so badly for WBD that the studio's shareholders relieve him from his position and replace him with someone who isn't a massive tool.

2. Someone else buys Warner Bros. from Discovery and AT&T. Preferably before the studio's image isn't too badly tainted.

Ironically, Disney almost purchased WB in 2015. It didn't happen because AT&T intervened. I have mixed feelings about that.; I don't want Warner Bros. to be owned by Disney, but I do want WB to be owned by someone who will treat the studio and it's properties well. Someone who cares about the studio and will do entertaining and well made things with it.
What about Boomerang as one button for HBO Max app like you said last year?

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster

1. Zaslav messes things up so badly for WBD that the studio's shareholders relieve him from his position and replace him with someone who isn't a massive tool.

I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up (including my own), but the buzz is that Zaslav's jackassery is not only landing WBD into legal hot water under Federal Anti-Trust Merger Enforcement Laws since most of the stuff he's been canceling has 'coincidentally' been created by and/or starring women and POC and he's been firing POC left and right, replacing them with older white business dudes (not trying to get political but it's true) plus this guy's dirty doings are burning A LOT of bridges in the entertainment industry. A lot a lot. (People are already starting to call Zaslav "the most hated man in Hollywood"). If this is true then it's indeed possible that this scumbag could get the boot before this merger becomes concrete, preferably within the next six months so WB will have time to undo all or most of the damage he's doing. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts