Nintendo's next console

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
What do you think Nintendo's next console after the Switch would be like? What features and innovations do you think it should have?

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
It should just be a refinement of the Switch with more horsepower. There's very little you can't do with the Switch in terms of game development, except for VR. So just focus on making the internals more modern and powerful.

Reactions: SNS

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
It should just be a refinement of the Switch with more horsepower. There's very little you can't do with the Switch in terms of game development, except for VR. So just focus on making the internals more modern and powerful.
Yeah, maybe have it be more like the "New" Nintendo 3DS. I was also thinking of having this ""New" Nintendo Switch" have a second screen accessory (or gimmick) that also allows the console to play DS and 3DS games.

Asa

I think we might get a Switch Pro in the future (it could be backward compatible with a lot of the original Switch library, including the NSO content, plus save data transfer from the original Switch console to the pro model), but I don't think we'll expect another console to deliver until sometime around the end of the decade, since the Switch has been selling like hotcakes.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I think we might get a Switch Pro in the future (it could be backward compatible with a lot of the original Switch library, including the NSO content, plus save data transfer from the original Switch console to the pro model), but I don't think we'll expect another console to deliver until sometime around the end of the decade, since the Switch has been selling like hotcakes.
Would this "Switch Pro" be like the "New" Nintendo 3DS, a revision of said handheld system?

Moe

Nintendo was about going to release Switch Pro last year, upgraded one, not next gen but scrapped because of CPU shortage and released OLED version with bigger screen and 2x flash memory.

I don't know if Nintendo is going to release a proper upgrade to Switch, not next gen one, but it is continue to have a heavy rumor on this.

Reactions: SNS

SNS

Yes, this is exactly what I want. A stronger system. It wouldn’t have to be that more powerful to receive all the latest games since for now the PS5 and Xbox Series X still haven’t taken off and so games continued to be made for PS4 and Xbox One and then porter to the newer systems.

It’s possible they can keep support for the Switch alongside the new system for a time with the new system being a more “premium” choice for consumers.

Nintendo was about going to release Switch Pro last year, upgraded one, not next gen but scrapped because of CPU shortage and released OLED version with bigger screen and 2x flash memory.

I don't know if Nintendo is going to release a proper upgrade to Switch, not next gen one, but it is continue to have a heavy rumor on this.

I thought as well that this was the case but on another boards people get angry with this suggestion.

Moe

I thought as well that this was the case but on another boards people get angry with this suggestion.
Interesting, I haven't see anyone got angry about Nintendo scrapped the true upgrade and Nintendo isn't going to disclose about what is wrong with their company.

Next-gen console is daunting and stressful task for Nintendo because they don't want to repeat the mistake with Wii U, so that why, they rather to invest in Switch family right now and move to next-gen console when time is right.

It took 2 years for SNES to released after Sega Genesis released in 1989 in NA.

SNS

There’s people on other boards that would basically accuse you of doing “damage control” for leakers if you suggest the OLED was made using components for a scrapped Pro. That the “leakers” talking about a Pro were just making things up.

Arachne

Honestly, my guess is Nintendo has put plans for a new console on hold. Between the chip shortage and pandemic both going on for years now, shipping and supplies for a new system could be a disaster. The Playstation 5 has been on the market for nearly two years, and yet it is still difficult to get a hold of one, and devs have no incentive to make things for it because so few people have it. It would be likely that a new Nintendo console launch could result in a very similar situation.

I'm currently happy with my Switch and new PC so I don't mind if the Switch has a longer lifespan.

Last edited:

Moe

Honestly, my guess is Nintendo has put plans for a new console on hold. Between the chip shortage and pandemic both going on for years now, shipping and supplies for a new system could be a disaster. The Playstation 5 has been on the market for nearly two years, and yet it is still difficult to get a hold of one, and devs have no incentive to make things for it because so few people have it. It would be likely that a new Nintendo console launch could result in a very similar situation.

I'm currently happy with my Switch and new PC so I don't mind if the Switch has a longer lifespan.
That why I'm not interested to get PS5 nor Xbox Series X/S.

I will get a new PC gaming laptop for Christmas to replace my 7 years old PC rig that CPU no longer to handle with ray tracing enabled games anymore. There is reason that I went with laptop because I would have to travel to Vegas frequently since my sister got military order to Las Vegas.

As for me - PC and Switch.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member

The pandemic also caused game delays that are still being keenly felt. Splatoon 3 only came out a couple months ago, and the BOTW sequel is only coming out the next year.

The Mario Kart DLC is probably them buying some time as cheaply as possible, since it's going until the end of next year.

Action!

I don't think a new console is coming anytime soon. Probably 2025 at the earliest

Moe

I'm going to wait until Nintendo announces on new console and I don't trust the rumors.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts