Bob Iger back as Disney CEO; Bob Chapek out

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
There's a rumor going around that Bob Iger may be planning to sell Disney to Apple after 2 years.

If this is true, I wonder that would mean for Apple TV+? Would that service then be bundled with D+? Things that make you go "Hmmm...."
I mean, I do know that Steve Jobs did have a good relationship with Disney before, but I cannot imagine Disney being selling off to Apple. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
I mean, I do know that Steve Jobs did have a good relationship with Disney before, but I cannot imagine Disney being selling off to Apple. I don't know, maybe it's just me.
It sounds wacky to me also, but until recently, I didn't think that Discovery was big enough to buy Warner Brothers, but this is still being listed as a rumor, so we should take this "news" with a grain of salt.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
There's a rumor going around that Bob Iger may be planning to sell Disney to Apple after 2 years.

If this is true, I wonder that would mean for Apple TV+? Would that service then be bundled with D+? Things that make you go "Hmmm...."
Yeah, this rumour has been going around for a while and seems to bubble up every few years. It would be very doable for Apple, we're talking about a company worth more than $2 trillion. Whether or not they have any need to buy Disney is another story. The two companies are notoriously friendly with each other, almost bizarrely at times. This obviously goes back to the Steve Jobs connection. I guess we'll see, but I guess anything is possible.

As to your question: my guess would be that Apple TV+ and Disney+ would merge into one streaming service, but that's just one of many decisions that would need to be made.

harry580

I won't be spurred Disney says no to apple about that rumor, just like how Disney turned down the Comcast offer back in 2004

LinusFan303

Squeak
I won't be spurred Disney says no to apple about that rumor, just like how Disney turned down the Comcast offer back in 2004
I'd like to imagine that universe where Comcast bought Disney.

The Disney should be bought buy Apple thing is just one guy who apparently got attention of "The Wrap" that's where I saw an article it's like when one guy said Comcast should buy Warner Discovery. Hopefully, no one at Apple thinks that's a good idea or if anyone there suggests it seriously, that person would be asked to pack up his things and exit the building.

lowell

I'd like to imagine that universe where Comcast bought Disney.

The Disney should be bought buy Apple thing is just one guy who apparently got attention of "The Wrap" that's where I saw an article it's like when one guy said Comcast should buy Warner Discovery. Hopefully, no one at Apple thinks that's a good idea or if anyone there suggests it seriously, that person would be asked to pack up his things and exit the building.
Also, a lot of this is Wall Street analysts freely crafting these speculations.

It helps them sends stocks of companies up and down, whichever way they want because this is what they do to earn their income in the field of financial analysis.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
What I hope Iger being back will do is make Disney+ understand they could recoup a LOT of the huge amounts of money they are spending on high-end content if they sometimes broadcast that stuff on Disney owned channels (broadcasting Andor's first two episodes was a good start) or selling Blu-Rays of the original Star Wars, MCU, or Disney Studios movies and series. Can you believe their version of Hamilton isn't on Blu-Ray yet? They would make a mint!

I understand the logic of keeping things exclusive to the service so people who still want access to it have to stay subscribed. But it's not like all of the new, expensive programming the service is currently putting out doesn't already do that. They need to figure out a way to maximize their profits from original content that has been on the service for awhile.

Ace

Ace
I honestly wonder if these direct to streaming films actually make money.

Sure, you expect your lineup of content entice people to subscribe to the platform but that kind of thing happens with diminishing returns when there's more people already subscribed and there's more and more content being made versus the money that could be made in theatres.

TsWade2

Yeah, I don’t think that is going to happen, to be perfectly honest.

harry580

I sick & tired of these apple Disney rumors, sure, its because Steve Jobs relationship with Disney because Steve Jobs owned Pixar but there's no reason for apple buying Disney

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I don't know how much is going to change. Seems like Chapek was just carrying out the directive of his overlords, but made enemies by "saying the quiet part loud", Trump-style.

I will be shocked if Iger coming back results in a noticeable change to Disney's game plan, in other words.

Corwin Haught

I honestly wonder if these direct to streaming films actually make money.

Sure, you expect your lineup of content entice people to subscribe to the platform but that kind of thing happens with diminishing returns when there's more people already subscribed and there's more and more content being made versus the money that could be made in theatres.
The entire service isn't forecasted to be profitable until 2024, and the only ancillaries Disney has is rare airings of some of the them on ABC and their cable channels, so they're mostly not profitable yet.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
It’s been quite a while, and now that the old forum is back online, I just wanna say that, despite Bob Iger's return, things are not looking great for Disney as of now under his management. TSG Entertainment (20th Century Studios' financer) is suing Disney, Iger recently made comments that have riled up writers and actors as they are currently on strike, he's pondering at selling off linear TV assets, and Disney’s recent films at the box office aren’t doing so hot. He did recently bring back Tom Staggs and Kevin Mayer as consultants though. I also know that Iger’s contract as CEO has been extended to 2026, which gives him time to fix Disney, but I feel like he’ll be out sooner than that, given what’s going on right now.

harry580

It’s been quite a while, and now that the old forum is back online, I just wanna say that, despite Bob Iger's return, things are not looking great for Disney as of now under his management. TSG Entertainment (20th Century Studios' financer) is suing Disney, Iger recently made comments that have riled up writers and actors as they are currently on strike, he's pondering at selling off linear TV assets, and Disney’s recent films at the box office aren’t doing so hot. He did recently bring back Tom Staggs and Kevin Mayer as consultants though. I also know that Iger’s contract as CEO has been extended to 2026, which gives him time to fix Disney, but I feel like he’ll be out sooner than that, given what’s going on right now.
well, what about elemental, that film did turn around unexpectedly & become a box office hit after people expecting the film did flopped due to Spiderman: beyond the spiderverse

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
well, what about elemental, that film did turn around unexpectedly & become a box office hit after people expecting the film did flopped due to Spiderman: beyond the spiderverse
Elemental unexpectedly turned out well, but that's about it right now.

Also, this just in: Investors are suing Disney for misleading them about hiding streaming losses!

TsWade2

Well, Disney is not doing great right now, but I think Bob Iger is going to fix everything at Disney. But in the meantime, he has to deal with the writers and actors strike. I hope the Hollywood Strike ends soon.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Well, Disney is not doing great right now, but I think Bob Iger is going to fix everything at Disney. But in the meantime, he has to deal with the writers and actors strike. I hope the Hollywood Strike ends soon.
Sadly, I am rather on the side that wants to see Iger failing to fix Disney and everything of it. His strike-related comments are angering people, and so far, his second act at the Mouse House doesn't seem to be going great. The company's stocks are falling, Disney+ is losing subscribers, they're being hit by two lawsuits (one by TSG and one by investors), most of their recent films of this year aren't doing well at the box office (apart from the surprise turnaround of Elemental), and Iger recently said that the linear TV assets "aren't core to Disney", making it sound like he wants to sell them off. I doubt the company will reach their 2024 goals, along with having enough cash to get the rest of Hulu. There's even rumblings that a tech company, especially Apple, wants to buy Disney. D+ and Hulu have even cancelled some of their original shows and removed them (D+ has even opted not to go forward with the Spiderwick Chronicles TV show)! ESPN has also gotten into sports betting, which is gambling, something un-Disney. Yes, it is most likely that their upcoming animated feature, Wish, will be a box office hit, but will that money earned from the movie be enough to help the company? I'd rather see him leave sooner than 2026 as planned (maybe when the strikes end and the writers and actors get what they want), and let two new and better CEOs take charge of Disney, like Michael Eisner and Frank Wells back in the day. I apologize humbly for what I just told you, but that's the world for ya. The positive is that Disney has brought back Tom Staggs and Kevin Mayer as consultants.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts