"Looney Tunes Cartoons" News & Discussion Thread

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You know, I try to avoid complaining unnecessarily here, but I find it ironic in the extreme that another forum member once straight-up accused me of being president of the David Zaslav fan club when I'm always quick to point out his naked greed, short-sightedness and jackassery, meanwhile right here this other member keeps parroting "Leave Mr. Zaslav alone!" like the guy's his uncle or something. As the kids on the interwebz like to say, shaking my head.
I love complaining unnecessarily. Try it. You'll like it.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Before we get TOO off topic, you think it's possible that Warner Brothers for whatever reason wants to instead of releasing the short to Max is instead of thinking of releasing it theatrically in front of one of it's big major movies in December to celebrate the 100th anniversary? Since if they were waiting to release it front of say Wonka (as it'd make more sense then either Aquaman's sequel or the Color Purple remake) I'd get why it wasn't available to view now (that and there's this weird thing about not releasing these celebrated shorts out of festival for whatever reason this year. Like Sony still hasn't released that Spider Verse short yet for whatever reason) and why they're waiting to do it. Of course if that is the case that is something they should ANNOUNCE to try and draw hype for the short and maybe even the movie they'd attach to it so still bad on them not to release info on when it's coming out.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
That sounds right. People don't remember this, because WB did a total 180, but the original idea for Looney Tunes Cartoons was for them all to be seen in a variety of different places and platforms. Some on streaming, some before films, some of them on TV. If they actually saved a really well-regarded one for a theatrical release, well that was actually the original plan for the entire series before WB chickened out in the first place.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I don't know, but please don't blame David Zaslav for this.
So you're not gonna give out ANY reason as to why you defend Zaslav?

Okay, whatever. You do you.

Enjoy your special meetings with Zazzie! ;)

That sounds right. People don't remember this, because WB did a total 180, but the original idea for Looney Tunes Cartoons was for them all to be seen in a variety of different places and platforms. Some on streaming, some before films, some of them on TV. If they actually saved a really well-regarded one for a theatrical release, well that was actually the original plan for the entire series before WB chickened out in the first place.
Well, that's Warner Bros for ya! They always been so reactionary.

And yeah, I remember the original plan for Looney Tunes Cartoons was to be shown on different platforms since 2018-19. But I guess HBO Max came out, and WB was so desperately hard to push it and use LTC as their leverage. To be fair, it did worked....for a while, but later on, it sort of fizzled out.

Now, getting back on topic.

I actually do love and adore Looney Tunes Cartoons back when it first came out. It was basically the modern day version of the classic shorts, but done fresh and new. Was it perfect? No (I'm not too crazy about its gross out humor), but unlike other incarnations, at least it does capture what Looney Tunes is, both inside and out, and we finally got it. Say what you will about Peter Browngardt and his Cartoon Network projects like Uncle Grandpa (which I don't think it wasn't that bad), but when to Looney Tunes Cartoons, at least Browngardt actually know what he was doing. So you have to give him credit for that.

Now to be fair, I haven't seen the last half of shorts, including the holiday specials mostly because a) I have lost interest in HBO Max and canceled my subscription (and this pre-Discovery takeover BTW) and b) I have too busy personally and I didn't have enough time to watch them myself. But for what I remember, I did have a good time.

With that being said, I might be going on a tangent, but when I heard when Looney Tunes Cartoons first premiered, a lot of people dismissed it due to being wasn't as good as The Looney Tunes Show 2011. I honestly don't understand why since ironically TLTS was hated at the time due to being wasn't as good as the classic shorts and don't like the sitcom-y environment. Yet, we finally got something we want with LTC, people hated it. It's either the people in the cartoon community don't know what they want, or looking for things to complain. Either way, it's very stupid.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
To quote someone from Twitter, "they were considered too extreme for Max". Now Idk how much of this is true or not..

Okay how in the hell does anyone believe that? Max airs the Harley Quinn animated series without issue, how would a looney tunes short be too extreme? Hell how would a Looney Tunes short even be made to be that adult in this day and age? Yeah back in the day Looney Tunes were made more ironically enough for adults but once syndication made them common and shown for kids throughout the 80's even to now at best you get light PG looney tunes and yeah no way would that be too extreme for Max. i mean Max literally just got done with that Fionna and Cake series the TV-14 adventure time spinoff that actually does have I'm sure way more adult themes then Daffy in Wackyland would.

awinger24

Okay how in the hell does anyone believe that? Max airs the Harley Quinn animated series without issue, how would a looney tunes short be too extreme? Hell how would a Looney Tunes short even be made to be that adult in this day and age? Yeah back in the day Looney Tunes were made more ironically enough for adults but once syndication made them common and shown for kids throughout the 80's even to now at best you get light PG looney tunes and yeah no way would that be too extreme for Max. i mean Max literally just got done with that Fionna and Cake series the TV-14 adventure time spinoff that actually does have I'm sure way more adult themes then Daffy in Wackyland would.
It probably has to do with keeping the Looney Tunes under a kids and family brand.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Children & Family Emmy nominations for the show.

ANIMATED SPECIAL
Looney Tunes Cartoons: “Bugs Bunny’s Howl-O-Skreem Spooktacular” (HBO Max)

VOICE PERFORMANCE IN A CHILDREN’S OR YOUNG TEEN PROGRAM
Bob Bergen as Porky Pig, “Looney Tunes Cartoons” (HBO Max)

MUSIC DIRECTION AND COMPOSITION FOR AN ANIMATED PROGRAM
Looney Tunes Cartoons (Max)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts