Unconventional or unpopular opinions you have (re: animation)

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
This is something that it has bugging me for a long time (even as a kid).

I really hate the whole "make-up/break up" ordeal. I seen that cliché being played out in most animated shows and Disney and Nick sitcoms I've seen and it's getting to the point where it becomes annoying and unnecessary. It didn't feel all that genuine. They only add that just for the sake of drama and gaining ratings.

Also, the love triangle subplot is also garbage.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
This is something that it has bugging me for a long time (even as a kid).

I really hate the whole "make-up/break up" ordeal. I seen that cliché being played out in most animated shows and Disney and Nick sitcoms I've seen and it's getting to the point where it becomes annoying and unnecessary. It didn't feel all that genuine. They only add that just for the sake of drama and gaining ratings.

Also, the love triangle subplot is also garbage.
Co-signed. I prefer fictional romances to be low-key and drama-free. No muss, no fuss. A ton of drawn-out "Will they or won't they?" bull-jive drives me nuts, especially when it's drawn out over the course of several episodes.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Co-signed. I prefer fictional romances to be low-key and drama-free. No muss, no fuss. A ton of drawn-out "Will they or won't they?" bull-jive drives me nuts, especially when it's drawn out over the course of several episodes.
I agree 100%.

ThePharaohZ

Disney is putting all their eggs in one basket with CGI. I understand they want to keep up with the times but it's like they're forgetting their roots. I also find it funny how they're nostalgia pandering by remaking older films with live-action/CGI, but don't want to touch 2d animation for movies.

the greenman

I've always thought it was a love letter to Silver/Bronze Age DC comic books myself, but you're not wrong there, either.
I find Batman: The Brave and the Bold to be a worthy spiritual successor to the 1966 Batman TV series.
Absolutely agree on both notes. I honestly think it was in my top 10 series of that decade.

I hope this isn't too unpopular.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Disney is putting all their eggs in one basket with CGI. I understand they want to keep up with the times but it's like they're forgetting their roots. I also find it funny how they're nostalgia pandering by remaking older films with live-action/CGI, but don't want to touch 2d animation for movies.
No offense meant to you, but what you're saying ain't exactly unpopular nor unconventional in an opinion like you'd think. Most people hate or mainly refuse to ever touch these mostly live-action remakes. Simply because they're all mishandled, poorly executed, and badly written cash grabs, overall. In fact, fortunately enough, what I've described is the average consensus generally felt towards these, again, overall souless cash-grabs.

Last edited:

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
I'm not too concerned with Disney's remakes. I don't like them, but I see little reason to be irritated by them either. It's just a phase they go through from time-to-time, like in the late 90's when they remade a bunch of movies; The Parent Trap, The Incredible Journey (as Homeward Bound,) The Absent Minded Professor (as Flubber,) etc.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I'm not too concerned with Disney's remakes. I don't like them, but I see little reason to be irritated by them either. It's just a phase they go through from time-to-time, like in the late 90's when they remade a bunch of movies; The Parent Trap, The Incredible Journey (as Homeward Bound,) The Absent Minded Professor (as Flubber,) etc.
As well as all of those direct-to-video cheapquels they went through like Bambi 2, Jungle Book 2, Fox and the Hound 2, etc. Yeah, they were cheap, creatively bankrupt cash-grabs, but they were easy to ignore. I just never gave any of them my money or my eyeballs. I treat these live-action remakes the same way: I just don't give 'em space on my radar.

ThePharoahZ said:

As is often the case, the reasoning for this boils down to money. Disney's last 3 hand-drawn animated features: The Princess and the Frog, The Heffalump Movie and Mary Poppins Returns (a hybrid film with hand-drawn animated sequences) didn't set the world on fire the way the studio hoped, and the Suits in charge concluded that hand-drawn features don't perform as well, although in each individual case other factors were involved.

In fact, in the early days of Bob Iger's stint as CEO, there was consideration to make all of the in-house Disney features in 2D (hand-drawn animation) and the Pixar movies in 3D (CGI), but Iger stepped in and said "Nah, we're just going to use whichever medium makes us the most money", and there ya go.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It could be because I haven't seen much from the Strawberry Shortcake franchise, but I don't mind Lemon Meringue being made into more of a tomboy in the YouTube series Berry In The Big City. She does have a fun, sarcastic side with a dash of nutty inventor to boot.

Last edited:

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
It could be because I haven't much from the Strawberry Shortcake franchise, but I don't mind Lemon Meringue being made into more of a tomboy in the YouTube series Berry In The Big City. She does have a fun, sarcastic side with a dash of nutty inventor to boot.
The nutty inventor shtick has been done a couple of times before in the franchise, with Tea & Honey (Strawberry Shortcake in Big Apple City) and Ginger Snap (World of Strawberry Shortcake 2007(?) - also it's somewhat curious that this character was never used again, to my knowledge).

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I unironically and unapologetically enjoy Jellystone! and speaking as someone who is old enough to remember most of these Hanna-Barbera characters, I don't understand why the fact that this series exists is upsetting to some people. Your mileage may vary on the show itself; I'll admit that the show's art style and it's takes on some of it's characters aren't for everybody, but even if you don't care for Jellystone!, there's nothing about it for you to be angry about. People wanted Warner Bros. to start paying attention to H-B characters that aren't Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry or The Flintstones, then when WB finally does this, you're now mad? Why? The point of Jellystone is to introduce these old school H-B characters to a new generation of fans, and if the attention the show has been getting online is any indication, I think that it succeeded in this regard. Now kids will know who Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, Snagglepuss, etc. are and if they're curious, they research the characters' histories when they're older.

If you don't like Jellystone!, just don't watch it. It's very existence shouldn't make your blood boil. Let the kids have their show, already.

kirbygame

honestly, i'm glad that Nickelodeon no longer airs Miraculous.

mainly because i really don't like this show as much as others do. (i know the animation looks amazing but the characters/writing is where i have a problem with..)
and oh yeah, i also heard the later seasons (Season 3 and onwards) is where this show has gone downhill.

Cyrus the Great made analysis videos on this show and why it isn't great anymore after season 2.

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I unironically and unapologetically enjoy Jellystone! and speaking as someone who is old enough to remember most of these Hanna-Barbera characters, I don't understand why the fact that this series exists is upsetting to some people. Your mileage may vary on the show itself; I'll admit that the show's art style and it's takes on some of it's characters aren't for everybody, but even if you don't care for Jellystone!, there's nothing about it for you to be angry about. People wanted Warner Bros. to start paying attention to H-B characters that aren't Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry or The Flintstones, then when WB finally does this, you're now mad? Why? The point of Jellystone is to introduce these old school H-B characters to a new generation of fans, and if the attention the show has been getting online is any indication, I think that it succeeded in this regard. Now kids will know who Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, Snagglepuss, etc. are and if they're curious, they research the characters' histories when they're older.

If you don't like Jellystone!, just don't watch it. It's very existence shouldn't make your blood boil. Let the kids have their show, already.
As someone who didn't really care for Jellystone (I don't hate it thought), I do agree.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
People wanted Warner Bros. to start paying attention to H-B characters that aren't Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry or The Flintstones, then when WB finally does this, you're now mad? Why?

Here's what bugs me about this: for years, when all we were getting from WB Hanna-Barbera-wise were Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry DTVs, all I heard from people was "Why does Warner Bros. only make new stuff for Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo? Why don't they show the other HB characters some love??" Then they finally do and now these same jokers are saying "Why isn't Scooby-Doo on Jellystone? Where are Tom & Jerry? Where are the Flintstones?!" Geez, some people aren't happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Here's what bugs me about this: for years, when all we were getting from WB Hanna-Barbera-wise were Scooby-Doo and Tom & Jerry DTVs, all I heard from people was "Why does Warner Bros. only make new stuff for Tom & Jerry and Scooby-Doo? Why don't they show the other HB characters some love??" Then they finally do and now these same jokers are saying "Why isn't Scooby-Doo on Jellystone? Where are Tom & Jerry? Where are the Flintstones?!" Geez, some people aren't happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.
Man, hypocrisy from those idiots never cease to amazed me...

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now

Featured Posts