Would Sega want to return to making an actual new game console?

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Since Nintendo has adopted a blue ocean strategy, separating its Switch console from the competition hence why it is one console generation behind, would this give Sega the opportunity to get back in the game console race and make a new, actual game system, at least for the next (tenth) generation of systems?

Pooky

Staff member
It's unlikely. It would be expensive with little chance of success. The same three companies have totally dominated the home console market for more than two decades now.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
As much as I would love to see Sega make a comeback on making consoles, chances of that is relatively slim to none and it seems like they're more happier on doing video games than consoles. The closest on that you'll ever get to see new consoles from them is the dedicated consoles modeled on their iconic consoles that began with the Genesis Mini.

Last edited:

Pooky

Staff member
Maybe Sega's new console could be a less-expensive alternative to whatever Sony and Microsoft would plan for generation 10 and compete with Nintendo just like old times?

I just don't see how it could work out. They'd have to get a number of major companies on board with programming versions of their games for the new console to have a chance of even moderate success, and they probably wouldn't be able to release their own games on other platforms, which would severely restrict their sales. I think Sega are in a slightly precarious position at the moment given how they pulled out of the Arcade business last year, whereas Nintendo are thriving with the Switch, which is now their most successful home console, and third most successful portable console (likely to become second).

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I think Sega are in a slightly precarious position at the moment given how they pulled out of the Arcade business last year, whereas Nintendo are thriving with the Switch, which is now their most successful home console, and third most successful portable console (likely to become second).
They pulled out of the Arcade business? Isn’t that one of their specialties?

EDIT: I just found out on Sega Retro that both the home and arcade divisions of Sega remerged in 2020.

Last edited:

SNS

I saw a video recently about how all the Sega arcades in Akihabara were rebranded as "GiGO"

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I just don't see how it could work out. They'd have to get a number of major companies on board with programming versions of their games for the new console to have a chance of even moderate success, and they probably wouldn't be able to release their own games on other platforms, which would severely restrict their sales.
As much as I would love to see Sega make a comeback on making consoles, chances of that is relatively slim to none and it seems like they're more happier on doing video games than consoles. The closest on that you'll ever get to see new consoles from them is the dedicated consoles modeled on their iconic consoles that began with the Genesis Mini.
Maybe the new, actual Sega console could have an Intel-made CPU and an Nvidia-made GPU, allowing for home ports of Sega's post-2005 arcade games (in which Sega started using PC architecture for their arcade boards).

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
What could they possibly do to innovate on new consoles? Sony and Microsoft already push graphics to their limits, Nintendo comes up with new creative ways to play, and it's too late to enter the crowded VR headset market.

I don't see how Sega can stand out if they make a new console.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
What could they possibly do to innovate on new consoles? Sony and Microsoft already push graphics to their limits, Nintendo comes up with new creative ways to play, and it's too late to enter the crowded VR headset market.

I don't see how Sega can stand out if they make a new console.
A not-so-problematic Wii U, with a less bulky/heavy GamePad, and no Off TV Play mode?

Moe

No, not going to happen unless it is for nostalgia like Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, Saturn and Dreamcast.

If Sega gets in console business to match against Sony and MS, so it could be enough for MS to exit the console business due to fierce competition, also MS isn't popular in Europe and Japan.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
If Sega gets in console business to match against Sony and MS, so it could be enough for MS to exit the console business due to fierce competition, also MS isn't popular in Europe and Japan.
While you're correct about the Xbox being unpopular in Japan, it's still popular in Europe.

SNS

While you're correct about the Xbox being unpopular in Japan, it's still popular in Europe.

I heard that Xbox is riding in popularity in Japan, even beating PlayStation in sales some weeks. Although people say that is because of supply issues, it is nonetheless selling much better then Xbox One did before there.

Moe

I heard that Xbox is riding in popularity in Japan, even beating PlayStation in sales some weeks. Although people say that is because of supply issues, it is nonetheless selling much better then Xbox One did before there.
Limited supply forced Sony to allotted the PS5 to NA, Europe, Australia, China, Canada and other regions, so it means much less supply for Japanese market as XBOX became readily available for customers who want now, or more worse, soon rather than months to year for PS5.

I wanted to get PS5 but issue with supply, I have no plan to get PS5 after all, even XBOX too. I'm looking for new gaming PC laptop and would get it by Christmas.

I will continue to play Switch and PS4 for foreseeable future, even I play 3DS sometime.

CPU shortage sucks and Sony never deal with it before, so PS5 was their first time.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
That would be nice, but that's very unlikely as Sega raised the white flag on the console market a long time ago.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts