Hanshotfirst1138

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• Currently I am unemployed, so much of what I have learned is second hand regurgitation.

Viz Media has yet to release a fully unedited release of the comic in English. Some editions retain nudity, some others don't. Mister Popo's lips are always edited, nevertheless, and I seem to recall there being violence edits beginning with the Cell Games volumes.
    Currently I am unemployed, so much of what I have learned is second hand regurgitation.

Viz Media has yet to release a fully unedited release of the comic in English. Some editions retain nudity, some others don't. Mister Popo's lips are always edited, nevertheless, and I seem to recall there being violence edits beginning with the Cell Games volumes.
    Currently I am unemployed, so much of what I have learned is second hand regurgitation.

When Toei Animation and Pony Canyon created the Dragon Box masters they didn't full correct the colors, so some blues appear green.
    When Toei Animation and Pony Canyon created the Dragon Box masters they didn't full correct the colors, so some blues appear green.
    ...Toei Animation was the last of the studios to cease junking their cinetape masters. Because of the hundreds of episodes they put out a year it isn't too surprising that they would junk masters for a series pumping out fifty episodes a year, but it is a shame. There was a CD release called the Big Box that contained the original audio masters for Dragon Ball Z Episodes #229 and #237, so those can still be heard in a clean and official format. Fan recordings are higher quality because the original broadcast of each episode used the cinetape master.
    ...Toei Animation was the last of the studios to cease junking their cinetape masters. Because of the hundreds of episodes they put out a year it isn't too surprising that they would junk masters for a series pumping out fifty episodes a year, but it is a shame. There was a CD release called the Big Box that contained the original audio masters for Dragon Ball Z Episodes #229 and #237, so those can still be heard in a clean and official format. Fan recordings are higher quality because the original broadcast of each episode used the cinetape master.
    It was likely done on 16mm for cost and storage reasons. The films were done on 35mm (and have cleaner audio), but I've heard Gundam Wing was also done on 35mm (although those masters were trashed). Japan has high property rates so storing so much simply isn't financially responsible. Sailor Moon went against the grain t the time and released its series on home video so the original audio masters were kept. Continued...
    It was likely done on 16mm for cost and storage reasons. The films were done on 35mm (and have cleaner audio), but I've heard Gundam Wing was also done on 35mm (although those masters were trashed). Japan has high property rates so storing so much simply isn't financially responsible. Sailor Moon went against the grain t the time and released its series on home video so the original audio masters were kept. Continued...
    I should mention that while the Dragon Boxes use optical audio tracks instead of the original cinetape masters used for the original broadcast the audio is better than those of non-Dragon Box releases. Toei Animation and broadcast stations trashed the original cinetape masters, so optical is all that exists anymore. Dragon Ball GT has recently aired on Animax with the D2 audio masters, so apparently the higher-quality mono and stereo (for Episode #5-64) still exist. Toei Animation only used optical tracks for the Dragon Boxes, though.

Of course, nothing beats the original 1986-1997 VHS/Betamax recordings fans have kept all these years. Hopefully Kei can convince Toei Animation to try and use his VHS tapes to created a better home video release. Here's a sample of his VHS. The video is called 'test' because Kei synched the audio up to his color-corrected take on the Dragon Boxes.
    I should mention that while the Dragon Boxes use optical audio tracks instead of the original cinetape masters used for the original broadcast the audio is better than those of non-Dragon Box releases. Toei Animation and broadcast stations trashed the original cinetape masters, so optical is all that exists anymore. Dragon Ball GT has recently aired on Animax with the D2 audio masters, so apparently the higher-quality mono and stereo (for Episode #5-64) still exist. Toei Animation only used optical tracks for the Dragon Boxes, though.

Of course, nothing beats the original 1986-1997 VHS/Betamax recordings fans have kept all these years. Hopefully Kei can convince Toei Animation to try and use his VHS tapes to created a better home video release. Here's a sample of his VHS. The video is called 'test' because Kei synched the audio up to his color-corrected take on the Dragon Boxes.

I believe Dragon Ball Z Episodes #73-80 were for whatever reason mastered on 35mm, the rest are mastered on 16mm. However, 16mm is actually a bit bigger than 1920 x 1080, so it's not actually an issue if you remaster the film properly (which takes money a small company like FUNimation will never have the likes of for so many episodes).
    I believe Dragon Ball Z Episodes #73-80 were for whatever reason mastered on 35mm, the rest are mastered on 16mm. However, 16mm is actually a bit bigger than 1920 x 1080, so it's not actually an issue if you remaster the film properly (which takes money a small company like FUNimation will never have the likes of for so many episodes).
    No, the seven box sets from FUNimation only covered Dragon Ball Z Episodes #1-291. The original press release stated FUNimation had the rights to the thirteen movies, but those were never released on home video or mentioned again. Right now FUNimation is focusing on their cropped Blu-ray sets that are horribly remastered, used a terrible optical audio source, lack the proper credits for each episode, the proper title cards, and the next episode previews.
    No, the seven box sets from FUNimation only covered Dragon Ball Z Episodes #1-291. The original press release stated FUNimation had the rights to the thirteen movies, but those were never released on home video or mentioned again. Right now FUNimation is focusing on their cropped Blu-ray sets that are horribly remastered, used a terrible optical audio source, lack the proper credits for each episode, the proper title cards, and the next episode previews.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Featured Posts

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts