Francisque
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• Here in Northern Italy (Süd-Tirol) there is a special flying bug I have never seen before. It is black with yellow stripes on its ass and there are black threads twirling around its body. Do you know its name in any language?
    Reactions: Francisque
    Francisque
    Francisque
    I'm afraid I don't know what you're referring at ... maybe I'll have to search on the Internet :)
    Red Arrow
    Red Arrow
    I couldn't find anything online :( I was hoping something would ring a bell. I do know the names of common Belgian insects. Honestly, this insect looked a bit like something from some magical world : O
    Red Arrow
    Red Arrow
    I checked all orders of insects and couldn't find anything that looked like it. But in Northern Italy we saw it everywhere...
    I have heard that Southern Frenchmen don't make a distinction between long è ê e (like in 'fête' and 'terre') and short ai (like in 'faite'). Do you make this distinction?
    Reactions: Francisque
    Francisque
    Francisque
    Or Québecers
    Red Arrow
    Red Arrow
    I noticed that z-sounds break the pattern. For example: mayonnaise, polonaise, fraise etc. They all sound long as well. The z-sound also breaks another pattern. eu is normally pronounced [œ] in closed syllables, but not in heureuse, délicieuse etc.
    Francisque
    Francisque
    Yeah in words followed by /v, z, ʒ, R/ any stressed vowel gets longer (or becomes the long counterpart of the short one) but it's not very distinctive.. and you're right, /œ/ becomes [ø:] (but [œ:R]) when "long" and in very very few minimal pairs like "jeûne" vs "jeune":)
    Is your avatar taken from the Gumball episode "The Kiss"? I saw Anais in the same face as your avatar in this episode.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Featured Posts

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts