G
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media About

• A lot of 90's Japanese video game commercials were weird while their American counterparts were trying too hard to be edgy
    Pooky
    Pooky
    I'm a 90s kid and I have a lot of fondness for that decade, but even at the time I found a lot of the marketing techniques that were popular then to be obnoxious and alienating
    never thought Twitter can get mutilated so quickly
    Ace
    Ace
    I heard Facebook has been doing pretty bad too. They had a major stock crash and they're losing users. Also fired like 11k employees.
    Ace
    Ace
    What is going on with social media?
    Did Uncle Grandpa become an unironic cult classic?
    Perla Magica
    Perla Magica
    I think so.
    Toon Guy
    Toon Guy
    Seems plausible; the show is just about old enough to have people growing up watching it.

Also, wasn't Uncle Grandpa mentioned in Family Guy?
    CartoonLover2604
    CartoonLover2604
    I always enjoyed Uncle Grandpa unironically. It was the perfect show to turn off your brain and enjoy the madness. I could see why it was hated but I'm glad to see others are warming up to it.
    man... Miniclip is dead
    Reactions: JMTV
    JMTV
    JMTV
    I used to LOVE Miniclip as a kid. But yeah, looking at it now, it's sad that it has become a shell of its former selves.
    it's hard to believe that Time Warner was once one of the biggest companies in the world.
    But then they owned too much stuff and was high in debt that they end up selling stuff like Warner Music Group and Six Flags to name a few if I'm not mistaken.
    Is it safe to say that the pandemic really made the American entertainment industry hit rock bottom?

But as history shows we can evolve and recover from all the nastiness in the world. It’s just I’m afraid it probably won’t recover until mid 2025 if we’re lucky
    Mostezli
    Mostezli
    The immediate recovery made the entertainment hit rock bottom. The pandemic was supposed to usher in a boon for toon since they paused everything else, but now it's just one bad headline after the other shrinking this market because of how bad "everything else" was during and even some after the pandemic.
    TheMisterManGuy
    TheMisterManGuy
    It's a combination of Inflation, economy, overspending on streaming, and others that is causing a lot of problems right now.
    Ace
    Ace
    I think streaming did that years before the pandemic and a variety of other factors. Also having to compete with gaming and social media as a source of entertainment.
    Did something happen in America's M&A and anti trust regulations in the last 10 to 15 years. Is that why companies left and right are literally cannibalizing themselves for profits and stocks?
    Well it wasn’t as terrible as I thought it would be but I would say Jack Black kind of works as Bowser

I thought he would do his typical frat boy accent for him

But I'm not sold on Chris Pratt as Mario yet.
    That random thought of some Golden Age animators like Chuck Jones lived long enough to make it to the late 90's to early 2000's
    Then you start to realize they co-existed with modern things like Rap and Metal music, the rise of CGI, Video Games, and most importantly the 90's resurgence in animation.
    Low Spark of Lyman
    Low Spark of Lyman
    I saw the Extremes and Inbetweens documentary (shown on PBS in 2000, released on DVD in 2002) recently, which covered the history of Jones and his impact on the entertainment industry.

Others to apply (albeit stretching into the mid-2000s): Art Davis, Norm McCabe, Bernie Wolf, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, Ward Kimball, Marc Davis...
    Reactions: Pooky
    Pooky
    Pooky
    Friz Freleng lived until 1995, although lower profile than Chuck; his last "gig" was as consultant on the 1993 Pink Panther series, although I don't know how much he actually did on that. David DePattie was more involved; he didn't like the Panther talking, but accepted it as a compromise (DePattie was a fair bit younger than and debatable if he's a "Golden Age" figure I suppose, but he only passed last year)
    Low Spark of Lyman
    Low Spark of Lyman
    Walter Lantz, who predeceased Freleng by a year, was doing quite a bit since retiring in 1972 (the year of the last Golden Age Woody Woodpecker cartoons).
    Reactions: Pooky
    I don't know why but I miss mid to late 90's film CGI where today it looks like plastic
    maybe Scorsese was right about cinema.

Especially here in america as far as mainstream live action ones go
    JMTV
    JMTV
    Context?
    G
    Ghoster1987
    Remember when he said marvel wasn’t cinema
    JMTV
    JMTV
    Oh yeah. I remember that.
    I feel like Adult TV animation in the last 4 years is starting to improve despite some bumps in the road while Kids TV animation is in an awkward spot where it's on throw whatever at the wall and see what sticks mode thanks to streaming and the pandemic.
    Reactions: JMTV
    JMTV
    JMTV
    Not to mention, lack of variety in linear TV channels as well.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Featured Posts

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts