“It’s Pony” News & Discussion Thread

jokerbeans2091

do you think animators should continue to pitch to nickelodeon or should they go somewhere else you never hear about cartoon network or disney screwing over shows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JTOONSAnimation

do you think animators should continue to pitch to nickelodeon or should they go somewhere else you never hear about cartoon network or disney screwing over shows.

Animators are always gonna keep pitching to Nickelodeon, they're the biggest kid brand on TV and people need jobs.

Besides Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have done their fair share of screwing over shows (nearly every network does), they have shows that they're screwing over right now.

At the end of the day, we can't control the business practices that Nickelodeon follows, only they can and unfortunately stuff like this is going to be part of their strategy.

Last edited:

kirbygame

Besides Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have done their fair share of screwing over shows (nearly every network does), they have shows that they're screwing over right now.
The Owl House got cancelled because they says it doesn't fit in Disney brand. (which explains why It's Pony isn't greenlighted on Disney Channel)
and Mao Mao.. i have no idea what the actual heck is happening with that show anymore..

ThePharaohZ

I shouldn't be surprised. This is Nick after all. They're really shooting themselves in the foot. It's their own ridiculously high expectations and impatience that's keeping them from having many potential hit shows. They've only had 2 major hit shows in the last 15 or so years. That speaks volumes. And it is a slap in the face to the animators, writers, and production crews who put in hundreds, if not thousands, of man hours to create something just for the network to throw away like garbage. Nick's treatment of its other cartoons is shameful. C.H. Greenblatt even advised aspiring creators to avoid pitching to Nick.

Last edited:

kanc

Last Wednesday new NFL Slimetime Week 5, there included small It's Pony clip.

Light Lucario

Staff member

That's not true. Disney Channel didn't want to keep The Owl House going because it doesn't fit with their brand, as well as their outdated view on broadcast TV. Cartoon Network didn't renew Infinity Train because there wasn't a clear way for the series to appeal to a children audience, despite how the series was always intended for HBO Max instead of Cartoon Network proper. Not to mention Steven Universe had less episodes to work with than I think Rebecca Sugar originally wanted. Nickelodeon arguably does treat its shows worse, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel aren't without their own problems too.

The news doesn't really surprise me. Admittedly, I've only seen a couple of episodes and I wasn't really interested in the series, so I'm not personally invested in the fate of this series. That being said, it's still really bad when premieres on Nicktoons are basically a death sentence for any series. Even if I didn't already see a headline about It's Pony, just knowing that it's premiering on Nicktoons says it all. Nicktoons is the channel were shows go to die. Nickelodeon just doesn't seem interested in giving any series a chance and that has been the case for a long time. It's probably one reason why I've just been less and less interested in the channel. For all of the problems with Cartoon Network and Disney Channel, they are at least more willing to experiment with their shows than Nickelodeon tends to be.

SweetShop209

Maybe they should have put the show on Paramount Plus instead if the regular Nickelodeon channel wasn't interested. Then again, there's probably some contract that says it has to air on television.

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
For all of the problems with Cartoon Network and Disney Channel, they are at least more willing to experiment with their shows than Nickelodeon tends to be.
Plus, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel will actually finish their shows runs on the main channel most of the time. Nick isn't even generous enough most of the time to let their shows finish their runs on the main channel…

The Overlord

That's not true. Disney Channel didn't want to keep The Owl House going because it doesn't fit with their brand, as well as their outdated view on broadcast TV. Cartoon Network didn't renew Infinity Train because there wasn't a clear way for the series to appeal to a children audience, despite how the series was always intended for HBO Max instead of Cartoon Network proper. Not to mention Steven Universe had less episodes to work with than I think Rebecca Sugar originally wanted. Nickelodeon arguably does treat its shows worse, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel aren't without their own problems too.

The news doesn't really surprise me. Admittedly, I've only seen a couple of episodes and I wasn't really interested in the series, so I'm not personally invested in the fate of this series. That being said, it's still really bad when premieres on Nicktoons are basically a death sentence for any series. Even if I didn't already see a headline about It's Pony, just knowing that it's premiering on Nicktoons says it all. Nicktoons is the channel were shows go to die. Nickelodeon just doesn't seem interested in giving any series a chance and that has been the case for a long time. It's probably one reason why I've just been less and less interested in the channel. For all of the problems with Cartoon Network and Disney Channel, they are at least more willing to experiment with their shows than Nickelodeon tends to be.

Well, CN still let Steven Universe go for a while and Disney is at least letting the Owl House close out with what is essentially a mini series. Its Pony just seems like the latest animated show that Nickelodeon sent to die on Nicktoons and that really seems foolish at this point, Viacom CBS has a streaming service they could send this stuff too, Nicktoons should solely be reruns at this point. Yes, young hungry creators have to pitch everywhere, including Nickelodeon, but when Nicklodeon starts alienating more established creators like C.H Greenblatt, they are cutting themselves off from potential future content that would be useful for the streaming wars.

People say Nickelodeon is the most popular kids channel, but that is increasingly irrelevant. ViacomCBS is a far weaker company than Disney or Warner Bros and that is what really matters. Disney and Warner Bros are in a comfortable position to play it safe, ViacomCBS isn't, they have way less stuff to rely on than those 2 other companies, they should be the company that takes chances, while Disney plays it safe. I assume Star Trek Prodigy is on Paramount Plus because Star Trek is one of the few popular IPs ViacomCBS owns, its likely not going to get shunted off to Nicktoons, because its part of one of the few popular IPs this company has left, but they should take more chances, because they can't play it safe like Disney does.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, CN still let Steven Universe go for a while and Disney is at least letting the Owl House close out with what is essentially a mini series. Its Pony just seems like the latest animated show that Nickelodeon sent to die on Nicktoons and that really seems foolish at this point, Viacom CBS has a streaming service they could send this stuff too, Nicktoons should solely be reruns at this point. Yes, young hungry creators have to pitch everywhere, including Nickelodeon, but when Nicklodeon starts alienating more established creators like C.H Greenblatt, they are cutting themselves off from potential future content that would be useful for the streaming wars.
I'd give credit for Cartoon Network since we got a movie and Steven Universe Future. In spite of having less time to work with, I think that the creative team still managed to make it work. The series finale was still ultimately satisfying and fitting. Disney Channel is at least giving The Owl House some chance for closure with those three specials, but I don't know how much credit I can give them for that, at least right now. I guess it's better than expecting them to wrap up the storyline with one season, but it still seems pretty lousy treatment for no good reason. Although, if the series does well on Disney+, I think that there's a relatively good chance that they'll do something with The Owl House down the road, which is more than I can say for any failed Nicktoon.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how well Paramount+ has been doing even with all of these promos I see on Nickelodeon and Teen Nick, but putting their shows on a streaming service is worlds better than leaving them to die on Nicktoons.

People say Nickelodeon is the most popular kids channel, but that is increasingly irrelevant. ViacomCBS is a far weaker company than Disney or Warner Bros and that is what really matters. Disney and Warner Bros are in a comfortable position to play it safe, ViacomCBS isn't, they have way less stuff to rely on than those 2 other companies, they should be the company that takes chances, while Disney plays it safe. I assume Star Trek Prodigy is on Paramount Plus because Star Trek is one of the few popular IPs ViacomCBS owns, its likely not going to get shunted off to Nicktoons, because its part of one of the few popular IPs this company has left, but they should take more chances, because they can't play it safe like Disney does.
Most of the big/popular kid shows that I hear about are on Cartoon Network or Disney Channel. Outside of Spongebob and I guess the Loud House, I don't think that Nickelodeon has had a huge successful series in ages. The closest might have been Glitch Tech, but that was another Nicktoon that didn't get much attention. Granted, I haven't kept up with Nickelodeon that much for years, so I'm not on the pulse of what is popular on the channel. I just hear quite a bit about popular Cartoon Network and Disney Channel series while little to nothing about shows airing on Nickelodeon.

The Overlord

I'd give credit for Cartoon Network since we got a movie and Steven Universe Future. In spite of having less time to work with, I think that the creative team still managed to make it work. The series finale was still ultimately satisfying and fitting. Disney Channel is at least giving The Owl House some chance for closure with those three specials, but I don't know how much credit I can give them for that, at least right now. I guess it's better than expecting them to wrap up the storyline with one season, but it still seems pretty lousy treatment for no good reason. Although, if the series does well on Disney+, I think that there's a relatively good chance that they'll do something with The Owl House down the road, which is more than I can say for any failed Nicktoon.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how well Paramount+ has been doing even with all of these promos I see on Nickelodeon and Teen Nick, but putting their shows on a streaming service is worlds better than leaving them to die on Nicktoons.

Most of the big/popular kid shows that I hear about are on Cartoon Network or Disney Channel. Outside of Spongebob and I guess the Loud House, I don't think that Nickelodeon has had a huge successful series in ages. The closest might have been Glitch Tech, but that was another Nicktoon that didn't get much attention. Granted, I haven't kept up with Nickelodeon that much for years, so I'm not on the pulse of what is popular on the channel. I just hear quite a bit about popular Cartoon Network and Disney Channel series while little to nothing about shows airing on Nickelodeon.

I read an article about Nickelodeon a couple of years ago, about Bob Bakish saying the cupboard was kinda bare and I was thinking, ''Yeah, because you guys threw out almost everything over the years, there was barely anything left''.

They sent Glitch Tech to Netflix, they could have made new episodes for Netflix, but they didn't and just treated Netflix as a Nicktoons with a bigger pay out. This wasteful attitude is not luxury this company can afford.

Paramount Plus is likely one of the weaker streaming services out there, but putting new exclusive content on it only helps it.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!

This is why I think, now, that Comcast/NBCUniversal/Universal Studios should at least get involved in helping ViacomCBS gain strength and make Nickelodeon good & watchable again.

The Overlord

This is why I think, now, that Comcast/NBCUniversal/Universal Studios should at least get involved in helping ViacomCBS gain strength and make Nickelodeon good & watchable again.

Unless Comcast is going to buy ViacomCBS, which I heard a rumor about, Comcast is not going to help ViacomCBS with Nickelodeon.

ThePharaohZ

Nick really can't afford to have such high standards. You can't run a network off of two successful shows while sending the others to the graveyard that is Nicktoons. It's crazy how Nick is, or rather was as successful as they are/were because they took risks with shows like Spongebob and now they've become content. Problem is being content has now become a risk to the network.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Is "It's Pony" from Nickelodeon UK or is that just the animation studio that's in the UK, I wonder if Nick US didn't like the idea of a non Nick US show doing well on their network. It and again Ollie's Pack were doing great ,even sometimes beating the Loud House Casagrandes so I'm wondering if that could be a factor. Not saying that's a good reason, but more a reason of why they wouldn't want to foster these shows.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts