“Tiny Toons Looniversity” News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

cheril59

A while back I had this idea for a theoretical TTA reboot, and I came up with a (admittedly not creative) way to compensate for Messick's death by "replacing" Hamton--"replace" him with his little cousin--a brand new character. The in-universe explanation would've been that Hamton's father got a job offer in another city and consequently Hamton's family moved out of Acme Acres. Then along came Hamton's cousin (I still don't know what his name should've been), who moved into Hamton's family's old residence. Theoretically, Hamton himself could've made a guest appearance in a one-off "family reunion" special ("I just got a letter from Uncle Wade and Aunt Winnie--Cousin Hamton's coming to visit!").

Obviously this is one of the most common reboot/sequel tropes/cliches--characters suddenly having siblings, cousins or other relatives that weren't mentioned before just to compensate for the loss of the original actor. However, when Alaskey had died, I'd figured I'd have to have given Plucky the "little cousin" treatment as well.

For the record, I don't have anything against recasts, and they can work provided the right sound-alike is chosen, but consider this a back up plan. Just like with Disney's Rescuers Down Under, when Orville Albatross' VA died, several sound-alikes were tested but didn't sound convincing enough, so they decided in the end to give Orville a brother named Wilbur (just like the Wright Brothers).

But Hamton and Plucky certainly are important characters, and they're important enough to justify recasts. In the case of Hamton, one likely candidate for a sound-alike IMO is Jeff Bergman. Bergman was the original voice of CN's classic toon sister-station Boomerang, and his announcer voice is very similar to Messick's announcer voice that can be heard on so many classic Hanna Barbera cartoons. In addition, Bergman voiced many Messick-originated characters, such as Boo Boo Bear, for many late 90s/2000s CN and Boomerang promos.

In regards to Elmyra's being eliminated from the reboot, I wonder what the in-universe explanation for her absence will be. My theory was she'd be serving a life sentence in the Acme Acres State Penitentiary for her history of excessive cruelty to animals.
We could make do with Billy West or Jason Spisak as Hamton.

Vuxovich

How about Eric Bauza as Buster, Plucky and Sweetie, Grey Griffin as Babs, Patrick Pedraza as Hamton, Robbie Daymond as Monty, Ian James Corlett as Dizzy, Hynden Walch as Fifi and Anna Akana as Shirley?
They only need to recast Hamton and Plucky since their VA's are dead. Don't be so ridiculous!
Yeah! Not sure if Maurice LaMarche could do a wicked Plucky, but maybe Dee Bradley Baker, Jeff Bergman or Eric Bauza?

Then... How about Pedraza as Hamton and Bauza as Plucky?

ShadowBeast

My first instinct would be to not expect Montana Max, as I didn't think Danny Cooksey would still be doing much VA work. But I checked, and while he's been a little inactive in the past 5 years, he did do some stuff during the first half of the 2010's. I didn't know that he was the voice of Kick Buttowski, for instance.
Actually he voiced Kick's brother, Brad Buttowski. He played a bunch of characters that I never realized he voiced.

IDistractedYou

Perky Prince of Painful Puns
With Elmyra could it have more to do with the Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain spin-off? Ie: A rights issue and since Hulu got Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain...

Light Lucario

Staff member
With Elmyra could it have more to do with the Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain spin-off? Ie: A rights issue and since Hulu got Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain...
I'm not sure if Elmyra would be so tie into the rights issue for Pinky and the Brain because of that spin-off, but that could be possible. I don't know if any other Tiny Toon character appeared during that series either.

MarshalGrover

My issue is with no Elmyra, there isn't an Elmer Fudd equivalent on the show, unless they create a new character.

cheril59

My issue is with no Elmyra, there isn't an Elmer Fudd equivalent on the show, unless they create a new character.
Yeah, what's up with that? There was Sam Sheepdog's counterpart, Saul, and Speedy's counterpart Lightning Rodriguez. But maybe Lightning may as well be related to Slowpoke Rodriguez, perhaps a nephew or son?

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Bumping this up because we have important casting news... BAD Important casting news as it seems like some of the actors from the prime series weren't asked to come back

Yeah apparently neither Charlie Adler or Maurice LeMarche were asked to come back for this which yeah is pretty upsetting. Now I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt for the show when it was revealed Cree Summer wasn't coming back since whether or not you like Elmyra it could be argued she may not even be allowed to return as a character due to her rights being tied more to the Animaniacs set of characters after Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain especially since the new Animaniacs episode did throw a reference to her so may be a case of "Hulu can only use the character not HBO Max/CN where this show is going to be put in" but yeah this is ridiculously bullcrap. As Maurice LeMarche (who played Dizzy Devil on Tiny Toons) the Animaniacs revival did well on Hulu and a prime reason for that was having the original cast everyone loved back as proof positive these were the same characters people enjoyed from decades ago returning for more adventures which is what you would want in such a revival. So why wouldn't you have him or Charlie Adler come back? I mean wouldn't Charlie Adler especially be such an important get to show the fans "no we're doing this RIGHT" by having the original voice of Buster Bunny brought back after being replaced at the tail end of the original TTA? I get some reboots wanting to have their own spins and takes on a character including having them have different voices but shows like this driven most by the character's personalities from how great their original VAs were who are STILL working in the industry (well not all of them but you know what I mean) NEED to have the originals come back. And not their original talent being so shafted. Seriously studios still don't get that it takes more then just a name and brand for a lot of these properties and also need to get back the talent behind it. Not for every project but this one really should and not having that is more damaging and something I hope they correct ASAP.

EDIT: Literally posted this at the same time as Perla did but I'm keeping it up because I actually had a point to make other then just reposting the news.

SweetShop209

He said, "as of now, we're not". I don't know what's going on with the production of the series, but it is still in development. For all we know, those like Charlie Adler and Maurice LaMarche could be asked later on to reprise their roles later on. All we can do is wait for a cast announcement.

JMTV

He said, "as of now, we're not". I don't know what's going on with the production of the series, but it is still in development. For all we know, those like Charlie Adler and Maurice LaMarche could be asked later on to reprise their roles later on. All we can do is wait for a cast announcement.
Okay, that's fair. Thank you for reassuring. ;)

SweetShop209

The only characters we know that will require new voice actors are Plucky and Hamton, due to the respective deaths of Joe Alaskey and Don Messick in 2016 and 1997. Billy West has voiced the latter in material like commercials and promos, so he could potentially voice him here.

The only characters we know that will require new voice actors are Plucky and Hamton, due to the respective deaths of Joe Alaskey and Don Messick in 2016 and 1997. Billy West has voiced the latter in material like commercials and promos, so he could potentially voice him here.
And who would replace Alaskey as Plucky?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Streaker Prower wrote on Otakuninja2006's profile.
Hey Otakuninja2006, I want to see more of your Nickelodeon Slam Schedules please
Pixar's Ratatouille is 15 years old today.

It looks like Paget Brewster didn't know that DuckTales would end at season 3 given the surprise she felt when she was told about this at the last recording.
themidnightlore wrote on RegularCapital's profile.
A moment of silence for TCM, that got kicked out from the avatar. Joking aside, the avatar rocks nice the corporate WBD colours.

The winner of this matchup is The Muppet Movie, which got 3 votes. Follow That Bird got 1 vote. The next matchup is between Mulan and Kung Fu Panda.

Featured Posts