"Tiny Toons Looniversity" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Variety reports a Tiny Toon Adventures reboot is in the works at HBO Max and Cartoon Network.
The new series is titled “Tiny Toons Loonversity.” The half-hour animated show will feature characters from the original series, which aired from 1990-1992. The show has received a two-season order, with Steven Spielberg attached to return as an executive producer. Erin Gibson will serve as showrunner and co-executive producer, while Nate Cash will also co-executive produce. Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network Studios, will also executive produce along with Amblin Television co-presidents Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank
“Tiny Toons Looniversity” is produced by Amblin Television in association with Warner Bros. Animation. Clint LaVigne, vice president of television at Amblin Television, and Audrey Diehl, senior vice president of series at Warner Bros. Animation, will oversee day-to-day creative affairs of the series.

harry580

wow another reboot of a cartoon from steven spielberg, i guess warnermedia likes steven spielberg so much again they doing again on tiny toons, i feel like freakazoid is neXT

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Oh, wow! Tiny Toons is making a comeback already?! Just before the Animaniacs reboot came out?! That's very surprising!

Looking at the synopsis, it might actually worked very well.

I know it's too early to tell, but what I am really hoping for this new reboot series is that they kept the core of the original but more modernized. Plus, I want to see the characters slightly older (but not too older) and more matured, but still retaining their roots (That, and bring the original voice actors back).

To be honest, I still like Tiny Toons Adventures (slightly more than Animaniacs), so I'm optimistic and looking forward to see this new reboot series.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Plucky will also need to be re-casted, I would guess either Dee Bradley Baker or Eric Bauza would take Joe Alaskey's place but we'll see.

Reactions: Asa

Mandouga

In any case, I think the characters should stay as they are. "The characters should be (slightly older)"? Don't forget what we're watching. Really, that's like saying Bugs Bunny and the others should be senior citizens or something. Anyway, HBO Max is (comparatively) much better than idea than Hulu, but that's actually another story.* Suffice it to say, I'm willing to give it chance, but if this is just going to be a tribute/parody that doesn't know what it's talking about (or tries too hard to be "realistic"), I'm not going to bother. After all, as most people know, if you change things too much, it ends up being nowhere near what makes the show what it is.

*Along with the show airing on the Cartoon Network.

powerjake

Banned
Expect lazy flash animation like motion tweening just like Animaniacs 2020 revival and HBO Max's Looney Tunes Cartoons.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
wow another reboot of a cartoon from steven spielberg, i guess warnermedia likes steven spielberg so much again they doing again on tiny toons, i feel like freakazoid is neXT

I doubt that. Freakazoid wasn't near as big a hit as Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures was. Granted of the WB Silver Age you really only had those two (well 3 with Pinky and the Brain but that's coming back with Animaniacs) in terms of the big comedy cartoons from Fox Kids/Kids WB from the mind of Tom Ruegger. As yeah Freakazoid probably is more fondly remembered then say Histeria or heck even Taz-Mania at this point but it still isn't at the pinnacle of those other major hits. Also I have a feeling that Hulu don't want to use any characters or ideas from these old Stephen Speilburg produced shows that involve bringing back any of the actual crew involved with Ruegger to work on them preferring to use different current crews for whatever reason. Thus they aren't going to bring back a show where the main voice (Paul Rugg) was also one of the writers for those other shows so again wouldn't expect this one to be brought back.

In any case, I think the characters should stay as they are. "The characters should be (slightly older)"? Don't forget what we're watching. Really, that's like saying Bugs Bunny and the others should be senior citizens or something.

Well again they are cartoon characters that fully embrace they're cartoon characters and can age or not age as much as they want. I mean the Looney Tunes in Tiny Toons didn't age despite the fact they were still created in the golden era of animation (it's even in the theme song. "The teachers have been getting laughs since 1933" ) so honestly even if the Tiny Toons were older the Looney Tunes don't have to be. Actually that would be an interesting jokey subject to broach; the idea of a cartoon getting older and how long one can really last.

I have to admit though I do agree that yeah Tiny Toons probably do have more distinct and dramatic personalities then most of the Animaniacs cast (since you can put the Tiny Toons in more sort of standard plots and having to grow and change because of character development that yeah you wouldn't really get from the Warners) I admit to also preferring Animaniacs over the years since it probably has overall higher highs and better specific character and ideas and well just appealed to me more overall honestly. That's not to say I don't still enjoy and have a soft spot for Tiny Toons Adventures which honestly may be one of the first cartoons I ever watched. Like right around when I started really getting into cartoons with the original Nicktoons and yeah Looney Tunes Tiny Toons was one of the first I picked up and saw a lot of especially when it played on snydication in Kids WB and Nickelodeon. So yeah it's one I would be down for seeing more of as well especially since Animaniacs seems to be doing well. I'm guessing WB already saw the hype generated by the Animaniacs revival even before the numbers came out to try and captalize on relaunching more nostalgic property thus went to Tiny Toons next. And honestly though a fair amount of the cast you will have to redo (RIP Joe Alaskey once again easily one of the best Daffy Ducks and yeah his Plucky Duck was also great) it is something you can honestly bring back also in a fun meta way since it can also explore that aspect of being revived differently then something like Animaniacs can since oddly enough Tiny Toons Adventures oddly enough has a bit more stakes and stories to it then Animaniacs did so yeah be curious to see what a new version does. Of course since this was just announced I assume it may only be till... what 2022 till we see this show based on how long Animaniacs took to come out but hopefully the wait would be worth it if it winds up being good.

Jonwo

Warner Bros must be very happy with how Animaniacs has turned out if Tiny Toons is being revived.

It's interesting that WB is going back to IP that kickstarted Warner Bros Animation as we know it today.

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is a really nice surprise. I loved watching Tiny Toons back in the day. I really didn't think that they'd do something with Tiny Toons again, especially when I don't really hear about it as much as I do with Animanaics. I was really caught off guard when I saw the headline on the main site. I'm pretty excited about this. I'm not sure how they handle the casting or what the characters will look like, but revisiting Tiny Toons sounds like a promising idea at least. I'm excited about this.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I'd also like a reunion telefilm showing the main characters decades after the end of the original series, with ships such as Buster/Babs possibly being revealed to be canon (by way of having been married for many years).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts