8:00 gummi bears
8:30 smurfs
10:00 fraggle rock the animated series
10:30 alvin and the chipmunks
11:00 alf
11:30 new archies
12:00 foofur
12:30 i'm telling

cbs was back in gear this year and abc was garbage with their forgettable trio from 8:30-10.
for me...
8:00 hello kitty
8:30 muppet babies (back and forth with smurfs)
10:00 pound puppies/pee-wee's playhouse
10:30 mighty mouse/alvin and the chipmunks
11;00 popeye and son (alf cartoon was good too)
11:30 bugs and tweety
12:00 cbs storybreak
12:30 kidd video

my abc lineup would've been...
8:00 care bears family (or something new)
8:30 pound puppies
9:30 my pet monster (transition from the cute cartoons earlier in the morning to ghostbusters)
10:00 the real ghostbusters (still a hot property)
11:00 bugs bunny and tweety (should've been used to plug up at least an hour if not more, ala the cbs days)
12:00 flintstone kids
12:30 abc weekend special

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
cbs was back in gear this year and abc was garbage with their forgettable trio from 8:30-10.
Agreed. While the only new show that season to remain on for another year was Mighty Mouse, CBS was pretty much the channel that I watched in the 1987-1988 (especially when ABC made the dumb decision to drop the Care Bears Family mid-season).

Zorak Masaki

Aside from The Real Ghostbusters, Alf, New Archies, and occasionally Foofur. I mainly just watched CBS this season. Also noticed that with the possible exceptions of Mighty Mouse and Ghostbusters, there were no action cartoons on any of the three networks this season. Also, were the Kidd Video reruns on CBS the syndicated versions that cut out the music videos and licensed music, or were they the original versions that originally aired on NBC?

Last edited:

superdude

king of cool
CBS slogan for this year was What A Party. All new bumpers with kids running the control booth.

ABC started the iconic stop-motion 'brick wall' bumpers.

NBC had super lame bumpers with NBC stars hosting. Terrible.

superdude

king of cool
Aside from The Real Ghostbusters, Alf, New Archies, and occasionally Foofur. I mainly just watched CBS this season. Also noticed that with the possible exceptions of Mighty Mouse and Ghostbusters, there were no action cartoons on any of the three networks this season. Also, were the Kidd Video reruns on CBS the syndicated versions that cut out the music videos and licensed music, or were they the original versions that originally aired on NBC?

I recall them being the same versions that aired on NBC.

JonSea31

CBS slogan for this year was What A Party. All new bumpers with kids running the control booth.

ABC started the iconic stop-motion 'brick wall' bumpers.

NBC had super lame bumpers with NBC stars hosting. Terrible.
Apparently, NBC brought back the traditional bumpers by 1988 and Casey Kasem returned to the mic for a few more months, only to be laid off in September 1988.

I also learned that CBS launched new episodes of the DiC produced "Dennis the Menace" by 1988 (which aired 65 episodes for syndication the following season), and did have the bumpers with the kids in the control room, but without mentioning the show's title. I am thinking the reruns of "Kidd Video" was more of a stopgap measure until "Dennis" was ready to launch.

I never got to see "Dennis" due to the local CBS affiliate in Detroit wrapping up the cartoon block prematurely in favor of wrestling and other syndicated live-action programming. But luckily, I did get to see it on CJON-TV in Canada during the 1988-89 season, and it was later reran to death on GlobalTV in Canada for some years.

Cave-Cat-87

Regarding the CBS Saturday Morning schedule for 1987, I read that one cartoon that never got a chance to air was the Garbage Pail Kids cartoon, due to the fact that it ended up being a target of parents' groups, on the grounds that the cartoon supposedly contained controversial themes.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts