2006 - The beginning of the end for Saturday Morning Cartoons

TheMisterManGuy

2006 was in an interesting year in Saturday Morning Animation. For the past few years prior, The networks relied on pulling content from Cable Channels. CBS merged with Viacom in 2000, and worked with Nickelodeon to supply their Saturday morning lineup. NBC leased its Saturday block out to Discovery Communications, who used the time to promote it's Discovery Kids Channel. Kids' WB! began airing a few shows from Cartoon Network, And ABC dumped most of its original One Saturday Morning shows, in favor of just airing reruns from Disney Channel and Jetix. The sole exception, was FOX, who sold off their Family division, which included its doomed Fox Family Channel to Disney in 2001. Fox would instead lease its Saturday block to 4Kids Entertainment, who proceeded to fill it with cheesy anime dubs.

But in 2006, a major shake up happened that would be the first instance of Saturday Morning Cartoons really falling apart. CBS and Viacom split earlier in the year, with CBS Television becoming part of the new CBS Corporation, while Nick stayed with Viacom. Loosing it's cable cousin, CBS brought in DiC Entertainment to fill the Saturday morning block, which became the KOL Secret Slumber Party, aimed at girls.

NBC ended its deal with Discovery Kids in March, as the company wound up getting involved in a joint-venture project with Schoolastic, Classic Media, and Nelvana known as Qubo, which would air as a Saturday block on NBC, Fridays on Ion, and Sundays in Spanish on Telemundo. Qubo went for an underserved audience of early grade schoolers aged 5-8, as opposed to the 6-11 demo most kids shows targeted. One of the flagship shows for launch, was the Christian animated series VeggieTales, which was met with mixed reception by fans, as NBC mandated most religious elements be removed. Qubo still exists today in the form of its digital broadcast network, only now the brand is wholly owned by Ion Media.

Kids' WB! finally ceased its weekday broadcasts earlier in December 2005, with the network citing declining ratings, and backlash from WB affiliates. The remaining Saturday block, was later adopted by the newly merged CW. Even in its now downsized format, Kids' WB! continued on its new home as if nothing was happening, but CBS' joint-ownership of The CW meant that Kids' WB! lost much of its synergy with Cartoon Network, and by 2007, it's total staff had shrunk to a team of 10. So while it still had another year left, Kids' WB! was on life-support.

Fox continued its partnership with 4Kids, with 4Kids TV continuing as usual. However 4Kids would decrease its focus on dubbing and licensing anime as the company's financial problems started setting in. Instead, 4Kids shifted their focus to developing shows from scratch with Viva Piñata, and Chaotic. 4Kids ended its deal with Fox in 2008, as they decided to use The CW as its new home.

2006 really did mark the beginning of the end for Saturday Morning Cartoons. With most of the Broadcast Networks loosing their synergy with the Cable Channels, all that was left was cheaply produced shows and acquisitions.

animation girl

2006 was in an interesting year in Saturday Morning Animation. For the past few years prior, The networks relied on pulling content from Cable Channels. CBS merged with Viacom in 2000, and worked with Nickelodeon to supply their Saturday morning lineup. NBC leased its Saturday block out to Discovery Communications, who used the time to promote it's Discovery Kids Channel. Kids' WB! began airing a few shows from Cartoon Network, And ABC dumped most of its original One Saturday Morning shows, in favor of just airing reruns from Disney Channel and Jetix. The sole exception, was FOX, who sold off their Family division, which included its doomed Fox Family Channel to Disney in 2001. Fox would instead lease its Saturday block to 4Kids Entertainment, who proceeded to fill it with cheesy anime dubs.

But in 2006, a major shake up happened that would be the first instance of Saturday Morning Cartoons really falling apart. CBS and Viacom split earlier in the year, with CBS Television becoming part of the new CBS Corporation, while Nick stayed with Viacom. Loosing it's cable cousin, CBS brought in DiC Entertainment to fill the Saturday morning block, which became the KOL Secret Slumber Party, aimed at girls.

NBC ended its deal with Discovery Kids in March, as the company wound up getting involved in a joint-venture project with Schoolastic, Classic Media, and Nelvana known as Qubo, which would air as a Saturday block on NBC, Fridays on Ion, and Sundays in Spanish on Telemundo. Qubo went for an underserved audience of early grade schoolers aged 5-8, as opposed to the 6-11 demo most kids shows targeted. One of the flagship shows for launch, was the Christian animated series VeggieTales, which was met with mixed reception by fans, as NBC mandated most religious elements be removed. Qubo still exists today in the form of its digital broadcast network, only now the brand is wholly owned by Ion Media.

Kids' WB! finally ceased its weekday broadcasts earlier in December 2005, with the network citing declining ratings, and backlash from WB affiliates. The remaining Saturday block, was later adopted by the newly merged CW. Even in its now downsized format, Kids' WB! continued on its new home as if nothing was happening, but CBS' joint-ownership of The CW meant that Kids' WB! lost much of its synergy with Cartoon Network, and by 2007, it's total staff had shrunk to a team of 10. So while it still had another year left, Kids' WB! was on life-support.

Fox continued its partnership with 4Kids, with 4Kids TV continuing as usual. However 4Kids would decrease its focus on dubbing and licensing anime as the company's financial problems started setting in. Instead, 4Kids shifted their focus to developing shows from scratch with Viva Piñata, and Chaotic. 4Kids ended its deal with Fox in 2008, as they decided to use The CW as its new home.

2006 really did mark the beginning of the end for Saturday Morning Cartoons. With most of the Broadcast Networks loosing their synergy with the Cable Channels, all that was left was cheaply produced shows and acquisitions.
That's interesting I actually thought that it ended with the 90s. I sadly didn't have tv until late 2009(with the exception of a bit of summer 2008).

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

I kinda see what you're saying, but I'd say 1992 was the "beginning of the end". That's when NBC dumped it's Saturday Morning cartoon line-up and began the chain reaction of Saturday morning cartoon blocks failing/disappearing.

2006 wasn't "the beginning of the end". 2006 is more likely the year when Saturday morning cartoons got put on life support (that's when Kids WB lost the rights to Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh). But it could be argued they got put on "life support" back in 2002 when Fox Kids and Disney's "One Saturday Morning" ended.

2008 is when both Kids WB and 4KidsTV (aka "FoxBox") were cancelled.

2012 is when Vortexx ended. That's the true "end" point for Saturday morning cartoons.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Actually, Vortexx ended in September of 2014, not 2012.

Ah, yes. I was thinking of Toonzai, which ended in 2012.

EDIT: And that's the thing, each of these blocks ending is a milestone along the way - from 1992 to 2014.

Actually, you could argue things started to unravel with Fox Kids premiering in 1990, that lead to both Kids WB and UPN Kids premiering in 1995, and....it was a different time period from the Big 3 networks just owning Saturday mornings through the 60's, 70's, and 80's. And that started with Fox Kids in 1990.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
Ah, yes. I was thinking of Toonzai, which ended in 2012.

EDIT: And that's the thing, each of these blocks ending is a milestone along the way - from 1992 to 2014.

Actually, you could argue things started to unravel with Fox Kids premiering in 1990, that lead to both Kids WB and UPN Kids premiering in 1995, and....it was a different time period from the Big 3 networks just owning Saturday mornings through the 60's, 70's, and 80's. And that started with Fox Kids in 1990.
That's okay. That's completely fair. ;)

aegisrawks

I think saying 1992 was the beggining of the end is right on the money! Even if some might consider sacrilegious to say. Because there were plenty of hits after that.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I think saying 1992 was the beggining of the end is right on the money! Even if some might consider sacrilegious to say. Because there were plenty of hits after that.

Right, because the thinking by some is "Look how huge Fox Kids was in 1993!" or "Look how huge Kids WB was in 2000!" or maybe even how cool "Toonzai" was in 2010....these don't take into consideration how much MORE huge Saturday morning cartoons were in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Reactions: RDG

aegisrawks

Not that they were GOOD mind you. But still Power Rangers 12.1 points has NOTHING ON The Archies whooping 47 points in the 2-11 demographic.

Streaker Prower

Well Qubo is now going to Shutdown at the end of February this year

Streaker Prower

Here's my list of Proper 2006 Saturday Morning Schedules
Of course it includes the blocks (New Shows in Bold)
  • ABC: Disney's One Saturday Morning
  • CBS: KOL's Secret Slumber Party
  • CW: Kids' WB
  • Fox: Fox Kids
  • NBC: Qubo
ABC (Disney's One Saturday Morning)
07-08AM Good Morning America (Not Part of OSM)
08-09AM Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (E/I) (Two Episodes)
09:00AM The Emperor's New School
09:30AM The Replacements
10AM-11PM That's So Raven (Two Episodes)
11:00AM Hannah Montana
11:30AM The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
12-1PM Kim Possible (Two Episodes)

CBS (KOL's Secret Slumber Party
07:00AM Madeline (E/I)
07:30AM Sabrina's Secret Life (E/I)
08:00AM Trollz (E/I)
08:30AM Horseland (E/I)
09-11AM The Saturday Early Show (Not apart of KOL's Secret Slumber Party)
11:00AM Cake (E/I)
11:30AM Dance Revolution (E/I)

The CW (Kids' WB!)
07-08AM Krypto the Superdog (E/I) (Two Episodes)
08:00AM Loonatics Unleashed
08:30AM Tom and Jerry Tales
09:00AM Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!
09:30AM Pokémon
10:00AM Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
10:30AM Johnny Test
11:00AM Legion of Super Heroes
11:30AM The Batman

Fox (Fox Kids)
07-08AM Local Programing
08:00AM Winx Club (E/I)
08:30AM Sonic X
09:00AM Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
09:30AM Viva Piñata
10:00AM Power Rangers Mystic Force
10:30AM Chaotic
11:00AM Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fast Forward
11:30AM G.I. Joe: Sigma 6

NBC (Qubo)
07-08AM Local Programing
08-10AM Today (Not Apart of Qubo)
10AM VeggieTales (E/I)
10:30AM Dragon (E/I)
11AM 3-2-1 Penguins/LarryBoy (E/I)
11:30AM Babar (E/I)
12PM Jane and the Dragon (E/I)
12:30PM Jacob Two-Two (E/I)

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts