ACME Night News & Discussion Thread

tykroma94

Acme Night? Oh, it's actually based off a Looney Tunes name.

Okay, this should be pretty interesting. ;)

Yea I noticed that too. The fact that they named a movie block based on the Looney Tunes is interesting.

I hope this becomes the new Flicks. With them putting it on Sunday already reminds me of it. Hopefully we get a Action Block soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghoster1987

howdy
So according to this article, does it mean Unicorn: Warriors Eternal’s release date is right around the corner?

PM13

Yea I noticed that too. The fact that they named a movie block based on the Looney Tunes is interesting.

I hope this becomes the new Flicks. With them putting it on Sunday already reminds me of it. Hopefully we get a Action Block soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially since now they greenlit a new Looney tunes movie for the block based on the 2020 reboot

harry580

so if I wanna make acme night word stand for this block it could be stand for

acton course movie Entertainment night

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Cartoon cartoons, hanna barbera studios and now acme night. Hmm. Sounds like the acme hour and bugs and daffy show in the 90s. Hopeful.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
so if I wanna make acme night word stand for this block it could be stand for

acton course movie Entertainment night
How about this:

Awesome Cartoons Movies and Entertainment.

Fun fact: the word acme isn't actually an acronym. It's a word. It means the highest point, peak or summit, like for a mountain or an achievement. Basically, the top.

Last edited:

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Regarding the Daffy & Porky movie: I'm not entirely sure if Looney Tunes Cartoons' fast-paced, frenetic style can work across a feature-length story, but Pete Browngardt and his team haven't let me down yet (I didn't enjoy the 2 Cicero Pig shorts, but they were still professionally done) and the Porky/Daffy shorts tend to be among my favorites, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
Interesting. Hopefully this will extinguish fans' worries that Cartoon Network is on the verge of becoming a preschool channel. Just because CN is going to start producing shows for preschoolers, that doesn't mean that the network will stop producing content for older viewers. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

Mandouga

And...it's over before it even started.

Once again, the Cartoon Network just doesn't get it (even though deep down, I know they do). As pointed out by the article, this so called "Acme Night" is going to (predictably) include live-action movies (including PG-13 rated movies...like Shazam, and don't "edited for TV" me; it's the principle of it either way).

I'm sorry everyone, but this is not an "Acme Night" of any kind, it really is just "Flicks" under a different name (as a previous poster talked about), but more than that, it's just TOON being random again, as usual, and apparently still convinced that "cartoon" (in this case, represented by the word "Acme") is just a state of mind...

Also, if someone at the Cartoon Network is somehow reading this, no, you've been through this. When the type of programming you show is in your channel's name, that is what people expect to see, not live-action of any kind, regardless if it tries to be "cartoon-like"/a "live-action cartoon". Live-action is live-action, period (that said, a show like The Banana Splits, where there are separate live-action and animated segments is one thing, but pure live-action, or anything that's even just predominantly live-action is another). I am not...but I am NOT going to just roll over and accept that this is what TOON is doing. A cartoon network is supposed to be a place for cartoons, not your personal definition of what makes a "cartoon". Look, there's no two ways about it; either change your channel's name or get rid of the live-action stuff. That's all there is to it.

(sigh...)

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
And...it's over before it even started.

Once again, the Cartoon Network just doesn't get it (even though deep down, I know they do). As pointed out by the article, this so called "Acme Night" is going to (predictably) include live-action movies (including PG-13 rated movies...like Shazam, and don't "edited for TV" me; it's the principle of it either way).

I'm sorry everyone, but this is not an "Acme Night" of any kind, it really is just "Flicks" under a different name (as a previous poster talked about), but more than that, it's just TOON being random again, as usual, and apparently still convinced that "cartoon" (in this case, represented by the word "Acme") is just a state of mind...

Also, if someone at the Cartoon Network is somehow reading this, no, you've been through this. When the type of programming you show is in your channel's name, that is what people expect to see, not live-action of any kind, regardless if it tries to be "cartoon-like"/a "live-action cartoon". Live-action is live-action, period (that said, a show like The Banana Splits, where there are separate live-action and animated segments is one thing, but pure live-action, or anything that's even just predominantly live-action is another). I am not...but I am NOT going to just roll over and accept that this is what TOON is doing. A cartoon network is supposed to be a place for cartoons, not your personal definition of what makes a "cartoon". Look, there's no two ways about it; either change your channel's name or get rid of the live-action stuff. That's all there is to it.

(sigh...)

Yeah, 'cause Cartoon Network has never aired any live-action specials or movies before this. Oh, wait, they have, and I can't help but notice that the Earth didn't implode upon itself as a result.

I personally have no problem with the likes of Shazam! or Detective Pikachu airing here, as those are "toon adjacent", i.e., either based on animated properties or animated/live-action hybrids.

As for the rating, well, keep in mind this will be airing during the evening, and it's intended for kids and adults to watch together. I've never gotten why some folks act like a simple rating is some dire issue that needs to be addressed. I'd rather get good stuff with a slightly more mature rating than a bunch of lame reality shows.

Also, it's a little late to be whining about Cartoon Network airing the occasional non-cartoon, because they've been doing it for a while now. Tom Ascheim has said they'd be throwing some live-action in the mix, so it's not like we haven't been forewarned, and Det. Pikachu and Shazam! fit the bill better than something like, say, Kicking and Screaming, which had nothing to do with cartoons. Just as the addition of preschool programming to CN doesn't mean that it will no longer be making shows for older viewers, the addition of some live-action projects doesn't mean that CN will no longer be airing cartoons. As long as the non-animated stuff doesn't take over, it's fine.

The way I see it, a block like this can serve as a 'bridge' between CN and [adult swim]; if the content is entertaining, then it's all gravy. As for changing the channel's name, it's a 20+ year old established international brand name, so I doubt that's going to happen. As long as the animation to live-action ratio remains at 80:20 or 70:30 in favor of animation, then there's no need to change it. You're free to disagree, but at the same time, you're not being forced to look at any of it. Just because a block is airing doesn't mean that you have to watch it. Can't handle the thought of Det. Pikachu airing on CN? Just change the channel and watch something else; it's not complicated.

Personally, I'm all for anything that breaks the monotony of endless Teen Titans GO!, Total Dramarama and Amazing World of Gumball reruns.

Last edited:

harry580

Yeah, 'cause Cartoon Network has never aired any live-action specials or movies before this. Oh, wait, they have, and I can't help but notice that the Earth didn't implode upon itself as a result.

I personally have no problem with the likes of Shazam! or Detective Pikachu airing here, as those are "toon adjacent", i.e., either based on animated properties or animated/live-action hybrids.

As for the rating, well, keep in mind this will be airing during the evening, and it's intended for kids and adults to watch together. I've never gotten why some folks act like a simple rating is some dire issue that needs to be addressed. I'd rather get good stuff with a slightly more mature rating than a bunch of lame reality shows.

Also, it's a little late to be whining about Cartoon Network airing the occasional non-cartoon, because they've been doing it for a while now. Tom Ascheim has said they'd be throwing some live-action in the mix, so it's not like we haven't been forewarned, and Det. Pikachu and Shazam! fit the bill better than something like, say, Kicking and Screaming, which had nothing to do with cartoons. Just as the addition of preschool programming to CN doesn't mean that it will no longer be making shows for older viewers, the addition of some live-action projects doesn't mean that CN will no longer be airing cartoons. As long as the non-animated stuff doesn't take over, it's fine.

The way I see it, a block like this can serve as a 'bridge' between CN and [adult swim]; if the content is entertaining, then it's all gravy. As for changing the channel's name, it's a 20+ year old established international brand name, so I doubt that's going to happen. As long as the animation to live-action ratio remains at 80:20 or 70:30 in favor of animation, then there's no need to change it. You're free to disagree, but at the same time, you're not being forced to look at any of it. Just because a block is airing doesn't mean that you have to watch it. Can't handle the thought of Det. Pikachu airing on CN? Just change the channel and watch something else; it's not complicated.

Personally, I'm all for anything that breaks the monotony of endless Teen Titans GO!, Total Dramarama and Amazing World of Gumball reruns.
but didn't detective pikachu used cgi?

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Here's the new logo for ACME Night.
ACME-Night-Logo-1000x600.jpg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts