"American Song Contest (NBC)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Lemanic

Eurovision Song Contest Eyeing U.S. Move as 'American Song Contest' (Exclusive)

The long-rumored North American version of the annual European mega competition is officially being developed, with an estimated launch in 2021.

The Eurovision Song Contest is on its way to America! Maybe.

The iconic, kitschy, wildly successful and long-running televised music competition — the finals of the 64th Eurovision Song Contest air Saturday — predates American Idol and The Voice, but has, until now, remained an entirely European affair.

Well, not entirely. Alongside the European countries sending singers to compete, Australia and Israel have been regular participants in the Eurovision. Tel Aviv, in fact, will host this year's contest, after Israeli star Netta won the 2018 competition.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has trusted Swedish production company Brain Academy with the exclusive license for the format to be shopped in the U.S. and a goal to hold the inaugural U.S. contest in 2021.

"Outside of sports, the Eurovision Song Contest is the biggest TV show on Earth, it unites a continent and everybody gets to vote," said Peter Settman, CEO and creative director of Brain Academy. "We can't wait to introduce this wonderful competition to the biggest TV market in the world. TV/video audiences are getting bigger every year so this is the perfect time to bring this exciting show to the American public."

The announcement of the U.S. version follows the August 2017 confirmation of another spinoff, Eurovision Asia Song Contest, licensed to SBS Australia as a one-night competition currently consisting of 17 Asian-Pacific countries set to compete, including China, India, Japan and the United Arab Emirates. However, a launch date has yet to be confirmed.

The long-rumored North American version of the annual European mega competition event is officially being developed as the American Song Contest for the U.S. market with an estimated launch in 2021, the EBU confirmed.

While still in development, the U.S. adaptation will presumably see American states compete against each other in a gradual competition over several shows, narrowing down the field all the way to the finale.

Now in its 64th year, the Eurovision Song Context is regarded as the world’s biggest music event drawing about 200 million viewers worldwide, including in Australia, which started competing in 2015, and Israel.

Each year, more than 40 countries, predominantly within Europe, delegate a musical act to perform an original song three minutes long or less. Following a lively voting process at the Grand Final, consisting of 26 finalists who advance after two semifinal showdowns, a winner is crowned whose country gets to host the event the following year. Eurovision’s biggest breakout is undoubtedly ABBA, the band that won the 1974 competition for Sweden.

"For over six decades the Eurovision Song Contest, powered by public service media, has brought audiences together with its values of diversity, universality and inclusivity," said Jon Ola Sand, executive supervisor of Eurovision for the EBU. "As part of the EBU’s overall strategy to grow the brand it’s time for Eurovision to go stateside to reach even more viewers. We’re delighted that this growth will be overseen by some of the people that have created some of its brightest moments."

Source: Eurovision Song Contest Eyeing U.S. Move as 'American Song Contest' (Exclusive)

Eurovision Song Contest Youtubers WIWI Bloggs were fortunate to have the press conference and additional interviews on tape.

So, does this look like a good idea?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I'm not entirely certain. For a start, I'm a "Eurovision native", I'm Portuguese and I do enjoy the contest, but the ASC reminds me of an idea NBC tried but aborted before even turning it into a reality. An in-country Eurovision-ish contest instead of trying to obtain efforts by making a continental competition just seems a little weird to me, but Germany has something similar (and has been outside the main Eurovision season as of late) so I guess it might work at least once to test the reaction of the people.

By the way, there is going to be an Eurovision Asia, as pointed out in the article, by Christmas in Australia (so this means Australia will take part in three song contests) but I seem to dislike the idea because it's not made under the auspices of the ABU. The ABU, on the other hand, decided to make a competitive song contest whose first edition will be in China in October (at least that's what they intend to).

Dudley

Staff member
Something something as our country is divided, this event will unite us or whatever.
I don’t know enough about singing competitions to how this differentiates from American Idol or the others, except now it’s a matter of state pride. It WOULD be nice if the event covered all of North America however.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Something something as our country is divided, this event will unite us or whatever.
I don’t know enough about singing competitions to how this differentiates from American Idol or the others, except now it’s a matter of state pride. It WOULD be nice if the event covered all of North America however.
Funny to consider this, but now I reminded myself of a couple of situations involving the UK and Denmark. They tried to allow separate competition for Wales and Scotland unsuccessfully. Now Denmark wants to allow the Faroe Islands to the competition.

Lemanic

Some basics should be implemented from the get-go.

1. Let this be a PBS deal. In the oncoming streaming wars, this could be the modest campfire tv that the US can gather around a few weeks a year that isn't just a vehicle for commercials.

2. Establish a "Big 5" of the US.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
Yeah, Pennsylvania was part of my criteria because of Philadelphia being so close to NYC. I'm divided about it being a PBS affair, though, because the event needs commercial sponsorship (in many European countries, public media is sustained by ads).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
1. Let this be a PBS deal. In the oncoming streaming wars, this could be the modest campfire tv that the US can gather around a few weeks a year that isn't just a vehicle for commercials.
I'm not sure PBS would be a good choice to air this show, even if they are a public broadcaster.

Lemanic

I'm not sure PBS would be a good choice to air this show, even if they are a public broadcaster.

Having it on PBS makes it reach the most Americans, keeping it inclusive. It also guarantees no commercial breaks, which keeps the brand integrity consistent. I actually argued for ABC in the past, but since American Idol is such a large part of its musical output, it would inevitably start unnecessary conflicts. The Eurovision brand is the "Criterion Collection" of Music shows, and PBS would be the best for that.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Having it on PBS makes it reach the most Americans, keeping it inclusive. It also guarantees no commercial breaks, which keeps the brand integrity consistent. I actually argued for ABC in the past, but since American Idol is such a large part of its musical output, it would inevitably start unnecessary conflicts. The Eurovision brand is the "Criterion Collection" of Music shows, and PBS would be the best for that.
But there would be downsides since some PBS stations wouldn't show due to their views, given that Eurovision has a popular LGBTQ+ fanbase.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
I know but the Alabama station certainly wouldn't show it, given that they refused to air the recent Arthur episode in which Mr. Ratburn gets married to his boyfriend.
Alabama network (APT), FTFY. Though I was expecting this in Mississipi too. This is because there are some states that are still far behind on LGBT rights.

Lemanic

OK, so if we got the US big 5 consisting of New York, Florida, Texas, Illinois and California, it lefts us with 46 states upon we can create two semifinals of 23 states. But, the highest amount of countries involved in the semifinals in Europe is 43 countries and many of them have withdrawn from or are unable to competing in the contest.

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
OK, so if we got the US big 5 consisting of New York, Florida, Texas, Illinois and California, it lefts us with 46 states upon we can create two semifinals of 23 states. But, the highest amount of countries involved in the semifinals in Europe is 43 countries and many of them have withdrawn from or are unable to competing in the contest.
23 states with one of them being a territory in one of the semi-finals (Washington DC being a more viable option). However I don't consider this as a PBS thing for me.

LinusFan303

Squeak
I hope it's somewhat us fun and strange like Euro vision. It feels like a FOX thing to me or ABC. I think PBS could air it they air music events and a 4th of July concert and etc but it feels more FOX or ABC to me.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts