Amphibia News And Discussion Thread

zoombie

Froggy Little Christmas

Great episode, a good point to take a break. Love all these callbacks, like the gift that Anne gave her mom, that was a callback from season 2.

Great to see Ally, Jess, and Dr. Jan, granted they don't interact yet, and no Terri, only stopping that aspect of the episode from being perfect. When Team Earth ladies going to come together?

And King Andreas he is officially Scrooge, who attacks on Christmas. Even Lex Luthor takes a day off. And episode can we please hold off on Darcy, can we just deal with that on another day.

I love that they didn't forget about Sasha and Marcy's family and what they must going through. And we get some info on Sasha's family, her parents divorced, and mom never remarried it seems.

All and all a great episode. Though we could have used some Terri, and see what is going on at Wartwood. That is my only nip pick.

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
The special was underwhelming, but good. Kinda like most of 3A. I would have liked something more for the 3A finale… but then again, the NEXT episode was supposed to be the 3A finale, but Disney moved it to the 3B premiere. Disney try not to screw up the Amphibia airing schedule for 5 seconds challenge (IMPOSSIBLE?!?)

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
1. So I guess the I.T. Gals impression of Christmas came from Dexter's Laboratory.

2. Feels like Polly would enjoy Beavis and Butthead. Whether she could get away with watching it is another matter.

3. Mr. Boonchuy obviously never saw Futurama.

Also rewatched a lot of 1999-2001 Disney Channel original movies lately and The Ultimate Christmas Present which had Brenda Song as Sam Kwan? Hallee Hirsh as Allie Thompson who is her friend and lead character I now think of as a Pre-Amphibia Sasha Waybright.

Would taking Santa's weather machine really have been out of place for them?

Edit: And as point out on a Trope forum this little gem slipped past our notice it seems:

Mrs. Boonchuy is named Mae.

Edit 2: Oh and Merry Christmas. Frog bless us, everyone. And remember when you ask for plot advancement, you bring three fictional gals closer to risk of doom or emotional scarring. :eek:

Last edited:

glennbyrnes

Sasha probably told the toads and the residents of Wartwood about Christmas too. I wonder if and how they are celebrating it.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
This Christmas special was pretty High Tier, and especially a step in the right direction for what has been a slow season, so far. I could also say that this Christmas special is on the verge of setting a Gold standard for special holiday episodes with how High Tier it ultimately turned out for itself.

Now, I'll admit Molly McGee did a better/funnier job at it, but what I'm getting at here still stands. This show (and Molly McGee) should be the example(s) to learn from on how to do just as good, or if even possible, even better, holiday-based episodes, by those working in this field of media, honestly.

With all that said: The second half of Season 3 (and with it, what's left of this show in general) has its work cut out for it and no excuses not to do better, as a result. Simply because we need to get back to where all the action that made this show so High Tier in the first place is, already!

As much as I'll likely come to miss Terri, the IT Girls, Anne's parents, and Dr. Jan - plus my new-found villains' crush on Dr. Frakes - I'm more than aware that we all by now know these people aren't the show's glue, unlike what was actually established 2 seasons ago, that is!

Furthermore, we know where the true heart of this show is - and it's not gonna be found wasting time in some fictional depiction of a craphole city most of us would'nt want to live in anyway IRL, if I'm being further honest with myself here.
That true heart is back in exactly what the title of this show is - I won't argue against that for even another minute, either!

Okay, take care, and remember:

DOWN WITH ANDRIAS!

JUSTICE FOR OLIVIA AND YUNAN.

JUSTUCE FOR ALL OF AMPHIBIA.

StellaMagic

Here are my thoughts on the Amphibia Christmas Special and looking back on Season 3 so far.

The Christmas Special was actually pretty enjoyable. It was fun. It was sweet. It was heartwarming. Of course, King Andrias is back at it again trying kill Anne, but usually failed. I really like Anne's role here of trying to make a float for her parents. It was really cute. What's very interesting is that The Planters never heard of Christmas before. Which makes a lot of sense considering that Anne's world is completely different than Amphibia, and there are some holidays that the Planters are not familiar with. But then again, they may had celebrated something similar in Amphibia, but to be fair, it's been a while since I saw the first season.

The main highlight of this episode for me was, of course, the song. The song was so beautiful. Then again, this is Rebecca Sugar where talking about, so of course her songs are all always top-notch. Hell, she even made a cameo in this episode. That's incredible. As someone who do kinda enjoy Steven Universe for what it is (though I'm not a big fan or anything), it's great to see her again one last time.

As for the ending? I really love it. Anne has such a good heart. She send letters to Sasha and Marcy's parents to let them know that their daughters are fine, even if they didn't get to see each other again and living in Amphibia. Anne will find Sasha and Marcy and bring them back home. This pretty much set a teaser for the second half of Season 3.

Overall, I really do enjoy this special. Even though the jokes were a bit and miss for me, but everything else was really good. I'll give it a 8.9 out of 10 stars. It's one hell of a great Christmas special that you should go check it out.

Now that Amphibia is entering another hiatus, what are my thoughts looking back on Season 3 so far?

Well, as much as I hate to say this, but the first half of Season 3 was....underwhelming, in my opinion. I don't know why, but it had such a strong start, but as the season goes on, it kinda petered out. The season focused on the Anne's world a little too much. I get that this season wanted The Planters to adjust to Anne's world, and you can do that in small doses, but not to the point where you completely overshadowed on what the show supposed to be taking place in. Plus, we never get to see Sasha ruling Wartword for a while nor what happened with Marcy, and I actually do miss the Wartword and Newtopia and Sasha and Marcy (well pre-tyrant Andrias Newtopia anyway). Which is very disappointing.

On top of that, most of the episodes of Season 3 is a mixed bag. There are some good ones like the S3 premiere, Sasha focused episode, Annesterminator, and Olivia & Yunan. Some of them were meh/filler episodes like the Hop Pop Hollywood episode and the SpiderSprig episode. Other ones that were just bad and unnecessary like the Thai Fued episode and the Cat-sitting episode. Those I consider the worst.

Say what you will about the first two seasons, at least they had gotten consistently better and better better in each and every episode. Yeah, they're some bumps in the road, but it still remain consistently good. Season 3, while it had its moments, but it went off to a rocky start. I really really hope the second half of Season 3 proves me wrong and actually does improve in quality, but for now, I feel very underwhelmed.

Amphibia Season 1: 8.8 out of 10 stars=A great season

Amphibia Season 2: 9.7 out of 10 stars=Fantastic

For now, Amphibia Season 3 (so far): 6.9 out of 10 stars=It's average. Not horrible, but not good either. It's just could've been so much better than any right to be.

Alright, see ya in 2022, my froggy friends.
You forgot the part about Mr. and Mrs. Waybright getting separate letters and that it spread the rumor they are separated or divorced.

ShadowBeast

Froggy Little Christmas: This was a fantastic Christmas Special. One of the few good episodes of this season. It just had the Christmas-vibe to it, and the Plantars questioning about the holiday didn't feel overused. I'm glad Mrs. Boonchuy wasn't angry about Anne going behind her back on making her dream come, and even got to enjoy her dream for a while before the Andreas who tried to steal Christmas went on to the attack.
King Andreas continues with his cruelty, and takes his loss like a gamer. The Core doesn't seem to respect him too much. I wonder if that will bite it in the butt?

We finally see something about Sasha and Marcy's families getting notified of their daughters' disappearances, and we get a hint of Sasha's parents being divorced, which might explain her controlling nature (she probably felt helpless on not being able to prevent it).

Shame the credits were overshadowed by a dumb Ladybug commercial.

Other ones that were just bad and unnecessary like the Thai Fued episode and the Cat-sitting episode. Those I consider the worst.
I have to disagree about the Cat-sitting episode as the ending with Mr Boonchuy was a very emotional scene. Plus it was nice seeing the Plantars try surviving the Human world without Anne's help.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Froggy Little Christmas was great. It had a great mixture of humor, heart and action. I liked how the running gags were used well without being annoying. I kind of expected a Charlie Brown style "What is Christmas all about ?!" from the Plantars but it was pretty nice how it was used and showed hints of what it's about through the episode instead. Rebbeca Sugar's song was fun. I liked how it also balanced out Anne working on the float but she didn't get caught up on it to forget doing things with her family, I was kind of expecting that, since that's a common plot, so they did a good job twisting things that happen in these things. It was a well done episode.

On the season so far, I think I see what it's doing, I think it's setting up the idea after showing Anne becoming honorary family with the Plantars, she's back with her family and now is trying to have her adopted family and real family get to know each other and care for each other. Giving us tidbits of what's happening in the other world and that Andrias is not only a threat to the other world but the Earth world as well. I know some thing it's slow ,but I feel patience might be rewarded, I hope so.

JMTV

Welcome to Wally World!
I have to disagree about the Cat-sitting episode as the ending with Mr Boonchuy was a very emotional scene. Plus it was nice seeing the Plantars try surviving the Human world without Anne's help
Okay fair enough. I'll give it that thought.

SweetShop209

Matt Braly took part in an interview where he talked about how season 3 is heavily by the idea of immigration and trying to make it in a different world. Two interesting things of note are:

1. Marcy's parents not having Taiwanese accents is because they're not first generation immigrants.

2. Sasha apparently has a German/Slavic background. There's a bit of irony here in that she's voiced by the Asian American Anna Akana.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Well i guess we're gonna have to wait until 2022 for Season 3B...
I ain't sad, just disappointed - in such that I saw that coming from miles away, honestly. Same with The Owl House and Molly McGee, as well.

That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to when they come back to overall entertain and remind me hopefully of why I enjoy AND respect these all of 3 shows, not just Amphibia, so I ain't too beat up to have to be waiting around. It is what it is. I only wish more people could accept that, but I'm NOT like most people, so whatever.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

The show was nominated for the GLAAD Awards.

zoombie

Hmm season 3 episode 11

"Sasha's Angels", looks like I get my wish of a Sasha / Ivy bonding episode. Looks like there will be other characters as well, maybe Maddie and her sisters.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts