Animaniacs (2020) News & Discussion Thread

cristian12345678

yakko wakko dot become older in a sense:
-looks like when animaniacs was canceled in 1998,yakko loses all the confidence(if he is funny) he used to had.
before (1993):
after (now):

SweetShop209

Didn't he retire around 2014- 2015? I mean, the last time he worked on any shows were with Littlest Pet Shop (with the episode Sue Syndrome) and Wabbit (one of the early episodes).

cristian12345678

Didn't he retire around 2014- 2015? I mean, the last time he worked on any shows were with Littlest Pet Shop (with the episode Sue Syndrome) and Wabbit (one of the early episodes).
looks like not because jess harnell mention it in that article that hes working in the revival alongside wellesley wild

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
"WB Kids", one of the official WB accounts on Youtube, which usually focuses on uploading "Tom & Jerry/Scooby-Doo/Looney Tunes" clips, has started uploading clips of the best songs from the original Animaniacs, over the last few days:

creator

I finally watched the first episode. The animation is phenomenal! It looks like the artists took care in respectfully modernizing the show. So many reboots and revivals drop the aesthetics of their previous shows - it's nice to see one that incorporates it. The writing was fine, but the pacing felt off. The Pinky and the Brain segment dragged.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I've watched 9 episodes so far and dang.. nah.. I don't see where everyone's getting this "it's just like the original!" stuff. It's gotten way wayyy too political, every other episode is just the same old political joke. There's too much reliance on gross out humor, and the characters seem off (Pinky especially seems flanderized to hell). The digital animation doesn't work for something so slapstick heavy, and the Warners don't even behave the same as they did in the original. Where are the little introductory songs? What about making references to pre-90s culture? Or anything that isn't political or an easy joke (like some man's small feet)? They're not even big nuisances like they used to be... I feel like most people see that there are enough elements similar to the original, but they failed hard in the writing department. The only segment so far to come close to the original is "WhoDonut". Some of the songs have been good too, but that's about it. I really wish they had at least contacted some of the original writers as revisionists or something for the scripts, because this does not feel like Animaniacs to me, especially with the lack of supporting cast (and no, joking about it doesn't make it okay). I think what bugged me the most really, besides having nothing but political jokes for the majority of the gags, was the gross out humor, which wasn't there much in the original (especially not to this degree) like no, I don't want to see it's like something out of season 6 of SpongeBob, cripes... I could get even more nitpicky like with the theme song zingers being sometimes overly verbose, but I've probably rambled enough.

It seems to have similar problems to Looney Tunes Cartoons, actually. That too had too many of the same gags repeated (Bugs joking about shoes being off season, the amount of times skeletons got removed from bodies, etc) but also in terms of the animation gags. Not to derail, my point is that modern cartoonists just don't understand anything about old cartoons. This feels more like something you'd get in Ren & Stimpy.. And I know that show was very influential, but I genuinely believe it's skewed people's idea of what old cartoons are like, and just tend to remember that more than anything else. "Ah yeah the 90s, that was like... all gross stuff right?" -probably the Animaniacs writers. It just feels like they didn't bother at all to watch the original series or at least understand what kind of humor they went for. I see so many people online going "yeah Animaniacs was always this political" or "Animaniacs was always about pop culture jokes" when it really wasn't. There was always so much more than that. They did educational bits, historical bits, parody bits. It was a variety show, hence the large cast. But all that's been lost here, and it's just an entirely different show. The way I can sum up the show is "lol reboot", "lol politics", "lol gross out" and that's it... And it's really sad. I wish they'd stop rebooting stuff just because it will sell, instead of having genuine reason for it, with proper love and care.

Edit: Spoiler tags aren't working, great :/
Hmmm... To me it looks like you wouldn't have liked the original Animaniacs if you had been an adult in the 90s.

The current Animaniacs doesn't make references to the 80s and 90s the same way the original Animaniacs didn't make much references to the 50s and 60s. (AFAIK)

CartoonLover2604

Jerk, Dinger, Bling blong.
I hope this means the other characters can possibly come back in season three since I believe someone on the crew hinted at it on Twitter, (though I won't complain if that isn't the case)...

powerjake

Banned
This Animaniacs reboot is yet another example of how this era is having too much unoriginal nostalgia reboots.

disneyphilip

As long as they bring back the other characters.

And while they're at it, they need to fire Wellesley Wild and bring Tom Ruegger back as showrunner. Wild has ruined Animaniacs and he and his crew do not understand the show or the characters. Heck, I even doubt that Wild and his crew even watched the original show and are obviously way too woke to run such a show.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts