Are people really upset about Boomerang being changed?

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
@Dan's Revenge Well, Boom definitely is more interesting out of the two. I'll give you that. But in the end it's the same thing, same problem, and compared to the variety Boom used to have a decade+ ago it's just nowhere as good even though it could be.

Dan's Revenge

List keeper
@Dan's Revenge Well, Boom definitely is more interesting out of the two. I'll give you that. But in the end it's the same thing, same problem, and compared to the variety Boom used to have a decade+ ago it's just nowhere as good even though it could be.

Indeed. I miss the days before pretty much all these networks decided to air hour long broadcasts at a time for each show. There just can't be 30m at a time anymore - even if they repeated later on same episode or different, good times. (I'll give kudos to Disney though in regards to kids networks, looking at their active schedules I see plenty of 30m-at-a-time broadcasts) -- Not saying 1 hour at a time is a bad thing, but depending on how long you keep a show on whether it's ratings are good or not, it gets tiring.

DVDLooney

Checkerboard pretty much said what I was going to say, since Boomerang/Cartoon Network may have some kind of relationship with those 60s and later cartoons. Still a mystery to me - could it be because of the black maid in the earlier shorts (Mammy Two Shoes) raised some concerns? She already was revoiced by Thea Vidale (Is that her last name?) when Turner bought the rights to Tom and Jerry back around 1991/1992 and I think that's a fair trade for public viewing. Why else would they do this? It's been like this since 2005. It's very frustrating when probably the only worth watching thing on Boomerang along with the Looney Tunes classic cartoons and earlier cartoon cartoons shows is lacking in quality. It causes some people like me grief. I'm trying to find some Tom and Jerry VHS from MGM/UA and until then this is going to be very annoying to deal with. Already got the golden collection but that's it.

That would explain why I haven't seen neither Texas Tom or Cruise Cat during Tom and Jerry and neither cartoon features Mammy at all.

The new guy

Y'all folks out there would be surprised with the amount of people upset about this rebrand, yes I know for a fact, even a couple of my friends who were into this channel were like "I'm so done with this channel...", get ready for the "R.I.P. Boomerang 2000-2015" trend, and yeah @Pac-Attack since the schedule change and the blocks being removed in June 2014, the schedule has been the same repetitiveness and lack of variety just like CN's schedule.

Add the fact that you even have the Cartoon Cartoon/ended CN original reruns (except for PPG & Foster's Home) removed from the network in place for TTGO and Amazing World of Gumball joining the lineup, which does NOT belong on Boomerang period. I don't even think Grojband or Numchucks should be on Boomerang to some extent either. Think of all the Cartoon Cartoons or ended CN originals out there that could join the lineup any day.

These reasons are making the folks a lot more pissed off about this rebrand. A lot of people don't realize that Boomerang is NO LONGER a predominantly HB rerun channel anymore, it rebranded completely as a ad-supported network, meaning that the channel is taking a new direction now. Think there's not enough classics on the network now (another than Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry, or Looney Tunes), wait until the next few years when Boomerang starts having more original programming and acquisitions for the network.

But personally for me, I don't like the rebrand either. Unless the schedule improves and adds more variety to the lineup, I have no hope for Boomerang in the future. Here's another Boomerang rant I'll post down here too and you'll see a lot more comments and complaints about the rebrand on this one!

[video=youtube;9ulJp4sZwwU]https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=9ulJp4sZwwU
I know I am late asking this but what if Stuart Snyder was the still the president and wasn't replaced by Christina miller when the boomerang rebrand happened would it be different or it would still be the same

RegularCapital

Staff member
I know I am late asking this but what if Stuart Snyder was the still the president and wasn't replaced by Christina miller when the boomerang rebrand happened would it be different or it would still be the same

It happened early in Christina Miller's tenure, so the Boomerang rebrand was one of the first things she did, same with Tom Ascheim and Cartoonito. Not sure if it was already in the works before then or she was secretly in the role.

Christina's legacy was mixed, shame it was tainted by the ongoing mess caused by the AT&T merger.

The new guy

The same.
Ok but why do you think it would be the same and not different
It happened early in Christina Miller's tenure, so the Boomerang rebrand was one of the first things she did, same with Tom Ascheim and Cartoonito. Not sure if it was already in the works before then or she was secretly in the role.

Christina's legacy was mixed, shame it was tainted by the ongoing mess caused by the AT&T merger.
DO you think all the previous presidents did a better job than her and was she your least favourite president

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
The future of Boomerang is Boomerang Online, which is likely fated to eventually become a window on HBO Max (WB is putting lot of money into this streaming service hoping for it to compete with Netflix and Disney+ and the studio will likely not see the point of keeping Boom Online floating around as a separate entity).

Boomerang the channel doesn't have a future; it's been on autopilot for years and it's clear that Warner Bros. has no plans to revive or revamp the channel. It'll probably just quietly go off the air with little to no fanfare. Personally, I believe the only reason why Boomerang (again, the channel) is still around today is because WB doesn't have anything to replace it with.

Last edited:

Markus Nelis

I don't think Boomerang shuts down anytime soon. It's basically a backup of CN with the shows CN won't air nowadays like Tom and Jerry and Looney Tunes content so pretty much there's a channel dedicated to this stuff.

Even if there's no future for this channel, they'll still keep having the channel to air stuff CN don't air now.

HombreSinNombre

Forgive My Past
I would speculate that it becomes Cartoonito but who knows? Changes likely coming to the whole of the cable portfolio when Warner Bros. Discovery becomes reality.

RegularCapital

Staff member
Ok but why do you think it would be the same and not different

DO you think all the previous presidents did a better job than her and was she your least favourite president
They all had challenges and made silly mistakes, I often defend Stuart Snyder because he greenlit Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe etc. which people often forget about, they remember the negative but hardly ever the positive.

Christina Miller ran Cartoon Network like a business, she was doing her job, she worked for Cartoon Network Enterprises, which is CN's product licensing division, hence the push to bring back The Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10 for the purpose of merchandise, the PPG reboot was a mistake but Ben 10 wasn't.

Although controversial, the TTG schedule apocalypse was crazy, but it actually made some sense from a business point of view, TTG was very popular (although largely berated by original Teen Titans fans) and guaranteed views, if anyone wanted to watch something else, there's always the CN App. It didn't particularly help that the slow AT&T merger process put a halt to investment and led to cancellations. TTG's popularity was also probably a factor that led to the need for Cartoon Network to operate directly under Warner Bros., rather than the quasi first-party arrangement between Turner and Warner Bros.

Last edited:

The new guy

They all had challenges and made silly mistakes, I often defend Stuart Snyder because he greenlit Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe etc. which people often forget about, they remember the negative but hardly ever the positive.

Christina Miller ran Cartoon Network like a business, she was doing her job, she worked for Cartoon Network Enterprises, which is CN's product licensing division, hence the push to bring back The Powerpuff Girls and Ben 10 for the purpose of merchandise, the PPG reboot was a mistake but Ben 10 wasn't.

Although controversial, the TTG schedule apocalypse was crazy, but it actually made some sense from a business point of view, TTG was very popular (although largely berated by original Teen Titans fans) and guaranteed views, if anyone wanted to watch something else, there's always the CN App. It didn't particularly help that the AT&T merger put a halt to investment.
Yes Stuart Snyder did give us good shows and had variety even though he gave us live action shows and the live action made sense and Christina miller gave us some good shows like Craig of the creek Victor and Valentino Mao Mao and even greenlit infinity train but the biggest problem is that she focused on the app rather than on the channel I think she should have not only focused on the app but the channel too because the channel needed to get more ratings so if she focused on also the channel the network would have been in a better place a few years ago because the channel is also important not just the app and it was also in a bad place but she also did some good things to the network like I said and gave us the Samurai Jack revival although she wasn't great as the previous presidents were

Markus Nelis

Miller in my opinion wasn't the worst president ever. She had a good business strategy. Promoting the app and focusing on it made sense as in a interview she said that kids touch their screens on their phones. Even when CN's ratings started to get low, so did Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. It just made sense to promote the app so they can use a larger platform before the channel was losing even more viewers.

We shouldn't blame her for terrible schedules since she wasn't doing these decisions alone. We should know by now that there are always executives as well.

She greenlit good shows too.

She was doing a good job for sure. Again don't blame her for schedules since Vishnu was the one who ran the schedules for the most part. After all he was scheduling CN Asia before with all that Oggy spam.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I would speculate that it becomes Cartoonito but who knows? Changes likely coming to the whole of the cable portfolio when Warner Bros. Discovery becomes reality.
Anything is possible, but I don't see Warner Bros. just turning Boomerang into a Cartoonito channel. WB clearly wants the Cartoonito block to air on CN during the daytime hours. Also, Cartoonito shows can be seen on HBO Max. There'd be no need to run the block on Boomerang, which is in fewer homes than CN is and doesn't even have a West Coast feed.

The new guy

Miller in my opinion wasn't the worst president ever. She had a good business strategy. Promoting the app and focusing on it made sense as in a interview she said that kids touch their screens on their phones. Even when CN's ratings started to get low, so did Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. It just made sense to promote the app so they can use a larger platform before the channel was losing even more viewers.

We shouldn't blame her for terrible schedules since she wasn't doing these decisions alone. We should know by now that there are always executives as well.

She greenlit good shows too.

She was doing a good job for sure. Again don't blame her for schedules since Vishnu was the one who ran the schedules for the most part. After all he was scheduling CN Asia before with all that Oggy spam.
Yes she greenlit and gave us good shows too and I wouldn't blame her for the scheduling since most of the scheduling is done by Vishnu like you said and it made sense to promote the app because like you said that kids touch their screens on their phones and she gave us other good things but she also should have put more effort into the channel because the channel is still there and it is also important and even if nickelodeon and Disney channel ratings are going down she should have also put more effort into the channel because the channel wouldn't have become in a very bad place yes it would have become bad because cable is on the decline but it would have been in a better place at least a little bit I respect your opinion if you disagree with me though

hobo 7

I was in middle school when Boomerang rebranded in 2015. I was happy when Boomerang rebranded because I thought Turner would finally breathe new life into the channel, but honestly, the lack of variety on the channel and the way the channel was basically homogenized internationally makes me think they should have just kept it as the classic animation channel.

It still needed a graphic refresh after using the same bumpers for 15 years, but I just wish it wasn't so.....what's the word, sugary? I don't know, maybe I'm just getting older. I don't even watch a lot of kids TV now, except if it's an old show I thought was cool when I was younger.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I don't know. I stopped watching Boomerang since 2011 due to being so repetitive it was. I thought the rebrand was going to change things for the channel, but turns out I was wrong.

Boomerang is completely dead to me.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
I don't know. I stopped watching Boomerang since 2011 due to being so repetitive it was. I thought the rebrand was going to change things for the channel, but turns out I was wrong.

Yeah, there's literally no reason to watch Boomerang now. The 1990s Cartoon-Cartoons are now streaming on HBO Max (maybe not every one of them, but enough of them, at least for me), and the "old school" Cartoon Network shows are on Boomerang Online. Boom is just CN's recycle bin. Beyond that, the channel serves no purpose.

I watched Wabbit/New Looney Tunes on Boomerang back in 2019, but Boom only showed about 20 episodes and would repeat them ad nausea. The following year we subscribed to HBO Max, which is streaming New Looney Tunes.

Sam the Cartoonist

Around that time, it was mostly the promos that were repetitive which didn't bother me much as a kid since I would get to watch classic cartoons that weren't shown on the main CN channel. Plus, during the last few years before Boomerang's rebrand, they did air different bumpers and shorts.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Around that time, it was mostly the promos that were repetitive which didn't bother me much as a kid since I would get to watch classic cartoons that weren't shown on the main CN channel. Plus, during the last few years before Boomerang's rebrand, they did air different bumpers and shorts.
Yeah, I know, but still.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.

Featured Posts