Are There More Female Same Sex Relationships In Animation Compared To Male Same Sex Relationships

SweetShop209

So, with LGBTQ content being being made more common in animation, one question I saw is if there are more female sex relationships than male same sex relationships (either confirmed or hinting at a potential relationship), whether a major element to the show or a minor element. Let me explain.

We have shows like Steven Universe with Ruby and Sapphire's wedding (amongst other things), Harley Quinn with Harley and Ivy getting together in the season 2 finale after confirming their feelings for each other, She Ra And The Princesses Of Power with Adora and Catra getting together, The Legend Of Korra with Korra and Asami getting together, Adventure Time with Marceline and Princess Bubblegum getting together, and Cleopatra In Space with how Akila has two mothers. The Owl House is also building up a romantic relationship between Luz and Amity. Even with minor or one shot characters, it still seems to be mainly female. For example, it's revealed in My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic that Scootaloo has two aunts (first revealed in a graphic novel before appearing in The Last Crusade). The DC Superhero Girls 2019 episode "House Pest" shows that Jessica Cruz has two mothers. The Doc McStuffins episode "The Emergency Plan" showed a doll family with two mothers. The TOTS episode "Night At The Nursery/Seas The Day" shows that Oki the otter and Donny the dolphin each have 2 mothers.

By contrast, what about male same sex relationships? The only examples I can think of off the top of my head are Clyde's dads on The Loud House, Bow's dads on She Ra And The Princesses Of Power, Benson being gay on Kipo And The Age Of Wonder Beasts, and Nia from The Bravest Knight having 2 fathers, Sir Cedric and Prince Andrew.

This does make one curious. What do you think?

Alexsketchy2004

Alex Dee
I have a theory on why Male same sex relationships are a bit scarce, and why Female same sex relationship is more prominent

I feel that it is because lesbians are more Fetichisized by a lot of people

Or at least that's what i think

Corwin Haught

Maybe it's more due to evangelical types being more concerned about "turning boys gay". There's also a general mood about featuring more woman characters.

SweetShop209

I guess it could also be because that most media tends to make female characters more openly emotional, and thus have less difficulty in writing same sex relationships with females since they can show more open emotion. It could also be because some of the same sex female relationships could be because of many prominent lesbian/bisexual women helping to develop these characters

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
A relationship between two men implies gay intercourse, which is illegal in many countries and used to be forbidden almost everywhere.

A relationship between two women is accepted in most of the world. (but not everywhere)

Dr.Pepper

Adam from the Netflix series The Hallows was gay. I don’t think he was in a relationship (I didn’t watch all of season 2), he just mentioned it in passing.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
By contrast, what about male same sex relationships? The only examples I can think of off the top of my head are Clyde's dads on The Loud House, Bow's dads on She Ra And The Princesses Of Power, Benson being gay on Kipo And The Age Of Wonder Beasts, and Nia from The Bravest Knight having 2 fathers, Sir Cedric and Prince Andrew.

Well Violet (and adopted sister Lena) has two dads in the 2017 Ducktales series and Sheriff Blubs and Officer Durland in Gravity Falls were revealed as gay in the series finale of that show. If we're talking more adult series (since you mentioned Harley Quinn) there's Big Gay Al and Mr. Slave in South Park, along with Brian's cousin Jasper and Julio in Family Guy among a few examples.

That said yeah there does seem to be a focus on especially in children's media now being more okay showing a same sex female couple then a male couple when there probably should be a bit more balance. In addition to what others said about it being more socially acceptable world wide, a lot of series creators being gay or bi women or women being seen as generally more emotional anyway so makes sense to have a focus on that kind of coupling, I think it's also because the idea of subtly putting it in kids shows (as in not just characters who were stated to be gay like say the Principal in Jimmy Neutron but ones who had an actual partner we saw on screen) started with female coupling and thus since that's still apparently such a hot topic it still being pushed while leaving less room to explore male on male relationships. Which really should be pushed too but eh sadly this is one of those changes that is still happening slowly in that actually having any representation on the big or small screen in animation generated towards children is still a big deal so maybe when it becomes more the norm we'll see more gay couples of all kind in western animation.

GrantM

A relationship between two men implies gay intercourse, which is illegal in many countries and used to be forbidden almost everywhere.

A relationship between two women is accepted in most of the world. (but not everywhere)
I'd never thought I'd see the day intercourse was mentioned on this forum but here we are!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

It's fun to see James Sie talk about Jackie Chan Adventures.

No mention for Sam & Cat nor Wendell & Vinnie since those two also premiered in 2013.
Since it's the animated show that was produced in France, ''Xiaolin Chronicles'' sure deserves a redub into English. Do you want to see this happening?
Norm of the North was released 7 years ago today.
The paradigm shift of “it’s 2011 and I want all my cancelled shows back on TV!” to “you better not so much as GLANCE at Moral Orel.”

Featured Posts