AS Losing Nearly All of Their Fox Shows

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Adult Swim was probably the last cable network that aired Family Guy (King of the Hill too, minus the 4:3 stretching) the perfect way, with only one ad break during the show and unedited. I like how respectful they are to their content, the only other Turner network that good is TCM.

I think Adult Swim is probably the only cable network left that only airs one ad break during a show. Really amazing they have stuck that long to that.

veemonjosh

Battle Tendency
I think Adult Swim is probably the only cable network left that only airs one ad break during a show. Really amazing they have stuck that long to that.
Also possibly the only cable network left that still runs credits fullscreen and (except on Toonami) without being sped up.

SG-17

If Adult Swim needs to fill its 9pm-11pm block with stuff that isn't TV-MA it should just air Cartoon Cartoons.

Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Edd Edd n Eddy, Cow and Chicken.

All of them are zany enough for stoners to appreciate (is AS still the "Stoner Network"?) and appropriate for younger audiences to watch.

FTPC

First Star Wars, then Craig McCracken, then Pokemon, and now Family Guy.

View attachment 291057

"Ahh, Cartoon Network. Once again we see there is nothing you possess which I cannot take away. Ha ha!"
Disney + is NOT buying pokemon and I have no idea why Disney plus would buy family Family guy and American dad and The clevend show belong hbo
max

If Adult Swim needs to fill its 9pm-11pm block with stuff that isn't TV-MA it should just air Cartoon Cartoons.

Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Edd Edd n Eddy, Cow and Chicken.

All of them are zany enough for stoners to appreciate (is AS still the "Stoner Network"?) and appropriate for younger audiences to watch.

I looked on the AS schedule for Saturday before Toonami and it is not good Final Space and Rick and Morty are ok but the schedule is near death look for September 25

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Disney + is NOT buying pokemon and I have no idea why Disney plus would buy family Family guy and American dad and The clevend show belong hbo
max
I was referring to the most recent Pokemon series airing on Disney XD instead of Cartoon Network.

A couple of years ago, Disney bought out the entertainment properties of 20th Century Fox, which includes Family Guy, The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, and a bunch of other shows. They're not very keen on sharing, so they're moving them all to Freeform as well as the FX channels, which also came with the deal.

And Family Guy is already on Hulu, which Disney owns a chunk of.

Zorak Masaki

I looked on the AS schedule for Saturday before Toonami and it is not good Final Space and Rick and Morty are ok but the schedule is near death look for September 25

Joe Pera Talks To You as the opener of the block? At least the Brak Show (which should be opening the block) is returning.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Joe Pera is only going to open the block for a single week before AS loses 8pm for the holidays (and probably for good).

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Eighteen years. Eighteen consistent years that brought this show into unbelievable popularity and Turner was mostly responsible for that. The relevancy that Adult Swim gave this show worked wonders. The show pretty much helped AS become more than just an adult block.

And all that remains is American Dad and Bob's Burgers.

Also, technically The Simpsons appeared on the network via the FG crossover. Seeing that on Adult Swim was surreal.

And now we wait on the next show AS can use for the ratings besides Rick and Morty.

FTPC

toonami and rick and morty and final space are the only shows that can save {AS}

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
ICYMI:

And with that, the remainder of Family Guy shuffles off to FXX.

Definitely the end of an era. I thought the "death of Adult Swim" would be with the end of "Attack on Titan", but this feels kind of "The End".

Adult Swim "Golden Age" arguably ended when "King of the Hill" joined the block in January, 2009 (or when the final episode of "Death Note" aired in 2008), but this is either the end of the Silver Age or Bronze Age. I'm still breaking down the different "eras" in my head.

Cable channels are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
They will have other hits.

They already have Rick and Morty.

So long as they keep treating Tuca & Bertie right, the potential there is limitless.

And they seem to have a lot of faith in Teenage Euthanasia (there's a phrase I'd never thought I'd type):

The partnership of Adult Swim and Fox was mutually beneficial, bringing two shows back from cancellation and putting a cable network on the map. But it wasn't going to last forever.

Now that Family Guy is gone, and soon Bob's Burgers and maybe American Dad with it, the ball is now in their court. If they play their cards right, they won't even need those shows anymore.

Last edited:

harry580

well, why can't adult swim make a family guy esque show to replace the family guy reruns?

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
I think the legacy of the Adult Swim resurrection of Family Guy and Futurama is a bigger deal than most people are even talking about. Sure, it's responsible for making both shows commercially viable and allowing AS to compete as a top cable network, but it goes far beyond that. It solidified AS's reputation as the premier renegade TV network that only played by it's own rules and didn't talk down to its audience. It was just a few weeks after FG reruns started airing (4/20/2003) that AS started doing the text bumps (5/25/2003) and talking directly to the audience in a frank, unpolished manner.

This was an unprecedented development for audiences who for decades had suffered from the cold, unfeeling had of big networks cancelling their favorite lesser-known shows without seeming to have any understanding of them. The fact that AS actually did a full 180 reversal of this trend, and actually talked about it (among other relevant topics of the day) during the course of their nightly broadcasts, proved that it was actually possible for a show that couldn't initially garner traditional success with basic Nielsen counts among typically lazy prime-time programming strategies that just hoped fans of an existing hit would naturally gravitate to a new show, because of nothing more than timeslot proximity, to actually find it's audience with a direct, in-your-face approach that sought to draw an audience to it by building brand loyalty.

It was largely a foreign concept to the TV network landscape before this moment, but why do people like us on this forum and others still watch AS and Toonami to this day? We don't really need either anymore, but we do because of the fondness we grew for them in the way they presented themselves to us, like they were one of us. FG and Futurama were the first shows to tangibly benefit from this, but not the last. Arguably the show that put Netflix on the map and make viewers take notice was their revival of Arrested Development - another beloved but underappreciated weird show that the traditional network couldn't figure out what to do with, brought back to life by someone that was offering itself to viewers in a new way that sought to break the tyranny of the masses. Netflix's entire business model today is based on this microtargeting approach to audiences.

The irony is that this success has largely come back around to make AS and networks like it obsolete. They probably didn't even realize at the time that they had perfectly positioned themselves for the massive tsunami of social media that was about to crash, which only amplified the voices of these fans of marginally popular shows even more. But by proving that you could find big success with many small groups instead of always trying to find the few big groups, they just encouraged the already emerging streaming technology that Netflix brought in dominant force, which ultimately broke down the barrier between content and fans even more than AS did in 2003. Now that they can just give us what we want directly, whenever we want, by scrolling through a menu, there's not really a need for a linear broadcaster to talk to us once per commercial break with a black-and-white text placard.

And what was once novel now becomes tired, and really, you could say that about both AS the network and FG the show.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
well, why can't adult swim make a family guy esque show to replace the family guy reruns?
They don't NEED to make a Family Guy clone.

They made Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
They made The Venture Bros.
They made Robot Chicken.
They made Metalocalypse, The Boondocks, Rick and Morty.
They gave Home Movies and Tuca & Bertie a new home.
They let Genndy Tartakovsky finish Samurai Jack, and then he made Primal.
They're even making their own anime now.

Why make a ratings-conscious copy of a show you just lost the rights to when you have a track record like this?

Last edited:

harry580

They don't NEED to make a Family Guy clone.

They made Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
They made The Venture Bros.
They made Robot Chicken.
They made Metalocalypse, The Boondocks, Rick and Morty.
They gave Home Movies and Tuca & Bertie a new home.
They let Genndy Tartakovsky finish Samurai Jack, and then he made Primal.
They're even making their own anime now.

Why make a ratings-conscious copy of a show they just lost the rights to when you have a track record like this?
look, the reason why I said that because someone said adult swim needs a show that gets the best ratings

SpaceCowboy

The partnership of Adult Swim and Fox was mutually beneficial, bringing two shows back from cancellation and putting a cable network on the map. But it wasn't going to last forever.
Frankly, I think it was unprecedented that Rupert Murdoch would get tired of 20thCF and sell it off to a company that is notorious for keeping acquired shows for itself bought from other companies.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
look, the reason why I said that because someone said adult swim needs a show that gets the best ratings

Rick & Morty is that show right now. Their previous big comedy shows were The Boondocks and Robot Chicken.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I definitely wouldn't be relying on weaksauce fare, both in looks and writing quality especially, like Teenage Euthanasia, that's for sure..... This regime SO HAS TO DO BETTER than that, honestly, from what I've watched of it so far.
Tuca and Bertie is superior to that example - I wholeheartedly mean that and bring on S3 of it, whenever that comes around.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Streaker Prower wrote on LinusFan303's profile.
Hey LinusFan303, What did you just said about Kickoff to Christmas on "Freeform (Formerly ABC Family)" Network Thread! I know that Kickoff To Christmas will happen this year, I just wait for the Schedule to happen.
Happy 52nd birthday to Vanessa Marshall.
My tweet become banger?? how?

Did a search for Woody Woodpecker this morning, and I found this...

Featured Posts