Barbie Netflix/YouTube Projects (News And Discussion Thread)

SweetShop209

The Barbie franchise has had a strong presence on the direct to DVD market and YouTube. Starting in the second half of 2017, the franchise would start releasing non-Youtube content onto Netflix, which is what this thread is about. It's about all Barbie projects being released onto Netflix, though talks about YouTube content from the official channel are also welcome. Let's go into it.

It all started with the movie Barbie: Dolphin Magic, which came out September 18, 2017, and the movie line up would go on hiatus for 3 years. This would then be followed up by the TV series Barbie: Dreamhouse Adventures, which ran for 52 episodes from May 3, 2018 to April 12, 2020. This series follows regular Barbie Roberts in Malibu, California as she goes on all sorts of adventures with her family and friends in a relatively realistic world. There's high school, big trips, and all the works.

The movie line would resume with Barbie: Princess Adventure on September 1, 2020 in order to have the subsequent movies take place in the world of Barbie: Dreamhouse Adventures, and it seems like 2 movies a year is the norm now. In 2021, we would see the release of Barbie And Chelsea: The Lost Birthday and Barbie: Big City, Big Dreams. The latter movie is about the regular Barbie Roberts meeting a black girl in New York who has the same name when they're both attending the Handler Performing Arts Academy. After becoming friends, they nickname themselves Malibu and Brooklyn respectively, named after their home towns. The latter movie would be followed up by a 26 episode TV show called Barbie: It Takes Two that came out on April 8, 2022. This series follows Malibu and Brooklyn as they live in New York and try to make it big as music stars with their friend/manager Rafa.

There's currently rumors of two more movies coming later this year, Barbie: Mermaid Power and Barbie: Epic Road Trip, but not much else is known. And that's all I have so far. What do you think of the Barbie projects on Netflix?

Last edited:

Mandouga

It could be either or, really. With what Netflix has recently done, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mattel (who owns to the movies and TV shows directly) takes It Takes Two (at least) somewhere else.

As for the rumors, I can’t really comment until Mattel confirms that those movies actually exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

I'm pretty sure Barbie It Takes Two is staying on Netflix given how advertisements made it clear that the show is 26 episodes, and they wouldn't just put the other 13 episodes somewhere else. Given how the show is going for a longer plot of Malibu and Brooklyn becoming famous (although the episodes are still standalone), it's not a bad number for a show like this on Netflix.

Edit: It seems like the Mermaid Power movie might be a real thing given these Walmart pages for mermaid themed toys. They wouldn't advertise something like this without some kind of project.

Screenshot_20220506-033336.png

Screenshot_20220506-033422.png

Screenshot_20220506-033442.png

Last edited:

the_joker

I remember seeing commercials of these movies back in the old days, and now I remember that they exist. I'm surprised she didn't get a tv show sooner. I wonder if I should check this out, but I'll admit that the "girliness" can feel like a turnoff, and Barbie is probably the "girliest" of them all.

On a tangential note, I have been watching some Polly Pocket, a toyline also from Mattel, and I used to watch MLP: Friendship is Magic, and those shows are probably "girly", so I probably have no idea what I think.

SweetShop209

So I found this post on the Barbie Movies wiki which highlights the key difference between Dreamhouse Adventures and It Takes Two. It's interesting to say the least. Put simply, while both shows have episodes that deliver morals and have a clear beginning, middle, and end, Dreamhouse Adventures is episodic and character driven with an ensemble cast and some continuity while It Takes Two is more plot driven and focuses more specifically on Malibu and Brooklyn.

Mandouga

I personally think that the reason Barbie didn’t have a TV show all this time is because, among other things, Mattel doesn’t want her to become known for just one thing (“You can be anything”,* after all). The closest Barbie ever came to getting a TV show was when she and some of her friends starred in two direct-to-video specials in 1987, where they were a rock band called “Barbie and the Rockers” (“Rockin’ out, we’re totally in the groove!…”).

As for Mermaid Power, if it is a real Barbie movie and Barbie of Brooklyn is in it, then this would likely mean it will be set between episodes 13 and 14 of It Takes Two, or after the entire series depending on when it comes out.

*And you can, too. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

I do think Dreamhouse Adventures is kind of the image of Barbie that Mattel has been pushing forth. I mean, compare to when the vlogs started in 2015 and were done in a style that I think is motion capture, and mainly existed in their own universe. Jump to 2019, and the animation is changed to be exactly like Dreamhouse Adventures, with elements and characterizations that either started or were solidified in that series fully carrying over to everything since then. I mean, you never saw any of the movies borrowing elements from the YouTube shorts Barbie: Life In The Dreamhouse or the more preschool oriented Barbie: Dreamtopia, but starting with Barbie: Princess Adventure, elements and characters from that series would carry over to future projects in some way. Even the non-vlog YouTube shorts done in different styles still use elements and voice actors from that series.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

I'm pretty sure Barbie It Takes Two is staying on Netflix given how advertisements made it clear that the show is 26 episodes, and they wouldn't just put the other 13 episodes somewhere else. Given how the show is going for a longer plot of Malibu and Brooklyn becoming famous (although the episodes are still standalone), it's not a bad number for a show like this on Netflix.

Edit: It seems like the Mermaid Power movie might be a real thing given these Walmart pages for mermaid themed toys. They wouldn't advertise something like this without some kind of project.

View attachment 296503

View attachment 296504

View attachment 296505
So there's this fan website which links to the dolls pictured here, as well as mermaid forms for Stacie and Chelsea. The links are to Amazon Prime. This basically confirms the movie being a real thing.

SweetShop209

I was kind of surprised at this being a sequel to Barbie: Dolphin Magic given how Isla is mentioned in the description. Then I found this article saying how that movie is meant to be a pilot movie to Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures. Looking back, it does feel like something the show would do despite Isla explicitly being a mermaid while the show itself is more down to earth and doesn't reference the movie. I would call this a retcon, but then Barbie And Chelsea The Lost Birthday brought in magical/fantastical elements (even if only Chelsea interacted with them), so I'll believe anything. According to the Barbie Movies Wiki, both Isla and Marlo are in this movie, which makes me wonder who their new voice actors are due to fully switching over to an American voice actors starting with the series.

SweetShop209

Barbie: Epic Road Trip comes out October 25. It's the interactive project that Conrad Helten teased on his LinkedIn page. I'm pretty sure the ending of Barbie: It Takes Two will factor into this.

SweetShop209

So this website shows merchandise for some kind of movie called Skipper: Big Babysitting Adventure. It has the word "Netflix" on it and everything, making me confident that this is a real thing. It looks pretty interesting, and will help expand Skipper's character even more. This blog website is known for getting pictures of merchandise before a project is officially announced, and that it's usually confirmed sometime later. Some examples include the merchandise for Barbie: Mermaid Power (with the girls looking like how they are in the movie) and the YouTube series Barbie: Life In The City.

SweetShop209

1. Mattel has signed a multi year deal to make more Barbie content for Netflix.

2. Barbie Epic Road Trip is written by franchise veteran Ann Austen (who's once again co-executive producer) and freelance writer Aury Wallington (who briefly wrote on Gravity Falls, wrote the Nickelodeon movie Jinxed, and is showrunner for Spirit Riding Free) and directed by franchise veteran Conrad Helten.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I just want to say that I totally called it that Diamond White could voice Moon Girl 3 years in advance.

Today i learned that David Cronenberg (The Fly, Scanners) has a son who’s also a director and i saw a very psychedelic arthouse film made by him called Infinity Pool. I hope he becomes a more high profile director some day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to people who don’t watch arthouse movies though. It’s also very adult-oriented if you know what i mean
Update on the M&M's situation. He has reliable sources in this video.
Review Metabee wrote on DaGangOfToonz's profile.
is there any chance you are stoonsarchvie/sheetposter

Featured Posts