"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
The reason we know about it at all is because Kevin Smith couldn't keep his fool mouth shut and put out bad information about a BTAS relaunch that was utter b.s.. This show probably wasn't meant to be revealed for another couple of years but Smith ruined it.

As far as I'm concerned, they owe us nothing yet.
The fact that it's premiering in 2023 along with MAWS tells me that they're still probably deep in production at this point. Like, I assume if they had had more they would've shown it off at FanDome.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The fact that it's premiering in 2023 along with MAWS tells me that they're still probably deep in production at this point. Like, I assume if they had had more they would've shown it off at FanDome.
I think it 2023 is optimistic. They might have moved up their timetable because of Smith's assery, which is the wrong move. I think it's probably gonna debut in 2024 or even 2025. Smith ruined it for all of us.

Frontier

Staff member
I think it 2023 is optimistic. They might have moved up their timetable because of Smith's assery, which is the wrong move. I think it's probably gonna debut in 2024 or even 2025. Smith ruined it for all of us.
I doubt Kevin Smith had anything to do with the premier date or effected the production at all, they said 2023 at FanDome so I assume that will be the case.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I doubt Register or anyone at WB is too concerned with whatever Kevin Smith says or does on his podcast. They revealed it exactly when they were ready. ALL shows get announced super early these days.

Seems to be a two year window based on most shows.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
The fact that it's premiering in 2023 along with MAWS tells me that they're still probably deep in production at this point.
They're definitely still in production at this point. Don't forget that they were advertising for several production positions on Caped Crusader at WBA back in early March. I submitted almost immediately and I haven't heard anything back yet. Neither have any of the other applicants I'm in touch with, and I'm told that's not necessarily unusual.

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
New podcast interview with Ed Brubaker on ''Word Balloon with John Siuntres''. Batman: Caped Crusader talk begins @66:25 minutes in.

Some of the highlights:
- Currently working on the scripts for the last couple of episodes this season.
- First voice recording will begin very soon.
- Timm and Tucker have been casting the voices for the last couple of months.
- Brubaker reached out to Timm for freelancing opportunities and was surprised when he suggested the gig of head writer on Caped Crusader. Although Brubaker still had to interview and Timm needed to jump through some hoops to land him the gig.
- It will be a PG show (Family audience). Slightly more adult than what was done before and very much a new take on Batman in the late 40's/early 50's era.

- The show will be getting animation samples from studios vying for the job soon and that side of it will be full steam ahead in a couple of months.
- Timm, Tucker and ''some other writer'' came up with the pitch for the show 2/3 years ago and they loosely followed that idea with Brubaker, ultimately building a ''new thing'' with them.
- It will remind you a lot of ''the other show'' (B:TAS) but will also shock you in the ways it is different.
- Greg Rucka is the writer of episode 2, which will be the first Renee Montoya episode.
- Ed Brubaker has written episode 4, which has ''Gotham Central'' moments focusing more on Gordon and the cops than Batman himself (although he stresses the show is not inspired by that run of comics).
- Scripts are roughly 30-34 pages (I don't know if that is slightly longer than the average 20 minute cartoon).

Apologies for the information dump. Just in case some may not have time to listen to the end of the interview.

Frontier

Staff member
New podcast interview with Ed Brubaker on ''Word Balloon with John Siuntres''. Batman: Caped Crusader talk begins @66:25 minutes in.

Some of the highlights:
- Currently working on the scripts for the last couple of episodes this season.
- First voice recording will begin very soon.
- Timm and Tucker have been casting the voices for the last couple of months.
- Brubaker reached out to Timm for freelancing opportunities and was surprised when he suggested the gig of head writer on Caped Crusader. Although Brubaker still had to interview and Timm needed to jump through some hoops to land him the gig.
- It will be a PG show (Family show). Slightly more adult than what was done before and very much a new take on Batman in the late 40's/early 50's era.

- The show will be getting animation samples from studios vying for the job soon and that side of it will be full steam ahead in a couple of months.
- Timm, Tucker and ''some other writer'' came up with the pitch for the show 2/3 years ago and they loosely followed that idea with Brubaker, ultimately building a ''new thing'' with them.
- It will remind you a lot of ''the other show'' (B:TAS) but will also shock you in the ways it is different.
- Greg Rucka is the writer of episode 2, which will be the first Renee Montoya episode.
- Ed Brubaker has written episode 4, which has ''Gotham Central'' moments focusing more on Gordon and the cops than Batman himself (although he stresses the show is not inspired by that run of comics).
- Scripts are roughly 30-34 pages (I don't know if that is slightly longer than the average 20 minute cartoon).

Apologies for the information dump. Just in case some may not have time to listen to the end of the interview.
Considering all the questions about content, emphasizing it as a "family show" seems important. Considering what B:TAS was able to get away with, I'm curious how a slightly more adult take will look like, especially where they differentiate themselves from B:TAS o_O.

I guess that explains why we haven't heard any casting news, they've been working on that aspect for the past few months :).

I wonder who the "other writer" was...

I had a feeling Rucka would write a Montoya episode and Brubaker would write a Gotham Central-esque episode. Now he can actually use Jim Gordon though ;).

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
There are a lot of DCAU vets who aren't working on Caped Crusader. Dan Riba isn't. Kevin Altieri isn't. Storyboard artist Brad Rader isn't. Alan Burnett and Andrea Romano are both retired. I don't think that Paul Dini has even hinted that he might be working on Caped Crusader. AFAIK, James Tucker is the only other DCAU vet who's confirmed to be working on the show at this time.

So don't expect someone to definitively be working on the show just because they worked on BTAS or another DCAU project. Believe it when it's officially announced that they're working on the series.

BTW, I just went over to the IMDb page for Caped Crusader to double check who's listed as working on the series, and there's a description of the first episode up from a user identified as "Reggie":

Batman ventures into Gotham City's underworld when a sadistic killer leaves behind a trail of cryptic clues. As the evidence begins to lead closer to home and the scale of the perpetrator's plans become clear, he must forge new relationships, unmask the culprit and bring justice to the abuse of power and corruption that has long plagued the metropolis.

That sounds like someone just put a description of Matt Reeves' The Batman film into the Caped Crusader page as a placeholder, so take it with several large grains of salt.

Not too surprising, as Montoya is one of Greg Rucka's favorite characters. (He's the person who wrote the "Half a Life" story in Gotham Central, where Montoya was outed as a lesbian, and he was one of the writers on the limited series 52, where Renee Montoya became the Question.)

Again, very cool, as Brubaker is a great crime writer. I look forward to seeing what he does on the show!

On BTAS, scripts were roughly one page per minute of screen time, the same as in live action. (Most animated shows at that time were two pages of script per minute of screen time, IIRC.) AFAIK, Bruce Timm has stuck with that rule ever since.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged. Please use Edit or Multi-Quote instead of posting twice or more in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Some of the highlights:
Thank you for taking the time to type out a summary, Pfeiffer-Pfan. Glad he's so forthcoming with talking about the series. Good stuff. That's pretty funny how lo-tech Mr. Timm still is, printing out the script PDFs and writing notes in red and doodling ideas/rough boards.

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
That's pretty funny how lo-tech Mr. Timm still is, printing out the script PDFs and writing notes in red and doodling ideas/rough boards.
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but this makes perfect sense to me. Printing stuff out can be very helpful. I've printed out several articles of mine before proofing them, and you can spot a LOT more errors and awkward phrasings on a hard copy than you can by just staring at the same draft on a computer screen for the 1000th time.

And speaking as an artist, it's WAY easier to just grab a loose sheet of paper and quickly doodle something than it is to open a new file on your computer and start drawing something with a stylus. Drawing something on your computer can feel very official and permanent, but if you do a bad drawing on a sheet of paper? Just crumble it up and start over! It doesn't matter yet.

And if you do a GOOD drawing, great! Scan it in and refine it further from there. But it's very helpful to give yourself permission to be bad in any creative endeavor. A crappy rough draft you can work to improve is better than any hypothetically perfect final product that only exists in your head because you're too terrified to start.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
I'm no creative, but as an English teacher, I have to agree. I absolutely hate marking essays and exams digitally and I'm pretty proficient with technology. Give me pen and paper any day. Even when I'm doing essays, I write it on paper first and then type it up. Time consuming, but it just flows better.

Good on Timm for keeping a dying tradition alive.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Via Variety's write-up of the WB Animation panel at Annecy.
“Batman: Caped Crusader,” from executive producers Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves, looks from a very early lighting design image displayed at Annecy to skew much older in its dark and stylised noirish tones. Peter Girardi, WBA Animation EVP, alternative programming, described it as “an evolution of the ‘Batman: The Animated Series’ in technique and style.”

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Also fyi someone put fake info on the imdb cast. Tucker confirms with a "Yea I don’t know what compels people to lie on sites like IMDB" reply.
When I hear of a projects information being put on IMDb before it's released anywhere else, I always get skeptical about it. I'm just remembering over 10 years ago when I would see new animated series with no announced cast having about four entirely different cast listings switched around on IMDb within a week, and I just couldn't understand the drive behind putting out this fake information. Is it wishful thinking and they hope that this influences the casting choice? Is it just wanting to get one over on everyone else?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts