"Batman: Caped Crusader (Amazon Prime)" Animated Series News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaku-sempai

I assume even though this series this going to be set in the 1940s, they are going to avoid some of the social realities of that era (like Jim Crow laws) and have to be an alternate reality where the society is not segregated, but still has a 40s noir look and 40s technology. Also, I assume this be in the later 1940s, so it's not set during WW2.

So would most of the characterizations be carried over from BTAS? Would Mr. Freeze still have a frozen wife, Mad Hatter is still a creepy stalker, etc?
I'm not sure that this series is literally set in the 1940s. But I might be wrong.

colomb

Revelator

Loathsome spotted reptile
According to the article, "Brubaker is running the writers room along with Timm and is acting as Timm’s right hand. He is also earning an exec producer credit on the show, which The Hollywood Reporter has learned will have a 10-episode first season. Brubaker will be the head writer on the series."

Brubaker describes the show as "a slightly more pulpy take on the character, and a new way of looking at the world of Gotham, set in the past but viewed through a modern lens."

The Timm-drawn Batman included in the article is described as "early development art":

Ed-Brubaker-and-Batman-sketch-Publicity-H-2022.jpg

Frontier

Staff member
Ed Brubaker is joining the show as an executive producer and is heading the writers room. Season 1 is also said to have 10 episodes.

It's kind of surreal to see Ed Brubaker writing a Batman cartoon o_O.

I actually wonder if that means they'll draw anything from his tenure in Gotham...like his Catwoman run was pretty significant, so will that play into what they do with Selina in this show? Will Slam Bradley and Holly Robinson show up :)?

Also Lew Moxxon was a significant presence in this show, so I wonder if that could be a factor too :ack:.

Another thing was that the big culmination of Brubaker and Rucka's run was the Murder/Fugitive storyline, where Batman "killed' Bruce Wayne, so I wonder if that could be incorporated :eek:.

(Also maybe some of the detectives from Gotham Central turning up would be cool :cool:).

I wonder if 10 episodes will be the same for My Adventures with Superman :)?

JonnyQuest037

DCAU Historian
Ed Brubaker is joining the show as an executive producer and is heading the writers room. Season 1 is also said to have 10 episodes.

Terrific news! Brubaker is a great writer, and has done some great Batman stories. Gotham Central is one of my favorites.
Most excellent news. Feels a bit full circle as writers like the late Len Wein contributed to BTAS.
BTAS used LOTS of writers from the comics, starting with early Story Editor Marty Pasko. Marty hired a lot of comics people like Marv Wolfman, Len Wein, Denny O'Neil, Elliot S. Maggin, and Mike W. Barr. Gerry Conway was hired by fellow Story Editor Michael Reaves ("before I could get to him" according to Marty).

Last edited:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Wonderful news. I could NOT be more hyped for this show. Hopefully those 10 episodes will be the first of many.

Feels like Timm is really going for it with this series. I suppose if WB wants to lean heavily on his legacy with B:TAS, he wants to make sure the quality and vision matches it as much as possible.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
A little more information from Ed Brubaker's newsletter (might be worth signing up to as he could throw out little tidbits over the course of production):

Okay, so what else is going on...? One of my Hollywood things finally got announced...

Although this headline makes it seem like I just got this gig, I actually have been working on it for several months, and we already wrapped the virtual writing room and are barreling ahead towards production right now.

I had no intention of going back to superheroes at all, but I was a big fan of the original BTAS show, and when this came along, it just sounded like it would be too much fun to pass up. And I was right. We spent a couple months on zoom for half the day, kicking around ideas and laughing and coming up with some very cool episodes that I can't wait to see animated. The show is a complete reimagining of the character, not a sequel to BTAS, but like that cartoon it feels like it takes place in a kind of timeless 1940s or early 50s - no computers, no cell phones, yay -/ and it's really pulpy. Hopefully more adult at times, but still something kids can watch too. Like the Marvel movies or Star Wars, ratings-wise, I guess. PG? I'm not sure what they rate things as on streaming actually...

Anyway, I think you'll all dig it, and it was a lot of fun creating this first season, and I hope we get to do several more. Here's a tiny photo of our writing zoom room, on wrap day...

Clockwise from top left corner - that's Halley Gross, writer and Consulting Producer (who I have now worked with on a bunch of TV shows), then Sean Lee, our writers assistant, Jase Ricci, coEP and writer, Julie Osborn our line producer (who was just popping in to hang out on the last day), Adamma Ebo, another writer and Consulting Producer, James Tucker, our coEP and one of the main designers of the show, Adanne Ebo, also a writer and Consulting Producer (pay attention to the Ebo twins - they've already made their own movie and have two TV series in development) and then there's me laughing about something, and in the center of it all, Bruce Timm.

I wish I could tell you more about the show, but Warner Bros is like Fort Knox about this stuff, so that's all I can share for now.

Lordy, how many producers does this thing have?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A little more information from Ed Brubaker's newsletter (might be worth signing up to as he could throw out little tidbits over the course of production):
Jase Ricci, he's a producer and wrote a couple episodes of the DCSHG TV series. And Tucker did help out for several episodes. Wonder if that was a link the led to Ricci joining the team.

Julie Osborn has done post production for YJ Phantoms and the recent DTVs like Soul of the Dragon, JS:WW2 and Long Halloween. Though I suspect working with Timm on Soul would be that link.

Lordy, how many producers does this thing have?
Not in the realm of unbelievable. Part and parcel with productions. So Timm, Brubaker, Tucker, Ricci, and Osborn. Didn't think that'd be revealed in a newsletter but great catch, Pfeiffer-Pfan.

From what I understand, a consulting producer is aren't regular staff. They're specifically hired to assist the writers, producers, or directors usually to make sure there's accuracy in a topic they specialize in.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

I thought Jase Ricci was a man (as evidenced by how I mainly see male pronouns in regards to this name).

In any case, this does look to be pretty promising.

Frontier

Staff member
It feels like it takes place in a kind of timeless 1940s or early 50s - no computers, no cell phones, yay -/
This makes me wonder if anything "modern" might turn up other than maybe people of color being more prominent than you would have expected in the actual 40's or 50's. Given how they've described Batman's loadout, I guess that means no Bat-Computer. Which means the detective work is going to be really back-to-basics.
Hopefully more adult at times, but still something kids can watch too. Like the Marvel movies or Star Wars, ratings-wise, I guess. PG? I'm not sure what they rate things as on streaming actually...
People keep having questions about the tone and intended audience, so I hope that explains it well enough.

SweetShop209

This series is also said to be airing during Acme Night, right? The few times something animated was shown was the PG rated SCOOB while the live action movies (except Detective Pikachu) were PG-13. I'd say it would most likely be a hard PG if they want to have both kids and their parents to watch the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts