"Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate This Movie!

Votes: 149 74.5%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 36 18.0%

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• *1/2

Votes: 1 0.5%

• 1/2

• Total voters

J Knight5

This is still one of my favorite movies of all time. Saw it in the theater the day it came out, and I loved it ever since. I agree that the scene with Bruce talking to his parents grave in the rain is fantastic. Its one of my favorite Batman moments ever.

Dreyfus

That's probably the one thing I liked least about this movie. I don't think Bruce Wayne should be so "tragic-emo". Talking to your dead parents is kind of pushing it.

Dreyfus

I agree that the murders are a big part of why he chose to become Batman, but I think it should only be a source of motivation as opposed to the extremes that you sometimes see in the comics and in this particular scene. That kind of portrayal sort of takes away from the character.

SSJBatman

I agree that the murders are a big part of why he chose to become Batman, but I think it should only be a source of motivation as opposed to the extremes that you sometimes see in the comics and in this particular scene. That kind of portrayal sort of takes away from the character.
But don't forget that that was mainly Young Bruce, not Present Bruce. It's not that bad when I see it, to be honest. Even though he's Batman, he still does have feelings you know.

Dreyfus

I can see that point of view as well. The character is very much open to interpretation. Anyway, I need to watch this movie again. I just picked up a Mask of the Phantasm/Subzero 2-pack and have been putting another viewing off ever since. Let's hope the next origin story we get, Batman: Year One, will be even half as good as this was.

SSJBatman

I can see that point of view as well. The character is very much open to interpretation. Anyway, I need to watch this movie again. I just picked up a Mask of the Phantasm/Subzero 2-pack and have been putting another viewing off ever since. Let's hope the next origin story we get, Batman: Year One, will be even half as good as this was.
Exactly! I have to watch it again too, but yes, There really should be a difference between Young Bruce and Present one, it shows alot in his personal development. If Young Bruce were as "Keep Emotions hidden" As he is in the present, it doesn't show as much of a development as a more emotional/sensitive younger one. Or something like that if it makes sense /D

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
What, it's 2012 and we're getting all these Mask of the Phantasm posts on the same day? :)

Anyway, one of the last sites I ever expect to read commentary on the DCAU is espn.go.com, but one of their featured articles actually described MotP as the best of the 11 Batman theatrical releases. The author, for what it's worth, has been pretty critical of Nolan's movies for some time, so I'm not all that surprised he picked something else to be a top Batman movie. Either way, good for the DCAU. The Go network is the 14th most visited website in the US, so it's nice to see old cartoon classics get a nod. Just note the column is long (it's a weekly feature, and generally rambles a lot), and if you're not into sports most of it will be nonsense for you.

ESPN Tuesday Morning Quarterback 8/21/12

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Mondo will be holding a 35mm screening of the movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz on January 7th, 2014. As part of the celebration, Mondo will be giving away two new limited edition posters. Click here for additional details.

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Mondo will be holding a 35mm screening of the movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz on January 7th, 2014. As part of the celebration, Mondo will be giving away two new limited edition posters. Click here for additional details.

Wow... are those fan-made? I've never seen them before. They honestly could pass off as legitimate, studio-made film posters.

Lord Sidious

The ONLY flaw in this otherwise a great movie is Dana Delaney. She did great...BUT...

...I just can't separate that voice.....It's NOT Andrea....It's .....LOIS LANE!!

BUt that's just me.

I just can't get lost in this world knowing there are 2 people in this universe both hooked up with Bruce and sounds exactly the same.

I hope Dana would have changed her voice up a bit on her Lois Lane role or on this...OR which ever came first

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
The ONLY flaw in this otherwise a great movie is Dana Delaney. She did great...BUT...

...I just can't separate that voice.....It's NOT Andrea....It's .....LOIS LANE!!

BUt that's just me.

I just can't get lost in this world knowing there are 2 people in this universe both hooked up with Bruce and sounds exactly the same.

I hope Dana would have changed her voice up a bit on her Lois Lane role or on this...OR which ever came first

I have the opposite issue. Lois sounds like Andrea, since Andrea came first. Also, it creates another problem. This movie introduced me to the great chemistry Conroy and Delaney had together, so therefore, in the DCAU, Lois Lane has the most chemistry with Batman, not Superman.

Hordesman

slashor
I have the opposite issue. Lois sounds like Andrea, since Andrea came first. Also, it creates another problem. This movie introduced me to the great chemistry Conroy and Delaney had together, so therefore, in the DCAU, Lois Lane has the most chemistry with Batman, not Superman.

Maybe Andrea moved to metropolis, dyed her hair black and... :p

ABrown

Sorry to drag a thread out of the stone ages, but I gave this movie a rewatch and just had to post my thoughts. I found this movie still to be absolutely amazing even with it being over 20 years old. But specifically what I realized is that I find this movie to be far more entertaining as an adult than I did when I was younger. I don't think that there's really anything in this movie that would make it inappropriate for children. However, watching this movie, it just feels like this movie can be enjoyed on more levels as an adult than as a child. I never actually got to see the movie as a child, as I was already 12 years old when the movie came out. But I do remember watching the movie as a teenager and not finding the movie all that entertaining. I remember I didn't like all of the back and forth with the flashbacks. It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I really came to love this movie. I just feel like this movie has so much more to offer an adult than a child. I wonder if there's adults out there who were kids when this movie came out, and now they find the movie to be a lot more enjoyable now that they're in their 20's than they did when they were say 7,8,9 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hanshotfirst1138

Morphinomenal!
Still waiting on that Blu-ray, WB. Apparently a few Alamo Drafthouse locations ran some rare 35mm screenings of this a while back.

jkoolpe

Did you know it's getting a Fathom Events screening in November for its 25th anniversary? This doesn't come around often, so get your tickets if you want them. Still the best one out there. I'll definitely be in attendance.
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 25th Anniversary at an AMC Theatre near you

Thanks for posting this...I will definitely be attending in my area! The date is actually a holiday for me at work (Veteran's Day) so both me and my son are off of work and school, respectively so we'll both be going :) .

FYI, I saw the film around 7-8 times at the theater during its original theatrical run...there was a theater right near me that kept it running for about 3 months after it had been released, and I went about once a week or so figuring that this would be my only chance to see the wonder that was B:TAS on the big screen. Most other theaters only kept it around for a few weeks at most, but for whatever reason, this theater kept it longer...I certainly wasn't complaining...

So cool that I'll get one more chance to see this on a big screen again now some 25 years since then, and with my now 9-year-old kid! :D

Jon

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The most I ever saw a movie in a theater was Who Framed Roger Rabbit four times and Elmo in Grouchland four times too. The Elmo movie was quite an accomplishment considering it was only in theaters for two weeks during its initial run. But I saw more than one special screening the day after I walked out of the theater afterwards upon my first viewing, and bought another ticket just to see it again immediately. I still have two free posters from that theater hung up on my wall. (Front and Back).

Mask Of The Phantasm is another movie I would have seen a ton if it had hung around theaters longer. Ditto any rerelease of Fantasia.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
Another family emergency update (long story short):

After charging in and out of the hospital a few more times, my mother had to do a colonoscopy earlier this month and they detected colon cancer. So yesterday, she underwent colon surgery and is now 100% cancer-free.

Now she's in the ICU due to very low blood pressure, still in the process of recovery.
"Crabgrass" is coming back and also in newspapers from Monday, it's a great comic strip if you've not checked it out, you should. “Crabgrass” Will Officially Launch in Newspapers on Monday | GoComics.com
Why does society keep devolving for the last century or so, why is America 50 years behind where it should’ve been? And anybody who tries to makes things better will be swept under the rug or get screwed over by cancer or disease.

I hate to get political here especially but for what happened today I can’t help
Just sending out hearts and hugs to anyone who needs them on this awful day. You're not alone.
Hi, new profile picture I guess

Featured Posts