"Batwoman" (TV Series) News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Might sound weird considering she got her start as a VJ but honestly sounds like Ruby Rose probably doesn't do well working for a long period of time on major TV projects. I mean besides just a higher budget and more people involved on set there is a difference in TV actors and Movie actors in how a lot of the time TV actors are generally more expected to stay with a role a lot longer and spend more time overall on a project if it's a success since yeah takes more time to do an hour series with 24 episodes then even like 3 movies per year. Even though we are getting more mini series and more film actors going to TV there is still a line and I think in Ruby's case she's more generally comfortable in flicks then starring in a TV series.

honorableninja

that actually makes me wonder how the CW decides if a season gets 16 or 22 if Batwoman had been a sixteen episode series a season like Legends or Black lighting she might have stayed.

the_joker

I only recently started watching the Arrowverse shows on Netflix (well, starting July last year), and I've been going at a steady pace, so I won't start watching Batwoman anytime soon (too bad it won't be on Netflix), but seeing the lead actress leave the show is quite shocking. And things look pretty rough for the show so far as its first season was also cut short by the pandemic. I'm hoping things will go well for Ruby Rose and the show.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Hmm, on one hand, that's loyal of them not to recast Kate and on the other, it's like a soft reboot and really change the character dynamics. But I suspect they'll explain Kate doesn't suspect that's the real Bruce and left Gotham in search of him. And we could have a quasi Batman Beyond nod with this new character stealing the Batsuit for personal reasons but ultimately becoming a hero. I'd guess "Ryan Wilder" is place holder name - wonder who it could really be... Stephanie Brown? Katrina Netz? Carrie Kelley? Hmm...

Greg91

Reporter
Well, that's just awkward.
I think the DCCW trinity at least had a couple or more seasons before their successor puts on a costume.
If they're going to do that, the show is going to be so different. How will they explain Kate's absence, especially following Batman's absence in the Arrowverse for years? What role will characters like Alice, Mary and Jacob play if their familial connection to the main character is missing? I'm not sure what the point of the show will be or how much the ratings will change.
I'd guess "Ryan Wilder" is place holder name - wonder who it could really be... Stephanie Brown? Katrina Netz? Carrie Kelley? Hmm...
Maybe they could rebrand the series as a Bat family show with a new Batwoman as the lead. I suppose Stephanie Brown could work alongside Luke suiting up as Batwing and someone else.

I don't really know but this series is going to have an interesting future. I feel sorry for the showrunner and remaining cast members.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, that's just awkward.
I think the DCCW trinity at least had a couple or more seasons before their successor puts on a costume.
...I'm really not sure what to think of this :confused:.

I mean, I don't see the sense in not recasting unless they're planning for potentially bringing Ruby Rose back, but the details about the breakup leave me to believe that wouldn't be the case. Now they have to re-structure the entire show, supporting cast, and Arrowverse dynamic with a completely different character, on-top of having to justify them as Batwoman when they're likely to have no real tie to the role compared to Bruce Wayne's cousin. It just seems like a headache that you could just as easily avoid through recasting :ack:.

And...honestly, just from that description I have a hard time seeing this new character as Batwoman, aside from the skills she apparently has. I don't see this ending well :(.
Hmm, on one hand, that's loyal of them not to recast Kate and on the other, it's like a soft reboot and really change the character dynamics. But I suspect they'll explain Kate doesn't suspect that's the real Bruce and left Gotham in search of him. And we could have a quasi Batman Beyond nod with this new character stealing the Batsuit for personal reasons but ultimately becoming a hero. I'd guess "Ryan Wilder" is place holder name - wonder who it could really be... Stephanie Brown? Katrina Netz? Carrie Kelley? Hmm...
None of those three are out lesbians (although I don't think Carrie Kelley has ever had a romantic interest to begin with)...she sounds more like Holly Robinson, if anyone.

hobbyfan

I don't know if DC is in the loop on any of this since the series is based on their book.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm going to guess its going to be Harper Row since she is another bat family member who is lgbt and super angsty.
Ruby Rose kind of looks like Harper Row more then she does Kate Kane :p.

I don't see Harper as highly-trained or a drug runner though...

reflection01

This is great news. Ruby Rose was a bore. Kate Kane wasn’t a great character. Maybe they can relegate her to a special guest star in a few episodes.

I like the idea of her going to search for Bruce. Doing more with Mary and creating more of a Mary vs. Alice dynamic is great. Both were highlights of the first season. Do that and give Luke a life outside of the Batcave and a reciprocal relationship with Batwoman.

What do we know about the rest of the Batfamily? Wouldn’t mind seeing Dick and Barbara.

Ryan Wilder sounds like a fake name from a Van Wilder fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
A combo of the Holly Robinson from the old and Prime canons does kinda fit the casting call. Perhaps using her comic origins, they could be thinking of making the Many Arms of Death the terrorist group that destroyed her orphanage. Maybe even keep her link to Selina and training under her. And in the old canon, after a marriage ended, she ended up back in the streets... addicted to drugs but cleaned up and was the new Catwoman for a time -- change that here for Batwoman. Hmm.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Recasting the role would have been smarter especially because of the Hush twist and the fact that the season was unfinished. If it hadn't been and the arc had been wrapped up properly that would be okay. As it stands they are upending the entire show in a period when everything is already up in the air.

Frankly that shows far more loyalty to Rose that her rumored on-set behavior warranted.

Frontier

Staff member
This is great news. Ruby Rose was a bore. Kate Kane wasn’t a great character. Maybe they can relegate her to a special guest star in a few episodes.
Well, setting aside her portrayal on the show, Kate Kane as a character is great and basically defines the identity of Batwoman. I think the most disappointing aspect of this was that Ruby Rose had honestly improved a lot by the last episode of the current season.
I like the idea of her going to search for Bruce. Doing more with Mary and creating more of a Mary vs. Alice dynamic is great. Both were highlights of the first season. Do that and give Luke a life outside of the Batcave and a reciprocal relationship with Batwoman.
I have a hard time believing she would be willing to leave Gotham in the state it's in just to find Bruce.
What do we know about the rest of the Batfamily? Wouldn’t mind seeing Dick and Barbara.
They made a joke about Robin, but otherwise that's just it.
A combo of the Holly Robinson from the old and Prime canons does kinda fit the casting call. Perhaps using her comic origins, they could be thinking of making the Many Arms of Death the terrorist group that destroyed her orphanage. Maybe even keep her link to Selina and training under her. And in the old canon, after a marriage ended, she ended up back in the streets... addicted to drugs but cleaned up and was the new Catwoman for a time -- change that here for Batwoman. Hmm.
I really hated that retcon, but on-top of other creative choices they seem to be making here, I guess it wouldn't surprise me :sweat:.

Last edited:

Troy Troodon

Honestly they should just cancel the show altogether. Kate Kane IS Batwoman, and replacing her with a completely made up character from scratch, even if she is another Lesbian, will just throw off the audience.

Then again if they do decide to continue, then I'd rather think of Batwoman as ritual slogan, where any woman of any walk of life can take the mantle. Maybe something similar to the Mystery of Batwoman movie from the DCAU.

Last edited:

Road to Gotham

Seems like a screwy solution to me. Will see how it turns out in 2021.

Based on ELSEWORLDS and CRISIS I thought Ruby and Melissa had good chemistry together in a non romantic way.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The official Belgian passport will soon have Smurfs, Marsupilamis, Tintin, Spirou, Lucky Luke and other Belgian comic book characters on it.
what happened to Nostalgialodeon twitter user? Now it shows as twitter account doesn't exist

Bella/Big from Polly Pocket reminds me of Big Barda from DC Superhero Girls 2015, being a physically strong character who's initially antagonistic before becoming a friend to the main characters, and showing a softer side. Rhona Rees even seems to channel a voice similar to Misty Lee. I know Shea Fontana developed both shows, but still.
Asa wrote on kanc's profile.
I’m hoping the first Madagascar movie finally airs on Nickelodeon this year. They’ve only played the sequels so far.
Feels like I’m the only person who uses Opera

Featured Posts